Dermatologist (skin)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Aug 29th, 2014

Very nice staff!

|  GREAT JOB!  |  show details
by Lisa Emerson on May 7th, 2014

Loved her! She made me very comfortable and I had remarkable results from the procedures that I had preformed! She had great bedside manners and spent a lot of time with me. Her staff called and checked on me the following day! THANKS!!!

Dec 5th, 2013

Dr. Northington is a nice doctor, but, she seems to be very busy and the waiting time is very long. I feel she does not take enough time for me as a patient and always seems to be in a hurry. Her staff is very courteous and seem to care about her patients.

|  Good at what she does!  |  show details
by K on Oct 8th, 2013

Dr. Northington was very attentive to my cosmetic concerns. As I get older, wrinkles and new "bumps" develop and she has treatment options for all of them. She makes the experience fun and never pushes any treatments or procedures. While sometimes there is a wait, I understand that she attends to all needs of her patients and has overbooked me before.

|  Great help for Rosacea  |  show details
by Anna M. on Sep 16th, 2013

Dr. Northington's laser treatment of Rosacea was tremendously successful on my face. She also prescribed Finacea for ongoing treatment, and it has really made a difference in my appearance. I not only had very red skin before, but also increased in redness if I became overheated. The combination of laser treatment and Finacea has stopped that entirely. It is wonderful to look "normal" again. She is also a very nice person who seems genuinely interested in her patients. I can recommend her without any reservations.

Aug 20th, 2013

Dr. Northington has made my skin look amazing. Dr. Norhtington skills with Botox and fillers are the best. I could not be more pleased with her services and would highly recommend her. My fiance says I am a natural beauty,.... little does he know!

|  Office Visit  |  show details
by Jean O. Carter on Aug 3rd, 2013

I have been with Dr. Northington for two years and I can't even find words to express what a wonderful dermatologist she is !! She is smart and knows what to do about any skin complaint I may have. She has done thermage for me, juvaderm, Botox, restylane and she has recently treated my varicose veins and as I speak, I am wearing the most god awful tight panty hose ever made !!!! But that's what the doctor ordered and I'm obedient !! She is a joy to be around because she is cheerful and she wears a smile ! I moved here from Atlanta where I had a dermatologist who was chairman of the department at Emory . I thought there couldn't be anyone comparable to Dr. Hailey so for a few years after coming to Birmingham I drove back to Atlanta to see him. Then along came this perfectly beautiful lady I learned about from Dr. Elewski . And I'm staying put !!! I also want to mention Dr. Cesar Guerrero who is a resident working with Dr. Northington . He spent some time with me and I was quite impressed . He made eye contact with me while I talked which showed me he was focused on me . He was unusually kind and taught me a few things about my very thin skin . He said he is learning a lot from Dr. Northington and feels very fortunate to have her teaching. His manners are a statement of what a true gentleman he is . I believe that wherever he goes he will be a star !

|  Youthful glow  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2013

Thanks to Dr. Northington, my skin looks better at 50 than it ever has. She has the talent and the skills to make your skin look naturally younger, without that "fake, worked on" look. With her warm disposition, I always look forward to my appointments. I could not be happier with Dr. Northington and the results I have gotten.

|  Results  |  show details
by Thrilled on Jun 17th, 2013

Very nice person to know who is very skillful restoring lovely skin to those with sun damage. Would not go to anyone else, she gives you results with her extensive experience.

|  Greatest Dermatologist Ever!  |  show details
Jun 5th, 2013

Dr. Northington is an amazing dermatologist! She is fellowship-trained and specializes in cosmetic and laser procedures! She treats anything skin-related, including acne, skin cancer, sun damage, and wrinkles. Dr. Northington has a great bedside manner, and loves to accomodate her patients! She is an excellent person, and wants to help her patients out to treat their unique skin issues!

|  Terrific dermatologist.  |  show details
by Mrs. C. B. Barnes on May 5th, 2013

Dr Northington is extremely efficient in all aspects of her practice. She explains exactely what to expect before, during, and after a procedure, there by putting one at ease. I HIGHLY recomend Dr. Northington to my friends that are looking for a dermatologist who is fellowship trained in cosmetic surgery, doing Fraxel Laser procedures, plus general dermatology. She is the number one dermatologist in Birmingham!!!

