Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

• Currently 3.8620689655172 of 4 stars
 |  Mr  |  show details
by Eduardo Luxardo on Oct 7th, 2014

I suffered excruciating sciatica pain down through my left leg in and out for 2 years with alternate treatment (cortisone shots), I also tried physical therapy to stop the pain but nothing worked and some therapies made the pain worse. In 2013, I decided to be seen by Dr. Shaya, and diagnosed me as having a lower veretebras compressing the spine nerve, He operated on those lower vertebras and totally eliminated my pain. Not only did he stop the sciatica, but the elimination of that pain relaxed a series of connected muscles of my back, and shoulders. Now, I really feel very, very good right now, and, I can work and concentrate without pain in my work. thank yoy Dr Shaya!

|  Top Notch Surgeon  |  show details
by TC on Sep 19th, 2014

I was very satisfied with my experience with Dr. Shaya. I had herniated discs, spinal stenosis, compressed nerves and a sacral cyst. I was having back pain, along with bilateral burning nerve pain in the groin and thigh area to the point I was beginning to have no quality of life. I went to other doctors prior to meeting Dr. Shaya, and only Dr. Shaya was able to immediately pinpoint my problem with compressed nerves, etc. He was confident in his recommendation to me for surgery if I wanted any chance to get better. I had a bilateral laminectomy L3, L4, L5, S1 and foraminotomies where the nerves were decompressed. The tarlov cyst at S2 was shrunk down. (Dr Shaya is one of a few doctors in the country who is skilled in treating these kind of cysts). I have heard the horror stories out there with those who have had failed back surgery by other doctors, but Dr. Shaya was reassuring with his expertise. I was also impressed with Dr Shaya's no-nonsense approach and his accessibility and quick response to questions. He understands when patients are in pain and I was able to have my surgery promptly scheduled. Dr. Shaya was receptive and accommodating when it came to my medical needs and recovery in the hospital. I had my surgery about 6 months ago without any complications, and by my 3rd month I was starting to feel much better with significant improvement to the point where I felt I got my life back! For this, I am very grateful, and would highly recommend Dr. Shaya as a brilliant, thorough and compassionate surgeon. Thank you, Dr. Shaya!

|  Very good outcome,  |  show details
by Jason R. Fort lauderale on Aug 23rd, 2014

Very happy after lumbar 4 surgery, my incision is small and barely noticeable. I had to wear a brace for two months, my surgery was May 2014. The office can be hard to park at since it's at a large hospital, so go for and earlier appointment if you can.

|  very professional doc and thorough staff  |  show details
by A.L. on Jun 1st, 2014

I was here for a second opinion. He spent about 20 minutes going over my films with me with a spine model. I had a full neurological exam which was normal. We decided that I should get repeat MRI in a few months. I have a neck condition and being cared for by a pain doctor in Broward.

by Maria Diaz on Apr 18th, 2014

I had a Laminectomy with Spinal Fusion from L4-S1 done on January 24th,2014. I had two herniated discs, Stenosis which was compressing the nerves and Spondylolisthesis (L4 had moved forward). I am almost on my third month.Since the moment I spoke to Dr. Shaya, he inspired me confidence. He explained my condition thoroughly and he took the time to talk to me, which I liked. He promised me a quick recuperation. I had visited two more doctors before him and Dr. Shaya was the one that took more time to explain how he was going to perform the surgery. I waited eight long years to have this surgery. Just to try to avoid it, I spent thousand of $$ in Chriropractors, massage, Accupuncture, Epidural Injections. I would get better for a little while but fall into crisis again. I had excruciating pains on my right leg. One day I could not take it any more and decided for the surgery. I wish I would had done it sooner. Even Dr. Shaya told me after the surgery that I should have done it before to avoid the nerves being so compressed. The outcome of the surgery was very good. After the 4th day, I had no need for pain killers any more. I walked from the parking lot to his office on my week anniversary and from there, it was just better and better every week. The only thing that bothers me is the numbness on my right foot which he says it will go away with time. I started Physical Therapy but when they started giving me stronger exercises, my right leg started to hurt and I had to stop. Then he told me to do water exercises and walk in a pool. That's what I had been doing since then and I feel much better. An advise: don't wait as long as I did. The only solution for our problem is the surgery and the sooner you get it, the better. Dr. Shaya is a caring and wonderful doctor. Thank you Dr. Shaya, you gave me my life back!

