Dr. Mark Flanum MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

July 1st, 2014
Awesome Dr
After years of living with daily back pain and getting nowhere with my family practitioners I was fortunate enough to see Dr. Flanum. The wait time was only several minutes, the staff were all courteous and friendly and treated me very well through a number of xrays and scans. Dr. Flanum found the cause of my pain within minutes and discussed my options. Dr. Flanum spent enough time with me to answer all my questions and ultimately will be performing surgery on my back in the mext few weeks. I recommend this Dr and facility to anyone suffering with spinal injuries/pain.

June 10th, 2014
I was referred to Dr. Flanum regarding my BFA Disorder (Body Falling Apart!). After evaluating my diminished mobility issues and options, he administered a successful spinal epidural two months ago that has me functioning again. We now know where the problem is if surgery is ultimately required. I'll be very comfortable asking this surgeon to do the job.

March 15th, 2014
Excellent doctor!
Unlike other posts on here I'm not sure about the second negative one but the first not revealing her name only sane Jane Doe, I find Dr. Mark Flanum to be an excellent doctor, surgeon and person. I have been to just about every back specialist in Anchorage all to no avail. I had amazing experience with OPA as I had both hips replaced by Dr. Timothy Kavanaugh. I asked him for a recommendation and he recommended Dr. Flanum. I made an appointment and took my massive amounts of MRIs and x-rays and made an appointment my appointment time was at 2:30 by 2:40 I was in his office. His medical assistant Nicole was very friendly asked me all the pertinent questions and within minutes the doctor himself was in the examination room. He looked at the images that I gave him he ordered a couple x-rays which were taken immediately and we discussed several options he was not one to jump into surgery and therefore I received an injection which did not work. It only gave me about a month of relief. I made another appointment and again no wait and welcomed by a friendly staff and the option of surgery was disgusted me and with the images on the screen in detail he went over exactly what he was going to do. I felt very confident and decided to proceed with surgery. The day of the surgery he came into the waiting area and discussed everything that was going to be done with me again and was there in the recovery room when I woke up several hours later. I was equestrian for many years and that entails many years of falling off of horses when you ride jumpers that's part of the plan. I started having problems again and he immediately made an appointment this time with his PA, Michael. Again I had no waiting time I had met Michael before after my surgery and he discussed what he thought was going on. Dr. Flanum was there and apparently Michael had seen something that he wanted to speak with Dr. Flanum about. The two of them came back and pointed out that I had a synovial cyst that the facet joint was pressing on and it was interned pressing on the nerve which was causing my pain this doctor not one to jump as surgery is the only recourse or remedy suggested a procedure which I'm about to have done where they're going to attempt to pop the synovial cyst to see if that will relieve the pressure and the pain. He describes the procedure in detail and I feel so comfortable with this man. I highly recommend this doctor as he is a hands on doctor and for me has been very open with my treatment and all procedures I've had. FIVE STARS DR. FLANUM!!!

March 18th, 2011
Excellent Orthopedics
Dr. Flanam is a great physician and his experience and skillfulness save lives.

November 10th, 2010
Worst Doctor Visit I've Ever Had
Dr. Flanum was incredibly unprofessional. Going to see him wasted 3 hours out of my work day for him to tell me that he couldn't find anything wrong.I waited for 2 hours to see him. It's a good thing I brought a book. He asked me a few questions, quickly looked at my x-rays and walked out of the room. I could hear him telling jokes to a coworker in the hall after he said goodbye when he left me sitting (on crutches) in the exam room. He didn't tell me that I was done, that I could leave, OR how to get out of the office. I had to walk out and ask him if I was free to go... and wandered through the halls till I found the check-out desk.I will NEVER return to OPA. They may look good on the outside, but the entire operation seems like a complete joke (which is also their reputation in the medical community around Anchorage).

August 19th, 2010
Kind and professional.

July 11th, 2010
Excellent Diagnosis
Dr. Flanum diagnosed my spinal problem, and immediately got me in to have the correct surgery. I am now pain free and limber again!