Dr. Mark Fishbein MD Patient Reviews

• Pediatric Gastroenterology Chicago, IL

2.5

April 13th, 2016
I recently took my child to see Dr. Fishbein and had a bad experience. Dr. Fishbein lacks one of the most important qualities of a good doctor and that is listening to his patients. He also lacks clear communication skills with regard to explaining his medical opinion. He also had bad bedside manner and was in a hurry. I am shocked that he is on staff at Lurie Children's Hospital.

October 22nd, 2015
I am sorry but this man is awful. terrible bedside manner. Walked out with ad little information when we walked in. He gave very Little effort on his part to give a proper diagnosis. I would highly recommend you NOT take your child to see him. Highly unsatisfied.

July 6th, 2015
The appointment was a $2000 waste of time. He is a jerk and didn't help us at all.

April 7th, 2015
My daughter has been seen by Dr. Fishbein for four years now. He and his team have been instrumental in helping us coordinate the appropriate services for our daughter to attain independence from her feeding tube, which she has had since infancy. He has always been very professional with us and has cared for our daughter with the best of his ability during difficult medical circumstances.

December 30th, 2014
I was told that this doctor was the best. Wrong - the worst. After waiting 2 1/2 hours for an emergency that came up he spent all of 7 minutes with my son (who had mouth ulcers). He stated that this had nothing to do with him and suggested that I take pictures and send to docs first as to not waste their time and mine. He then proceeded to charge me several hundred dollars for the appointment. I suggested that he take what my insurance paid him and disregard my portion otherwise I would dispute the charges. He proceeded to send the bill to collections. A year and a half later, countless trips to many other types of doctors (because the "GI" portion had been visited), and THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars later my son was told he had Crohn's - something that would have been discovered if this man would have done some test!!!! It had everything to do with "his area of expertise", he just didn't take the time to figure it out.

May 14th, 2013
Not worth it.
If your child's GI issues are simple and textbook he is a great doctor. My daughter has severe issues that ue has no idea how to deal with. I dislike that it is very hard to get a hold of the staff, let alone they don't give you a direct phone number or office hours. Because he has no idea what is going on he made up yis mind that my daughter's problems were psychological and has referred us to another GI. This will be our 4th GI/motility specialist we will be seeing. Fishbein rushes appointments, discredits your concerns and even tried to leave the appointment while we were talking to him. Very rude, and not worth tye aggravation.

March 19th, 2013
Very Pleased With Dr. Fishbein
We switched to Dr. Fishbein from another Pediatric GI doctor because of our insurance. My thirteen old daughter and I felt that Dr. Fishbein handled the appointment in a very friendly and professional manner. I felt that Dr. Fishbein was a highly intelligent doctor with a lot of experience and that he definitely knew what he was doing. He asked specific questions, listened to all the information my daughter and I wanted to provide to him and very thoroughly reviewed the records from our recent ER visit. He gave us an initial diagnosis, and a plan of action and let us know when to follow up and in which circumstances we should follow up more quickly. He answered all my questions and I appreciated that he was concise and informative. While his communication style may be brief and to the point, I would much rather deal with that style, than a doc who will pat me on the head, tell me everything is fine and send me on my way. When we left I had confidence that I knew what was going on with my daughter, what we were supposed to do, and that we had a short term and mid range plan. GI issues can be tricky, it took us a year and half to figure out what was going on with my youngest daughter, with the other Ped GI doctor. My oldest daughter and I feel comfortable going through the process with Dr. Fishbein and I would highly recommend him.

September 7th, 2012
RN
I thought his bedside manner was terrible at first.He warmed up to me,but he ignored my 3 year old son.Perhaps he is educated in his field,but his curt manner made me want to leave the office.

July 16th, 2012
My daughter had been having issues for several months, and we had to wait 3 weeks to get in with Dr. Fishbein, and that was the last I heard from him. After blood work, and a colonascopy, and 6 different prescriptions I was done. I never heard from him again. All I could go was get a hold of his nurse. I would have to call, wait for her to call me back, explain the problem, wait for her to call him then to call me back. Very displeased. Went to another specialist, and it's been less than a week and I've seen so much improvement in my daughter. Should have switched a long time ago. Two months wasted with this doctor.

January 17th, 2012
Does not listen/Very negative/Arrogant
Regret taking my child to him as he did not listen to us and wanted to fit us into a one-size-fits-all diagnosis. Any information to the contrary he did not want to hear. Did not want to let me speak...did not want to hear from my child. Very rushed. Spent about 10 minutes with us...came into room with mind made up. Very poor bedside manner...definitely a very bad experience. Came away with nothing but a huge bill....shocked Children's Memorial has him with children.

July 6th, 2011
Waste of Time
Hospital (Central DuPage) was well organized. Helpful staff got me to the well-hidden GI department.Before they would make the appointment they (Children's GI department) asked for all my son's records but later said they were not necessary. They do have online registration which saved a lot of time at the hospital.The visit with Dr. Fishbein was very disappointing. Similar comments to several others posted here: Did not spend much time. Didn't seem to be interested in hearing why you were there. He is one of those doctors that asks you questions but doesn't want to answer yours. He seemed rushed. There was little to no wait but I was about 10 minutes late.Overall I would definitely NOT recommend him. I wish I had found these reviews before I made my appointment.

November 22nd, 2010
After our visit, we came away with no information to help our child, but we did come away with a hefty bill.