|  Best Doctor!  |  show details
by Eulina Riccio on Apr 6th, 2014

Thanks to Dr. Shaya I have been pain-free for a year now. I'm glad I found the right doctor to fix my back problems and I couldn't have asked for anyone better. I waited a year to write this review because I wanted to make sure that the surgery was successful and I have never felt better. Thank you Dr. Shaya, you're the best!

by Stephen Schaurer on Mar 20th, 2014

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. I was first diagnosed with a bulging L5 disk, spondylolisthesis in 1992, and visited a surgeon (MRI, surgery not recommended), a chiropractor, a network chiropractor (helpful), and a physical therapist, who gave me simple exercises which eliminated the pain for 20 years. In the fall of 2013, the pain was relentless and PT was no longer helpful. After a visit to the ER and a CT scan, I was given pain killers and a list of a dozen surgeons and advised to consider surgery as soon as possible. I researched the surgeons listed. Dr. Shaya was consistently top-of-the-list. The surgery eliminated the pain. Dr. Shaya explained my condition and answered my questions clearly, and his staff was a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend Dr. Shaya.

|  Dr. Shaya is a Great Doctor.  |  show details
by Patricia Gamble on Mar 12th, 2014

Dr. Shaya listened to me. I felt like he heard me when I was describing what was going on with my body. I felt like he was treating me as an individual case, not as a run of the mill. He understood about my work schedule and my medical request for negligible narcotics.

|  Patient  |  show details
by Elizabeth Perez-Montes on Oct 24th, 2013

My experience with Dr. Shaya was amazing. I am a 36 female who suffered from chronic lower back pain and sciatica for three (3) years. During the last few months I was walking with a cane taking all types of medication for pain and including high blood pressure medications. When I met Dr. Shaya he assured me that after L4, L5 Laminectomy with fusion I would be fine. I trusted him, went to surgery and I can honestly say that I got my life back. Immediately after surgery I had no sciatica pain. I am now 1 month post operative, no longer taking pain medications nor high blood pressure meds and I am walking, exercising and doing everything I couldn't do before. Thank you Dr. Shaya You helped me gain my life again. I highly recommend Dr. Shaya and his friendly and helpful staff.

|  honest  |  show details
by Max P on Sep 12th, 2013

Surprised that he recommended non-surgical options and traction and I'm somewhat better without surgery. If I need surgery in the future, I will return no doubt.

|  Remarkable Recovery!  |  show details
by Felisa T. on Jul 15th, 2013

I was scared at first to have the surgery on my spine but, I don't regret it. I am 48 years old and I had terrible back pain. It was so bad that I couldn't even kneel down and had trouble standing straight after sitting down for a few minutes. But, after the surgery it all went away. I feel no more pain or discomfort from my back. Two weeks after the surgery I was walking like if I didn't just have major surgery. If i had to have nuro surgery again i would choose Dr. Shaya. This doctor is outstanding. I highly recommend him.

Jul 9th, 2013

DR.SHAYA IS THE KINDEST MAN I HAVE EVER MET. HE OPERATED ON MY SPINE WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CERVICAL STENOSIS.NOT TO MENTION THE EXCEPTIONAL STAFF HE HAS WORKING FOR HIM. THE TWO LADIES IN THE FRONT THAT TOOK MY APPOINTMENT WERE SO KIND AND SWEET AND MADE SURE THAT I WAS IN AND OUT AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE THERE NAMES ARE YOHANDRA & JELACY. I WOULD ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND THIS DOCTOR TO ANYONE IN SEARCH OF A NEUROSURGEON.HE IS THE FILET MIGNON OF ALL DOCTORS IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA. HIGHLY RANKED. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO THANK HIM AND HIS AMAZING STAFF FOR HELPING ME OUT AND BEING SO KIND. -ANONYMOUS

|  what a fine Doctor.  |  show details
by Marque Mccaw on Jun 5th, 2013

I have had two surgeries from Dr. Mark Shaya. One to stabilize two compression fractures. Which I have no pain or problems with what so ever. My second was to decompress my c1 through t4 vertebra with Kyphosis correction. Whitch came out quite well. Just an example of how through he is, when I woke up after surgery I had a choice of four different pain meds to pick from. I wish he could be my family doctor as well!!

