Internist, Oncology Specialist (cancer)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Yahoo.
 |  The best there ever was  |  show details
May 9th, 2013

This guy is an old school doc. He treated me & my wife like family and we are forever grateful for that. He talked to us like people, which is the first time any doctor has ever done that for me. We are simple folks, and going through this process was incredibly difficult. Dr. K was a champion and really helped us through our hard times. The front desk wasn't the best, but that's not what I needed. I needed the best doc for me and my wife and we found him in Dr. Mark Kimmel

Oct 19th, 2012

I'm proactive with reading my record and he didn't address some of the questionable results. Didn't know if he didn't see it or wanted to wait and see how bad it got. Either way, I expected him to talk to me. Staff forgets to schedule appointments. Find a different doctor.

|  Good Doctor, Poor Staff  |  show details
Jul 5th, 2012

Dr. Kimmel is a good doctor, and has always gone above and beyond to take care of my mother. The front desk and staff are sometime rude, however I look past this as the quality of care is what is most important to my family. I want to thank Dr. Kimmel for everything he has done for us over the past 10 years.

May 17th, 2012

Dr. Kimmel has a gentle bedside manner & appears to be caring when face-to-face. However, when I contacted his office 3 different occasions over 4 months (1 of which was due to severe adverse effects of the medicine he prescribed) - he had receptionists relay incomplete messages. When receptionists were asked for additional information, they were "clueless".The practice is run like a "cookie cutter factory," which is extremely disconcerting based on the nature of the illnesses patients are coping with.On my initial consultation, I thought Dr. Kimmel was excellent. He made a great presentation of charts, statistics, and "standard of care", but after that initial visit, he treats you "like a number". It's almost as if he needs to make a good initial impression to give the patient a "sales pitch" - once he has "cut the deal" - he's gone. Truly disappointed in his lack of communication, compassion, & providing patient specific care. Loved him initially & he's a nice enough guy, but quality patient care and follow-up should not be expected.Also, most of the office staff seems clueless or miserable. I understand it's a tough business to be in, but people should be "happier" when dealing with people that are sick.

Nov 15th, 2011

Dr. Kimmel and his staff are curt and lack the empathy needed in this profession. I am very disappointed in the "factory-like" atmosphere. What happened to the caring component? This practice has gotten too big and clearly is run like a BUSINESS!

|  Excellent MD and staff  |  show details
Jun 24th, 2011

Dr. Kimmel and has staff have been nothing but great to my family.

|  Excellent doctor, Marvelous human being.  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2011

Doctor Kimmel saw me through my original cancer, and diagnosed and is treating the unfortunate metastasis 5 years later. He is the best. Because he is the best, he is very busy with many patients and lots of calls from other doctors, but during my appointment, it is as if I am the only patient on earth. He listens, thinks about things, tweaks treatments to alleviate side effects, explains what is happening and what to expect, and is even cheerful about being a team player with an expert at Dana Farber that I go to every few months. His staff is very professional, as well as kind and caring. I would not trust just anyone to pump these toxins into my veins -- they take the proper care with every detail. The only problems are with occasional waits for callbacks or in the infusion room, because there are just so many patients. But until they find a cure, patients are going to flock to him because he is the best.

|  Good Luck  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2011

Go else where. He and his staff due not care about you or your family. He and his staff are rude and his bed side manner is even more less compensate. M His staff monitors all of these ratings so they can give a good one after a poor rating is given. Long and short they just soak you for your money.

by Thank You on Jun 17th, 2010

I wanted to thank Dr. Kimmel and his staff for treating my family and I well. 4 Years cancer free now!!

|  As good as they get  |  show details
by Dave on Oct 19th, 2009

Cancer is increasingly manageable as a chronic disease but many people still die of it. Surviving family and friends may be angry and take it out in negative reviews of the attending physician. I noticed that two very negative and I thought misleading reviews were both posted on April 14, 2009; I don't think that's a coincidence. For my part, I've been with Dr. Kimmel for almost two years and against some very long odds I'm still here. I've always found Dr. Kimmel to have taken all the time with me that I needed and his staff to be friendly, compassionate and attentive. He is pretty busy because he's in demand, but that's the kind of doctor I want.

|  Much to be desired  |  show details
by Poor experience in Middletown on Apr 14th, 2009

I was very disappointed by Dr. Kimmel and his staff. My brother was a patient of Dr. Kimmel's before he passed away, and my brother and our family were treated pretty badly. I don't know if the care was as good as it should have been - my brother suffered some radiation burns that went untreated, until they became massively infected, and ultimately led to his death. But more importantly, Dr. Kimmel and his staff were simply rude and uncaring. Dr. Kimmel never answered messages that we left for him, but rather had his staff call us back, and the staff never knew the answers to our questions. Eventually we just gave up. In hindsight, we should have sought treatment for my brother elsewhere, but at the time we assumed it was best for him to be treated locally. I hope other families can learn from our dismal experience - all cancer patients and their families deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, and you will not get that from Dr. Kimmel.

by CancerinCT on Apr 14th, 2009 on yahoo.com

I have never encountered a less compassionate environment for care. Dr. Kimmel and the staff have been rude and impersonal, and truly don't seem to care whether a patient lives or dies. I have been stunned by what I have encountered in their office, and would strongly advise people to go elsewhere for care.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com
Mar 20th, 2006 on yahoo.com

Wonderful doctors and staff!!: Dr. Kimmel is my oncologist. I feel very blessed to have him watching over me. The other doctors, nurses and administrative staff are competent, as well as simply nice, compassionate people. Hopefully, I'll continue to see t

Read Full Review at yahoo.com