Dr. Mario Nanes MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

July 28th, 2016
Best doctor
OVERALL , Dr. Nanes is one of the best surgeon in the United States. I had a surgery performed in 2006 . ALL 5 STARS for such a professional surgeon .

September 27th, 2015
Worst surgeon clueless
No compassion and inappropriate behavior for a doctor. Impossible to communicate with, the man is such a moron that he does not communicate well and acts very aggressive. Reading my record of how this man had hacked my head open the notes are written as if copied from Neurosurgery for Dummies. I am surprised he is still practicing. Maybe he should give himself a labotomy

October 25th, 2013
Get a second or third opinion
Granted it has been about 10 years since I was operated on by Mario Nanes, but have had plenty of time to think about my situation after visiting many other Drs.. I had several herniated discs in the L4 L5 region along with other herniated discs in my neck and mid back, Dr. Nanes chose only to concentrate on my lower back problems and a surgery was scheduled. I was operated on at 6 a.m. and he wanted to make me stand and walk after only about 14 hrs. I did and walked with great pain which he dismissed as normal, I am not a wimp, was a commercial longline fisherman and captain for almost 20 years who endured many injuries including the one for which I was operated on .The pain continued for my hospital stay and when I was discharged,. The follow up visits were painful as the drive to Mt. Sinai was about 30 miles which in south Florida can take a while. I had to be driven as I was not able to sit up and the walk from the car to his office was excruciating once we got to his office. After several visits and no improvements he only offered me more pain meds, and actually said I was faking it, I was outraged and told him to watch the video cameras in the office building lobby and see how many times I had to stop and sit down as I couldn't walk more than a few hundred feet at a time and had to use wheelchair, His response was to see another surgeon and have an even more invasive surgery , so much for confidence in him.After him prescribing and changing my meds regularly with no improvement I sought the opinion of other Drs.. I was referred to Dr Waden Emery who correctly diagnosed my problem and told me I should have never been operated on in that region as I had other back problems which Nanes didn't seem to notice on the MRI.To this day I am still in intense pain and have no relief in sight, having to rely on corticosteroid injections about every 3 months and meds to control my pain. After a couple years when I became totally disabled, Dr. Nanes wrote me a letter expressing his disappointment in my outcome and saying he wished I gave him more of a chance to correct my situation.Writing this makes me feel a lot better.

April 2nd, 2012
Poor Office Communication
I cannot comment on the doctor himself, but the staff is very disorganized. They changed my appointment three times and then when I got there I had to wait another 90 minutues plus. Did not get to see the doctor.

July 26th, 2010
Dr. Nanes gives doctors are goog name
My mom was airlifted into the hospital with a subarachnoid headache. She spent a week with atrocious headaches in an unfamiliar city. Dr. Nanes not only cared for my mother with expertise and control, he educated me by taking time to answer my questions about her condition. He thoroughly explained the CAT scans by pulling them up on his computer in the ICU to be sure I fully understood the recovery process. Dr. Nanes stopped in to see my mom daily (weekend included). Once we returned home Dr. Nanes returned her call on a Sunday morning without hesitation. On behalf of my mother and the rest of my family, I'd like to sincerely thank Dr. Nanes for his direct yet empathetic bedside manner and extreme professionalism.

March 23rd, 2010
Wonderful
Dr. Nanes made a bad situation more comfortable for the family. My father had surgery and Dr. Nanes made us feel better knowing that he was not just competent, but in times of severe anxiety by the patient and family/ friends, he let you know in very clear terms what was required to gain understanding and insight into the situation. A wonderful surgeon and human who looks after his patients first.