Colorectal Surgeon (colon & rectum), Surgical Specialist

Mar 22nd, 2015

THis doctor was quick to want to operate on me with minimal explanation as to why. I waited almost 2 hours to see him and he spent about 5 minutes with me. He didn't even examine the problem area. He told me he knew what was wrong and that he could fix it. When I tried to get him to explain it, the things coming out of his mouth sounded like complete BS or maybe over my head? I gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking that he must be the expert and decided to trust him. BIG MISTAKE. To make a long story short and eliminate unnecessary details, I have the same problem that I came in with (maybe worse), a huge bill, and no good explanations from this guy. This guy is a QUACK and should not be allowed to treat people. Do yourself a favor and see someone else!!!!!!!!!

Jul 31st, 2014

Dr Alcantara is the best! I love his bed side manners. He takes his time with you n gives you treatment options and includes you in the conversation. When I was in he hospital for my surgery he even gave me a few more days to stay when I requested it. Both my mom and myself see him. He helped my mom avoid surgery when an another dr wanted to open her up side to side! I would and do refer him to anybody who needs this type of dr!

Outstanding bedside and clinical skills show details Outstanding bedside and clinical skills
Aug 17th, 2012

I first met Dr. Alcantara when he was referred to me by my primary doctor for surgery consult. He explained everything to me even drawing diagram of the gi system and what he was going to do . He immediately instilled confidence in me with what I was facing before, during and after surgery. As a member of the health care and medical community he is among the top docs who really have a passion for what they do and for their patients care.

Jul 26th, 2012

I was referred to Dr. Alcantara by my Internist after having 4 bouts of diverticulitis. He is an amazing doctor. Not only does he understand his specialty and has the ability to diagnose the patient, he has a wonderful bedside manner and great sense of humor. While in the hospital, he spent as much time as I needed. He never rushed off to go see another patient but answered questions and reassured me that things would get better. Now I am all cured and couldn't be better!

Jan 16th, 2012

I was referred to Dr. Alcantara by another physician. I was extremely nervous about needing to see a colorectal surgeon and had nightmares about my surgery being put on the YouTube. But from the moment he first introduced himself to me I knew that my fears were unfounded. His sense of humor is amazing (I could hear his robust laugh from the waiting room) - and it helped so much to break the ice of the embarrassing situation of having a sleuth of tests and then surgery on the very parts of my body I myself have never seen.Overall I have had 3 surgeries performed by Dr. Alcantara, all within a few weeks of one another. What I really respect about him (other of course from his surgical expertise) is that he actually listens to me and even allowed me to take part in my own medical decision-making for diagnostic imaging and also treatment. It is so welcoming to me that a doctor is so confident that he will let the patient help in the decision process in her own care. I really love this about him.I know I still have some time on the road to recovery and some follow-up therapy; I am so pleased that I will be able to see (and hear his laugh!) him again.

by Isa on Dec 20th, 2009

I first met Dr. Alcantara at Santa Rosa when I was admitted on an emergency basis for an infection stemming from my diverticulitis. I felt comfortable and at ease the moment we met. It seems like we're old friends. I actually look forward to my follow up visits.Not to mention he's a great surgeon (had to have reconstruction of the colon due to my diverticulitis). On the recovery path.

Jacque From Corpus Christi show details Jacque From Corpus Christi
by Jacque Woods on Sep 25th, 2009

Dr. Alcantara was assigned to me by the hospital. He was professional and curtious. He treated my condition until he could get me stable enough to go back to my home in Corpus Christi. Thank you for being there for me .

A DOCTOR WHO REALLY CARES show details A DOCTOR WHO REALLY CARES
by 38 YR FEMALE on Feb 7th, 2009

MY FAMILY DOCTOR WAS UNABLE TO DIAGNOIS MY EXCRUSIATING RECTAL PAIN. I HAD ALMOST GIVEN UP HOPE UNTIL MY DOCTOR REFERRED ME TO DR. MARIO ALCANTARA. WHEN I CALLED HIS OFFICE AND EXPLAINED MY SITUATION, THEY INFORMED ME THAT DR. ALCANTARA WAS OPERATING ALL DAY BUT WOULD CONTACT ME. DR. ALCANTARA DID NOT ONLY CALL ME PERSONALLY, BUT MADE TIME THAT SAME DAY TO EVALUATE MY CONDITION. THAT IS A DOCTOR WHO REALY CARES..