Dr. Maria Veturia-Tulpan MD Patient Reviews

August 20th, 2016
excellent

April 15th, 2015
Great doctor
Dr Tulpan is a very competent doctor and a caring person. The exam was thorough, she answered all my questions and her advise was not only based on sound medical practice but also on a healthy and appropriate lifestyle, which I truly appreciate and find comforting. Her staff was friendly and efficient, and it was so convenient to be able to go there on Saturday!

April 3rd, 2015
Caring and competent doctor
Maria visited me for the first time 2 years ago. I was a bit worried about my cholesterol and my thyroid. I live in Sorrento, on the Amalfi Coast in southern Italy, and thyroid illness is very frequent in the area due to the presence of "tufo" in the old houses, a particular kind of stone, and to the lack of iodine. She was friendly and warm. She took in person my blood for examination and I didn't feel any pain, even if my veins are very difficult to be found and I was a bit scared because, when other doctors took my blood in the past, they had to try a lot of times and after that my arms were painful for several days. What a miracle for me: with just one try, Maria has been able to take my blood! She made me do an exam for the thyroid. After getting the results, she told me I didn't need any medicine, no statins for the cholesterol, which my doctor in Italy prescribed, and no medicine for the thyroid. She told me to be more careful about food and exercise. So now every winter when I am, as usual, in New York City for a few months I see her. She repeats all exams to check again my situation. Since then, my cholesterol is down and my thyroid is still fine and under control. I want again to thank Maria: she is a competent doctor who truly cares about the well being of her patients.

March 23rd, 2015
DO NOT VISIT
Worst experience ever with a doctor. They were shady with my test results saying they never received them. It was a biopsy you do not hold out the test results to try to get extra money from the patient. I got the biopsy on the 12th it was faxed on the 13th and its is now the 23rd and the office was trying to tell me they still did not have the results from the biopsy. I would not recommend going to this doctor, she did not spend a lot of time with me going over anything and the office staff is horrible! Also very shady and cruel to make someone worry about results due to their lies!
Doctor's Response

Dear Jaclyn O, First, please accept my apologies for your negative experience with my office. I strive to provide the best possible medical care for my patients and when this high standard is not met, I take it very seriously. I am also very much aware of how difficult and painful it can be waiting for critical test results and I and my staff do everything we can to ensure that results are conveyed to my patients as soon as possible. I hope that this explanation can put the events that led up to your negative review in context, and that you understand that my major preoccupation is with the health and wellbeing of all my patients. I take patients comments seriously and would like to address your particular concerns about the delay in getting your biopsy results. As you mention, the biopsy was taken on the 12th and I later found out that the results were faxed to the radiology center on the same day. When you called on the 20th to find out about the results, I became aware that the radiology center had not sent them to me. Unfortunately, I did not know when you had your biopsy and therefore could not have anticipated this. Of course, as soon as I became aware of the issue, I had my medical assistant call the radiology center first thing on Saturday, the 21st. She was told that the report was not yet ready. We then called again on Monday morning, 23rd, and we were again told that they did not have the results, although you were told otherwise by them. When you came to my office early Monday morning, we called for a third time, and they finally located the report, faxed it to us immediately and we gave it to you in person. The day after, I personally contacted the radiology center to find out what happened. It appears that they had misplaced the report and were unable to locate it until Monday. When they were told of the problem, they apologized profusely, and assured me that they were taking it very seriously and will take action to make sure this doesn't happen again. The VP of Operations has subsequently informed me that she called on the 26th to inform you of the same and to apologize directly. Over the many years and hundreds of patients that I have referred to them, this kind of error has never happened before. They are a very professional and competent center and their response to this serious delay proves it. As for the fee for a post-biopsy consultation, your expectation that this would be without charge is not a reasonable one. It takes time to analyze and discuss the results and a follow-up plan, and answering your questions, charging a consultation fee is entirely appropriate. You had discussed this on the phone with my medical assistant, so I am not sure why this was a surprise later on. I believe that it is essential to the doctor/patient relationship to maintain trust, so my policies and rates are clearly and transparently spelled out in the patient sign-in form that you were given and which you signed. Patient care is, and always will be, my top most priority. Finally, I want to reassure you that I have put a great deal of thought into hiring and training my medical assistants who do a great job day in and day out. I am certain that they provide each and every patient with professional courtesy and sensitivity. They perform their challenging duties professionally, with competence and honesty. They are wiser than their young age might suggest and I am so proud of and thankful for both of them! I hope that if you ever encounter another issue, you will allow the professional service provider the opportunity to directly address your concerns before posting a negative review. I am sure you will agree with me that mutual compassion, honesty and professionalism are the starting points for any meaningful relationship. I wish you the best. Sincerely, Maria Tulpan MD

