Dr. Mark Rackish MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery Williamsport, PA

• Good
  • Bad

August 15th, 2017
He was great, his PA-C, on the other hand...
I want to start this review off by saying that the injured person involved is a recovered addict. Like many recovered addicts, this person will tell you that they wish they hadn’t made the choice they made. They worked hard to overcome that addiction and they are faced by temptations everywhere, but the true test is their ability to resist those temptations. We were seen by Crystal Waite both in the hospital after the surgery and during post-op appointments afterward. She has the most off-putting bedside manner of any medical professional I’ve ever encountered. I won’t say the injured person wasn’t given any opiate based pain medication, because they were. In the emergency room and during the surgery opiates were given. Otherwise it was a regimen of ice packs and Tylenol. Often, the injured person used the call button to ask for something to help with pain. The injured person never asked for a specific medication. They were happy to take whatever was brought to them, knowing full well it would be more Tylenol. Upon leaving the hospital, the injured person was even offered a prescription of an opiate based pain medication that the injured person politely declined to take. The injured person displayed absolutely no drug seeking behaviors further than seeking Tylenol and refused an opiate when offered it. Even with the injured person behaving in a way that demonstrates they are being as true to their recovery as possible, Crystal Waite made sure to humiliate and shame them. She, unfortunately, answered one of the “calls” for more Tylenol. She then proceeded to stand there and lecture us for around 15 minutes on how it was the injured person’s fault that they ruined their life and their body’s ability to produce dopamine. She said that we had better not even think of asking for pain medication, other than Tylenol for the rest of the time in the hospital and that she better not hear about us calling afterward to ask for any prescriptions either. Those are just the highlights of her tirade. I don’t know what part of her medical training made her think that she was superior to other people. Also, as a “medical professional” (I hesitate to use the word professional with the personality I’ve seen from her) she should understand that addiction – although, yes… does begin with a bad decision- is a medical condition that affects thousands and thousands of people. She should be able to see the difference between a full blown addict demonstrating drug seeking behavior and a recovered addict who is genuinely in pain. She shouldn’t be prejudiced against any patient, regardless of whether or not they’re an addict, a recovered addict, or someone who has never touched a drug in their life. She certainly has no right to dictate whether or not someone has ruined their life. She was considerably more kind upon the follow up appointment but we’ve not yet determined whether or not this is because she realized that another physician did write a prescription and it wasn’t used or because the injured person had mentioned to a staff member that she was extremely rude during their last encounter. Even if the staff member alerted her to our concerns, we were also told by someone (I won’t say whether or not it was a hospital employee or an employee at the clinic) that we were not the first patients to voice our displeasure with her attitude and that we should complain about it. I can’t imagine being truly hurt… severely in pain, in a hospital, away from my children, unable to get out and enjoy my life and have to be greeted by that type of “care and compassion”. I’m willing to bet that had the injured person been a fellow doctor, she’d been a good deal more respectful when consulting with them. When you do a search for Crystal Waite on the internet, you’ll find pages that indicate she’s an experienced professional that graduated with honors. That’s wonderful, I’m happy for another intelligent, well trained person out there looking out for the well being of others. Something should come with that, though. There should be some sense of empathy toward people who may not have had the blessings in life that she has had. I’m not even the injured person (simply a loved one who happened to be there at the time), in fact- I’m a fellow college graduate with honors… yet, during her visit to the room, the things she said made us feel like we were nothing more than “low life junkies” there to score drugs. The reality is that the injured person is a beloved parent, child, significant other, and HUMAN BEING who happened to make a bad choice one time and has done nothing but work hard and dedicate themselves to sobriety and a better life. Picture what kind of person you want to wake up to next time you’re in the hospital. Picture what sort of consultation you want to hear from the medical professional you trust to make you feel better.

March 9th, 2017
I have had two surgeries and a broken shoulder that Dr Rackish has taken care of for me. I trust his judgment an d think he has a good bed side manner.

April 14th, 2016
Would not recommend this doctor for any surgery.
Performance of surgery was not good 6 months after surgery, now wearing hand brace. Doctor refused to see me, after I called to say I can not move fingers. Very unprofessional for a doctor not to see patient who is complaining about surgery that he performed.

June 21st, 2017