|  Office Visit  |  show details
by Tracy H on May 5th, 2013

I would highly recommend Dr. Northington. She is simply the best at what she does. She has helped me and my four children with all of our dermatological concerns and we have gotten amazing results. She is always caring and professional as is her office staff. It is a joy to visit her clinic.

|  Not just skin  |  show details
May 1st, 2013

Dr. Northington is by far the most giving of herself and her time that I have ever seen in a Physician. She has treated myself, family and friends. I can say, I don't know any other Physician that you can walk up with no appointment and be seen on that day. I don't know any other Physician that would come in early to accommodate a patient to make them happy. I don't know any other Physician that would come in for a patient on her off day to do a procedure for a special occasion. I don't know any other Physician that would stay late because a patient came in earlier and could not stay. But would offer to stay late so they could come back later to have their procedure done on that day. I don't know any other Physician that would consult and treat on the same day. I don't know any other Physician that would see a guest just because they where there with their Friend, Husband or Wife just to make things convenient for them. I don't know an other Physician quite like Dr.Marian Northington. She is the whole package Beauty and Brains. I have never seen her act inappropriate in any way with her patients. She is very dedicated to her work to a fault. She has very strong moral and ethical values. Her appearance has nothing to do with the excellent, professional, exceptional service and respect that is given to each and every one of her patients. So if one can't see past her appearance and see how kind, giving and unselfish of herself she is then you are missing out on a very gifted Dermatologist. One should only hope to have a Physician that would do everything she could to help you gain the confidence you desire. She understands as a woman what it means to feel good in your skin. She's not just treating your skin she's treating your self esteem. Thank you for being AMAZING and making me feel BEAUTIFUL!!!!

|  Excellent Service  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2013

I was impressed when I went to go see Dr. Northington. Not only was my appointment speedy and sufficient, but she actually cares about all her patients and is fun to talk to. I would highly recommend her to anyone in need of her service.

by Alice on Apr 30th, 2013

She was very friendly and is dedicated to making all of clients feel comfortable. You can tell that she really loves what she does and works extremely hard to be the best.

|  Excellent Cosmetic Dermatologist  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2013

First of all it is important to know that Dr Northington is a fellowship trained dermatologist. That means she did an extra year of study and learned cosmetic dermatology procedures. I have been told that she was fortunate enough to do this under one of the nations best and highly respected cosmetic dermatologist. This fact helped when I was deciding who to use as a derm doc. Not all dermatologist have done this extra year of work but want to do cosmetics to drive revenue. The problem is not all of them have the proper training. Furthermore, I found her to be very proficient, professional, courteous, and extremely generous with her time. She made me feel like I was the most important person in the room and that she had no place else to be but right there! I have had both general and cosmetic dermatology procedures from her and the most important thing to note is the SHE DOES HER OWN PROCEDURES! A lot of other dermatologist have their nurses or techs do their procedures! Furthermore, I had the Fraxel Restore done by her and couldn't be happier with my results. It made my acne scaring 95% better, evened my skin color, tightened my skin and ultimately made me look MUCH younger. Again, she performed this procedure herself. I understand that there are few if any doctors in the country that are more experienced than her at performing this procedure. Her nurses told me that Doctor Northington performs more Fraxel procedures than anyone else in the country. Additionally, I have had both fillers and botox from her. The concentration of her Botox is much higher than most and therefore last longer! I thought it was nice when I found out that for a time Dr Northington trained other dermatologist how to inject both Botox and Fillers. Last but not least, contrary to what the uninformed person down the board stated down the board, Doctor Northington is in fact trained in Mohs surgery. I have had personal friends that have had extremely difficult Mohs cases performed by her and they couldn't be happier with how she left little to no sign behind from the procedure! So, if you want to go to the best Cosmetic Dermatologist in the city who performs her own procedures, that's fellowship trained, then choose Dr Northington. If you choose to go some place else where a tech/nurse does your procedure then good luck to you. It's just your face your talking about.

|  Won't go to any other dermatologist!  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2013

