Dr. Marie Steinmetz MD Patient Reviews

• Family Medicine Alexandria, VA

2.3

March 28th, 2013
Horrible experience
This was one of the worst experience of my life. I went to this practice because I was on estrogen and progesterone and began having an imbalance. I was hoping these doctors would help me with my hormones. I gave them my previous lab reports and despite the fact they showed I had high progesterone levels they gave me a a sublingual progesterone at a high dose and it made me even sicker. After seeing Dr. Rose and Dr. Shiffman I saw Dr. Steinmetz who said she thought my problem may be more serious like fibroids or an adrenal tumor. So she told me to go off of estrogen and progesterone cold turkey even though I told her I would feel awful without it. Then she proceeded to do test after expensive test and I had a severe crash without any hormones left in my body. I had major panic attacks and hot flashes to the point I thought I had a hormone producing tumor. I couldn't even go into a supermarket or barely get out of my car for having so much anxiety. I also lost 12 pounds in a month and a half. I thought I had cancer! The office never called me to give me my test results, I had to call several times. Then they said everything came back normal and later they sent the tests in the mail and I was dismayed to find one of them was not normal. I went into such a severe state of anxiety from this doctor telling me to get off of hormones so abruptly I went to 4 emergency rooms and racked up thousands of dollars and Dr. Steinmetz thought she was doing me a favor by handing me a free bottle of some natural menopause formula for hot flashes. These doctors know nothing about helping menopausal women or bioidentical hormones. All they want to do is run expensive tests and sell their homeopathic junk that will not suffice for a woman's hormone replacement. This was awful.

May 18th, 2012
Is Medicine all About Money?
I went to the practice in 2005 and the office led me to believe that I had coverage. They deny that of course. When I explained my situation to DR M. steinmetz, she responded that my BCBS PPO was one of the worst insurances available and subsequently set her collection agency on me. I eventually gave up and just let it go. the quality of care is not the issue but there definiely appears to be a ethics issue.

February 2nd, 2012
Excellent diagnostician, but.
Dr. Steinmetz is an excellent diagnostician. That being said, the practice is all about money. I was treated very rudely when I asked if I could have my lab work done where I could get it done under my insurance, rather than having it done at her office where I was paying considerably more. She refused and told me that I made more than she does (sincerely doubt that is correct).

May 29th, 2009
Fantastic Doctor
I've had Dr. Steinmetz as my GP for the last several years and came to her after a bad experience with another MD in the metro area. Her combination of holistic and western medicine was a welcome change, as well as her attention to detail, state-of-the art record keeping, and the amount of time she spends with me every time I see her. My only regret is that this office does not participate in any insurance programs, and my insurance considers them too expensive, so I've had to pay out of pocket. Sadly, I'm trying to find another doctor at the moment that is "in-network" but I'll miss Dr. Steinmetz!!
Doctor's Response

Unfortunately, we cannot practice excellent medicine and participate with any insurance plan. Most plans allow 50 to 100 % of our charges and our fees are no more than car repairs. Primary care doctors must choose between good medical care and insurance participation - you cannot have both. We do try to be sure to give excellent service so patients know they are getting a lot for the additional money they are spending. We are one of the few integrative primary care practices in the country combining the best of both traditional and complementary therapies. It takes time to do a complete exam and think about each patient as an individual. Our patients may leave but they come back when they see what they get going in network. I would be happy to participate in insurance (as I did 20 years ago) if they paid enough to take good care of patients. There is a reason medical students are not going into primary care - you can not make a living if you participate with insurance. You cannot afford to have a doctor miss a serious condition because they are rushing. Dr. Steinmetz