Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Horrible experience show details Horrible experience
Nov 12th, 2014

I saw Dr. Desmond because of herniated discs in my cervical spine. I also have Fibromyalgia. The waiting room was horrendous. Worst waiting room experience of my life and I've sat in a lot of them--it was so full and loud that the receptionists had to scream at people when talking to them. I got my foot run over three times by people in wheelchairs/walkers. My overall wait time was an hour and a half past my appointment time (until I saw the Dr.) The nurse did not check any of my vitals or ask me any questions, although she was polite. Dr. Desmond came in and was very cocky, talked over me, didn't listen to me and just talked in monotone as if he was giving the same speech, word-for-word for the thousandth time. He told me I needed an EMG and I told him I'd heard horror stories about how painful it is. He told me it was up to me and quickly walked out of the room. He left so suddenly and abruptly, I thought he was coming back. The nurse then walked in with an order for the EMG. I still had questions!!! I couldn't ask them because he kept interrupting me and then walked out of the room so fast I couldn't even say "Wait!!" I had the EMG done a few weeks later and believe it or not, that was an even worse experience. I made the appointment first thing in the morning, at 9am and was told I was the first patient. I arrived at 8:58am, signed in and sat down to wait. I waited. And waited. And waited. Frustrated and feeling more anxious by the minute, at 9:40 I asked the receptionist what was taking so long. She said there was another person in front of me that would be done soon. I told her that she told me when I scheduled I would be the first patient. She said they double book all his appointments because "people cancel." WHAT?!!! That's absolutely ridiculous! I sat back down, steaming mad at this point. By the time they called me back to the doctor, I was not only anxious about my test (that I had to sit and think about for almost an hour past my appt. time) but also furious that they double booked it and didn't tell me ahead of time. Dr. Barry Schnall conducted the EMG test and when I went into the room, he was not yet done typing his report from the patient that was double booked with me. After a few minutes of standing there waiting, he finally talked to me and started to tell me about the test. I explained that I was very anxious and that I wanted to start with my neck (I had to have my neck and hip checked) and that if it hurt too badly, I wasn't going to have my hip tested. He immediately changed his tune, copped a bad attitude and told me I was wasting his time. I had to bite my tongue. The nerve of him! I tried to calmly explain how anxious I was, again, but he was too focused on me "wasting his time" that he wouldn't calmly listen to me for two minutes. He finally sat me on the table and said, "ok, we'll just start with your neck and go from there." Um...why couldn't he have just said that from the beginning instead of copping an attitude? He sat at his computer and started asking me background questions. I was so upset I started to cry. He didn't notice. He also didn't remember most of my answers. He told me I would need to change into a gown because of needing access to my lower legs. I lifted my jeans up and asked if that was ok and he said yes and that I could just pull up my jeans. Not even one minute later, he's giving me a gown to put on. He forgot what he told me one minute earlier! The entire test was like this. The test itself was a little painful, but I got through it. The way I was treated by waiting and the the initial attitude of the doctor was the worst part. My test ended up showing no nerve damage and he suggested I see a neurologist and get additional MRI's. He also said that even though the test showed no damage, it doesn't mean that a nerve isn't being pressed on and causing the pain down my arm and into my fingers. So I go to my follow-up with Dr. Desmond. The wait time this time was only about 10 minutes(!!!). He came in, told me I had no nerve damage and I asked him why I had pain shooting down my arms and into my fingers. He said, and I quote, "I have no answer for you. There is no solution. I can't help you." He told me he would not suggest I see a neurologist because I have "no nerve damage." He also would not suggest an MRI. Did he read the report from Dr. Schnall? I mean, past the point where it says "normal" and to the part where it says, "consider neurology evaluation and MRI studies?" The two doctors completely disagreed with each other. Dr. Desmond has a very cocky and condescending attitude and I would never suggest him to anyone. My experience at Aria 3b on Grant Ave. was absolutely horrible. They do not care about the patient, only about fitting in as many as they can to pad their huge wallets. I will not go back.

excellent show details excellent
by kathy montgomery on Aug 2nd, 2013

Dr. Desmond did my knee and hand ! I don't think I could of picked a better Dr. Have recommended him to a few and they were just as pleased.

my knee show details my knee
Oct 15th, 2009

i went today to see this doctor and he really upset me.. he gave me the a crotison shot which is hurtin so bad till this moment.. and did not care about what i had to say to him. he did not pay any attetion to what i had to say or to what my x ray and mri said.. now in his opinon i have to be in pain another 6 weeks and it is not rite, he told me the tumor in my femural shaft had to of been there my whole life which is not true.. i am goin to get another opinion..

Sep 14th, 2009

Dr Desmond did my Mother in law's knee replacement in Jan 09. We had nothing but good review of him and his team.

DONT GO TO SEE DR. MARK DESMOND HE S THE WORST show details DONT GO TO SEE DR. MARK DESMOND HE S THE WORST
by DAWN on Feb 3rd, 2009

WORST DR. EXPERIECNE IN MT LIFE VERY POOR BED SIDE MANNER AND DOEST REALLY CARE WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS.