Dr. Maria Rivero MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

October 27th, 2016
Dr. Rivero has been my doctor for 20+ years
Dr. Rivero is a caring, through, knowledgeable physician who's primary objective is keeping her patients healthy (or returning them to that state as soon as possible).

October 23rd, 2016
Established patient
I have been a patient of Dr. Rivero for over 20 years and enjoy so much my visits.. She is a wonderful, excellent and very caring doctor.

October 6th, 2016
I see Dr. Rivero once a year for my annual well woman exam. I could eliminate this visit and simply see my internist but I am very comfortable with her and am very confident in her experience and knowledge. Occasionally through the years there have been some wait time issues due to an OB emergency or delivery. Overall, I'm ok with that. Dr. Rivero always answers questions and spends as much time as necessary with her patients.

June 19th, 2016
I love Dr Rivero. She has taken care of my needs for years.

May 31st, 2016
Can usually can get a appointment quickly if it is a urgent matter, however if routine sometimes there is a wait. Staff is great and Dr. Rivero takes her time with you and answers any questions that you may have. I have been seeing her for 16 years and couldn't ask for a better obgyn.

May 16th, 2016
I have been going to Dr, Rivero for many years. She is a great doctor. She listens and problem solves. She has helped me many times, and she has always made time in case of emergencies.

February 25th, 2016
Dr Rivero has been my OB/GYN for 4 pregnancies including my 2nd which was a miscarriage and my last where I had twins. I would trust her with my life and the life of my children which is the most critical element when selecting a doctor. She has always been kind, compassionate, extremely knowledgeable, professional, and extremely experienced having seen all kinds of concern, issues, and types of deliveries. Her quick actions during the delivery of my first child literally saved my life as my placenta had tore, and I was bleeding rapidly. Her nurse had told her she had all my placenta which was not true, and she recognized the signs. She also ensured the delivery nurse was giving enough pain medications early on. Throughout my pregnancies her concern was for both the health of myself and my baby. She made certain I clearly understood everything regarding any decisions or care. She referred me to specialized care when required (which by the way meant she was not making more money, and it is ridiculous to me that a few of the reviews believe she is making money from more lab tests, hospital visits, or specialist. She is trying to give you the same care she would want for herself and her child.) She helped me make decisions with my twins on how much bed rest, if I should do a C-section, etc, and I knew she had several other twin pregnancies ahead of mine which gave me comfort. She is very compassionate, but like a good doctor she tells you the truth. She can’t always control the truth or predict the future. It is her job to make sure you understand as much of the truth as she knows based on the best information she has from tests, her knowledge and experience, and exams. It is also her job to help you reduce any risk for your health and the baby’s health. She has a kind heart to take on a percentage of less fortunate. I feel like some of the lower ratings are because she is caring for less fortunate (where some doctors prefer not to), and they tend to write lower reviews with poor grammar. Bottom-line: She is one of the best doctors: knowledgeable, professional, compassionate, and kind. She not so compassionate as to hide the truth or let you ignore real risks to feel good. You want your medical doctor to be the best medical doctor when delivering a baby.

October 29th, 2014
No Compassion at all
I used Dr. Rivero for my pregnancy ONLY because of Shawn, if Shawn ever becomes a doctor she will be the BEST. From my first meeting with Dr. Rivero my husband and I were both not happy with her attitude. She was so cold and did talk down to us. It was Shawn who got me to stay, she did all my testing and was so sweet and genuine that she just made me feel at ease. I was 40 years old and pregnant with baby #2 first baby is 20 so I was pretty nervous about my pregnancy. For the nine months Shawn was my savior, NOT the doctor. I must admit during c-section delivery Dr Rivero was excellent but afterwards my body issues and mammogram concerns have become a nightmare and she will not even give me an ounce of compassion. I am so upset with her that I will NEVER step foot in that office again. So I agree with all the other reviewers, she is good technically but she has no heart behind it. I hate to be ugly about her, but it's really emotionally devastating when you can't find a doctor who cares for your overall well-being.

June 24th, 2014
Wonderful
I don't know what everyone is talking about with her bedside manner. It's just fine. She is very direct and wants you to have no confusion about your care or your baby's health. I like a doctor who is going to be up front and honest, but that's just me, I guess! When I was hospitalized at the beginning of my second pregnancy, the nurses told me that she continued to call to see how I was doing when she was no longer on call. That sounds like she cared to me! She delivered both of my children, one in 2009 and one in 2013. Yes, wait time is a little long. She is definitely worth it. Her practitioner, Shawn, is stellar. I work in the NICU in a neighboring hospital where Dr. Rivero does not deliver. I asked some labor and delivery nurses who have worked with her before if she was a good doctor. They think she is a wonderful doctor. I'm sorry, but an experienced L&D nurse is going to know if an OB is safe or not. Oh, and by the way, there are doctors on here being given 4 star reviews that I would NEVER let touch me and ESPECIALLY not my child! I'll take competent and knowledgable over bedside manner any day of the week.

December 6th, 2013
I've used this doctor for a few years now. She's great. Yes, you wait a while in the waiting room for your appointment but she gives you the same time that she gives everyone else. To me, she's worth the wait. I trust her with my life and my unborn childrens lives. She's amazing in the delivery room.

June 15th, 2013
horrible bedside manner
I will not go back to Dr. Rivero for my next pregnancy. The wait time is awful and once you see her she is short and rude, she talks down to you when answering questions and can be very judgmental. Her office staff is nice especially the lady that does her bloodwork and the ultrasound technician. Her nurse however will not answer her phone or return messages. Dr, Rivero's over all attitude towards patients is so awful I try to schedule appointments when she is away so I can just deal with the nurse practitioner who is much nicer. I would recommend to save yourself the trouble and find a doctor who is just as knowledgeable but has a better bedside manner.

June 5th, 2013
Great OB
Dr. Rivero has a great bedside manner and makes time to discuss concerns