Neurological Surgeons
Video profile
722 Newman Rd
New Bern, NC 28562
252-638-4500
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Appointments!!!!  |  show details
Feb 28th, 2013

Tricare approved my referral on February 1st and it is not March 1st and I have yet to get a call as to when I can get an appointment. I keep calling my doc's and finally they gave me the number and I call and the lasy that spoke to me was very rude, and told me that they have my refferal but CANNOT and WILL NOT schedule an appointment until the Doctor calls them. So apparently she called the Doc's office and told them that they needed to call and make my appointment. This was now 4 days ago and I still have yet to hear from anyone. I am seriously about to give up on ever being able to play with my children like I should be able to. I completely understand that Dr's are very busy and have lots of patients but if there is no effort on their part how could anyone ever get an appointment. I have an appointment with my regular doc tomorrow and I will once again question as to why I still haven't heard anything!!!! After reading these reviews I am definitely having mixed feelings about this doctor. Also I put an overall rating of the doctor because I DON'T KNOW YET!!!!!!!!

Jun 1st, 2012

Superb physician. Did a laminectomy on me, I was out of the hospital same day and back to working 12 hour days in a week. Didn't take ANY pain medication post op.Highly recommend this guy

|  awesome dr and staff:)  |  show details
Dec 1st, 2011

i found Dr Held a very smart and compassionate man! he was very straight forward and to the point, he knew exactly what was wrong and knew exactly how to fix it! i am very pleased with his work:) and since i find myself a little out spoken at times and to the point! as for the negative comments below, are you sure we were at the same office? I found him exceptionally compassionate and knowing exactly what he was doing! and i have NEVER been treated rudely by the staff at his office and have never heard them talking about other patients, and may i take the time not only to the staff but to his nurse Amy whom took time out of her personal time to assure me i was going to be okay, as she took the time to listen to me cry and shout out my fears!! so i again must ask to all of you who posted negative comments, ARE YOU SURE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME DR AND STAFF? i would like to thank DR.Held and his staff for being so understanding and for making this world a better place for being who you are!! Sincerely, Gail Bateman:)!

Aug 18th, 2011

Very nice office, however staff was abrupt, the doctor himself was very direct. Did not make you feel very comfortable about what is about to happen to you. Did not explain what was going to happen to you, had me terrified during and prior to procedure.

Dec 13th, 2010

He rebuilt most of my spine and did a fabulous job. I could not have had better care or a better outcome. was nearly crippled prior to surgery and now am totally recovered. one word of caution: if you are not ready to 'honor' your recovery, it won't matter how good your surgeon is. you MUST behave after spine surgery and take the full 18 months to recover but you WILL get your life back.

|  RUDE STAFF  |  show details
Sep 21st, 2010

The staff at this office is very rude and they treat you like crap. They talk amongst each other about other patients medical issues loud enough for me to hear them while I was sitting down in the lobby they make you sign a privacy act statement however they have no secrets about your medical history with anyone who may be in the office. When I walked in I was rudely interrupted with a hand to the face and told to stand there till she was ready to talk to me. I would not refer this doctors office to anyone and to honest I wouldn't let them do surgery on my dog.

|  New Lease On Life  |  show details
by Bob Wilson on Apr 7th, 2010

Dr Held gave my daughter a new lease on life with his vast knowledge and ability. My daughter was unable to walk when he took her under his care. After an operation, she is now virtually pain free and is her old self once again. Dr Held is truly a miracle worker in his ability to help people. He is genuinely caring, thorough and totally open in communicating to his patients. This man deserves the highest accolades for what he does in giving people a new reason to enjoy life.

Oct 27th, 2009

Very accurate on diagnosis. He won't perform surgery if not needed. After my lumbar fusion he did not follow up with me cause he went on vacation directly after performing my surgery. So, my follow-up in the hospital was with a complete stranger. I did everything he asked of me before and after surgery but my fusion did not take place, I think my body did not accept the artificial bone that he placed. I would have liked to have had my own bone placed as he told me he was going to do and maybe the fusion would have happened. Nurses in his office were so rude I stopped going there - I guess after a year and "No Fusion" there was no need anymore.

|  Very Good but Very Busy  |  show details
by L5/S1 Discectomy/Laminectomy on Aug 28th, 2009

I waited 2 months to see Dr. Held, with 2 appt. reschedules, on advice that he was worth the wait. He was very abrupt but very honest about what he could and couldn't do for me. I was in pain for 9 months and tried all the conservative solutions. 6 weeks now after surgery and I am feeling wonderful. Sadly, Doctors who are good at what they do are in high demand and can only see so many patients.

|  NEEDS MORE COMPASSION FOR PEOPLE  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2009

Flighty, keeps cancelling appointments and rescheduling. No compassion for patients.

|  Thank god for Dr. Held  |  show details
by Jennifer Marshall on Mar 25th, 2009

He did my disc surgery in 1996,I can walk,dance and play with my kids again thanks to him. Absolutely Brilliant!!!

|  He Helped Save my Life August of 2000  |  show details
by Theresa Marie Brage on Jul 14th, 2008

Dr. Mark Held and Associate Dr. Darryple(and the caring team at New Bern Regional),short of God Almighty using his own hand's. They Saved my life after being diagnosed with a pulled muscle in my neck and being sent home with a neck brace, by another physcian... Returned again to a hospital after days of violent pain, nausea, vomitting, etc etc etc... To be diagnosed with a ruptured inter-cerebral aneurysm in my brain!!I am alive and doing all I can to be a normal, productive human. I am diffently not the same person I use to be, each day seem's tough yet I owe them and my family so much more than I can ever repay. Most of all I owe everything to God, for allowing to wake from that horrible dream with both eye's opened. Thank You Dr. Held/Dr. Darryple, and to all of you who took such good care of me. Theresa M. Brage