January 23rd, 2015
First Time Visit
My first visit with Dr. Tulpan was awful. She was extremely rude and judgemental. She talo me I was an attractive woman but now "Look at you!" Referring to my weight. She treated me as if I weren't there half the time and said she'd call me on Monday with my results and to discuss them. That was three months ago and I'm still waiting for the call. If you want a doctor who will treat you like a fellow human being, go elsewhere.
Doctor's Response

Dear Patient, First, please accept my apologies for your negative experience with my office. I strive to provide the best possible medical care for my patients and when this high standard is not met, I take it very seriously. I place great emphasis on nutrition and a healthy lifestyle as a complement to appropriate medical treatment and I can assure you that anything I say or do is based on the desire to help my patients. If what I said and how I said it might have offended you, it was not my intention to do so. I hope that this explanation can put the events that led up to your negative review in context. I only found out about your review on this site last week, and there is no name for me to check my records. My staff and I always try our best to communicate results in a timely manner, a three months delay is unheard of. If this is indeed the case, please contact my office and we'll be glad to assist you. I wish you well. Maria Tulpan, MD

October 4th, 2013
not interested in talking about my problem. dismissive.
another doctor who doesn't really care about healing. she just does some tests and prescribes medication. she is not interested in what you have to say and i don't get the feeling she is on top of any advancements in her field. she's by the book, which to me means she's not a good doctor. disappointed.

April 13th, 2013
DR. TULPAN IS AN OUTSTANDING IN DIAGNOSIS OF MY CASE AND TAKING CARE OF THE PROBLEM.

February 21st, 2013
Mixed results
Dr. Tulpan was able to test for and recognize a potentially life-threatening condition, and ordered prophylactic medication to prevent a crisis while I was recently delivering my son—another endo I saw who was affiliated with my OB's office decided to ignore my test results and not put emergency measures in place, which would have been very bad, given the course my labor took. However, I've called four times now to discuss what our next steps should be—routine treatment, testing, typing?—and have never received a call back. She also told my OB at least twice that she planned to call me to discuss test results, and never did. Four stars for convincing my OB to have possibly life-saving measures in place, one star for communication skills. I have to find another endocrinologist to follow me now because Dr. Tulpan is so utterly unavailable.

January 25th, 2013
I would not recommend Dr. Tulpan, she is scattered, never remembers me, is sometimes confused why I'm there, always asks me the same questions about my background, and does not call me with results. i have to call her and leave a message, then after a while she calls back

September 20th, 2012
Unprofessional
First of all in order to obtain an initial consultation, I couldn't even get through on the phone since person answering kept putting me on hold...finally got appointment...after a few tests were performed outside of office I had to repeatedly call to get test results. Finally giving up since this doctor obviously is too busy to return calls. Horrible!!!

July 19th, 2012
Dr. Tulpan is an excellent doctor. Do not let her seemingly abrupt and "woman of few words" style fool you. That is just her style - get over it. She is an excellent, caring doctor, concerned about getting it right, not overcharging, and apologizing and making it right if/when someone in her office makes an administrative mistake. Be a human being when you go. Bringing your humanity and sense of humor to your appointment will go far. Doctors and their staffs are human beings, too.

June 21st, 2012
Dr. Tulpan was very rude, judgemental and most importantly- WRONG!!! I went in, presenting symptoms of hypothyroidism, all of which she attributed to poor diet and lack of what she deemed "adequate exercise" (symptoms including hair loss, fainting spells and extended menstruation). After 2 days of my calling to get my test results back, she finally called to say I had a Vitamin D deficiency, which of course is a side effect of-hypothyroidism. I promptly made an appointment with a different endocrinologist who indeed confirmed that I was suffering from hypothyroidism and also detected PCOS! Dr. Tulpan either needs a refresher course in her specialty or to give up her practice, because clearly her patients health is the last thing she is concerned with!