I've been seeing Dr. Northington for over 6 years for my severe acne and scarring. She is ALWAYS kind and truly invested in my problems. She makes you feel at ease as soon as she walks into the room. She takes the time to discuss the pros and cons of different procedures and medicines and we've determined a few methods wouldn't be ideal for me based on these discussions. You can tell she is concerned with your overall health as well as your dermatological health. This has always made me feel safe under her care. After finding the right acne medications and ointments that work for me and a few sessions of fraxel laser treatments, you would never guess that my face used to be covered in acne and scarring. Í have also been to her for different issues such as rashes and having spots removed before they become problematic or cancerous. I've recommended her to several friends over the years for different problems, some of which are committed to driving 80 miles one way just to be seen by her. She is truly the best dermatologist I've ever been to. The waiting that others have referred to is just because she is a very popular and successful doctor. She takes her time with each patient which pushes the schedule behind a little sometimes. I would rather wait in the room a little longer or have an appointment time that wasn't my first choice and go to Dr. Northington than see someone less qualified and professional just to be seen exaclty on time.

|  Fellowship Trained in Cosmetic Dermatology  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2013

Dr. Northington is one of the most advanced trained and experienced cosmetic dermatologists in Birmingham Dr. Northington is specialized in all sorts of skin clearing and tightening procedures including botox , skin resurfacing, thermage and liposonix, and treatment for spider veins. She is extremely friendly and will work to fit you. I highly recommend her!

Sep 4th, 2012

Very good Doctor

|  Great long term care  |  show details
Aug 27th, 2012

Dr. Northington has taken care of me for at least 5 years. I have had several procedures done of various seriousness.All had positive outcomes. I see her at least twice a year. Very good person and excellent Dr. Highly recommend her.William C. McDonald III

|  Not so sure  |  show details
Aug 10th, 2012

I have been going to see Dr. Northington for about 3 yrs. and the staff in her office is great. But, it is sometimes hard for me to get a good scheduling time. She seems to be extemely busy and my waiting time is anywhere from 45 min. to up to an hour or more. Then she seems to rush through her treatment with me and does not cover as much area as other doctors I've seen in the past have. Her bedside manners is sometimes alright and others not so sure about. I am thinking about going somewhere else in the future.

|  Awesome Doctor  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2012

I've been to several doctors for my port wine stain and she's been the most proficient, professional, and caring of all. She really takes the time to address the issue and solve the problem. I've read the other reviews and cannot understand any negative review of this physician. I see her 8 times a year and would never dream of changing. If you have a negative review of her you may need to look in the mirror.

|  Simply put, she's the best!  |  show details
Jun 4th, 2012

Dr. Northington is one of the most caring physicians I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. She's extremely knowledgable in treating Hidradenitis Suppurativa. She's professional yet very easy to talk to and has a great sense of humor.

Apr 12th, 2012

My son had some laser surgery with Dr.Northington,she was very pleasant and so was her staff and especially her nurse.I found her to be very proffessional and she took time with my son to explain the procedure that he was having done.He has to go back and have more laser surgery done and I am confidient he will get the results he was wanting.I am glad that he made the choice to go to Dr.Northington.

|  Dr. Northington is wonderful!  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2012

She is a great doctor. Her attitude was upbeat and she took great care of me. My first time seeing her and she knew exactly what to do and got right on treatment for my rosacea. She answered all my questions and did not mind spending the time with me. She did not seem like she was rushing me like some in the past have. I will be using her again and also telling others about her.

Aug 16th, 2011

Very absent-minded and impatient, though she was trying to appear casual with you. Will not go back to her again.

|  Poor  |  show details
by Sally Hansod on Oct 16th, 2010

Made me wait 30 minutes in the room, she came in and went out within 5 minutes. Told me my skin looked good and left. She did not do the procedure she was supposed to do. Previously I was there to do a procedure and was told I was there on the incorrect date for procedures...that cost me $50 co pay. Then I made appt for the procedure day and the Doctor told me to come back another time as she was running late...again another $50 gone. Needless to say I am getting another Doctor.

|  I trust her  |  show details
by Darcy on Mar 12th, 2010

Dr. Northington is an upbeat, knowledgeable doctor who is good with lasers. My vascular rosacea and eczema were severe when I met her. I'm doing much better because of Dr. Northington.

|  Extremely bright and efficient  |  show details
by Darcy on Nov 6th, 2009

I had seen at least 5 Dermatologists before Dr. Northington. She is the first one who truly listened and she is the first one who thought "outside the box" and actually helped me with my difficult condition.

|  First appt  |  show details
by Jen on Oct 29th, 2009

I had my first appt today and ended up needing some outpatient surgery. Dr. Northington was fantastic--warm and professional with a sense of humor. I'll definitely see her again.