by Sam Bassam on May 13th, 2013

I had a back surgery less than a month ago that involved spinal fusion of 2 discs and laminectomy of a 3rd one. Being in the medical field, I had spent at least 2 weeks researching a neurosurgeons that I can trust with this surgery. Dr Shaya got excellent reviews and always topped any list of recommendations I could find. I got to experience the excellent service first hand when I made my first appointment to see him. The office staff were excellent and friendly. Dr Shaya is an intelligent physician, direct to the point and gives a convincing explanation to any treatment plan including surgery if needed. I had the surgery done in less than 2 weeks from the time and I saw him, and the recovery is going extremely well considering it was an invasive surgery. I highly recommend him, and very grateful to this man.

|  L5-S1 Discectomy for Herniated Disc  |  show details
by Manuel Diaz on May 8th, 2013

I am a patient of 22 years old, who has spinal stenosis and had a severe herniated disc which I worked through for 2 years. In the beginning, the pain appeared in the right glute and progressed into my foot the last two weeks prior to surgery, in which I had only stopped vigorous exercise about a month prior to surgery. My troubles I believe were caused to heavy weight-lifting and improper treatment. Upon having surgery with Shaya, I immediately noticed improvement in my back and right leg, with the shooting pain down my back having disappeared. It is now a bit over a month, and I am now sleeping normally and still pain-free. I am very thankful to him for his treatment, and very content with the results up to now.

|  Army paratrooper ACDF, Dr. Shaya is awesome  |  show details
by Rob. H. on Apr 28th, 2013

6 years jumping out of planes had caused me some back pain. After 2 years of pills, Physical Therapy, Shots, massage, electrode therapy, witch doctors, and medicine men, I finally found the one Doctor who is no nonsense. He has fixed at least 3 fellow paratroopers that I know who recommended him. My father had the same symptoms as me when he was my age and is now much worse for wear because he waited. I had an MRI and X-ray, sat down with DR Shaya after a 15 minute wait. He immediately saw the problem and explained my surgery wasn't urgent but it would be in a year or so. 6 weeks after the operation I was back to lifting light weights and the pain is almost gone. I am suggesting him to my father as his surgery done by another doctor has not helped. Dr. Shaya is absolutely a genius.

|  a success story  |  show details
by Terry on Apr 21st, 2013

A friend and neurosurgical nurse told me to see Dr Shaya after my diagnosis of a tumor inside my spinal cord. She worked in the NY/NJ area and Florida and said she would only go to him. He successfully removed the tumor. Another physician working with Dr Shaya told me he thought no other neurosurgeon could have performed this surgery with positive results. Mark Shaya is caring, follows up, and is always available. I have my life back. And I have a hero who through an incredible surgical skill has allowed me to continue walking.

|  Laminectomy  |  show details
by Harold T on Mar 2nd, 2013

I am a 48 year old male who has experienced Sciatica from time to time over the last several years. In Jan 2013 the pain became intolerable and I went to the ER. Simple tasks like walking or standing would nearly bring me to tears. I was diagnosed with a herniated disk and stenosis. An MRI was ordered and I was referred to Dr Shaya. During my first visit with Dr Shaya I was impressed with his direct, no nonsense approach. He reviewed the imaging with me and immediately determined that I needed surgery on L2-L5 ASAP. Surgery took place 4 days later and the relief of the debilitating pain was immediate and complete! It has now been one month since the surgery, I have had zero complications, and I am feeling stronger every day. Dr Shaya truly restored my quality of life!

Nov 20th, 2012

Dr. Shaya was a blessing to my life! I was at a point that I could hardly walk and, now it's only 5 weeks after my surgery and, I could probably run a mile. To me Dr. Shaya saved my life! I reccomend him to anyone. He along with his staff are top notch and, are a pleasure to deal with. Earl Shub a 64 year old male.

|  Yvette Pascal  |  show details
Nov 13th, 2012

Dr Mark Shaya after Good is for me # 1and he is the best

|  INDIVIDUAL GREATNESS AND EXCELLENCE  |  show details
Nov 7th, 2012

It is extremely easy to write a review endorsing Dr. Mark R. Shaya MD practice. He combines sharpened skills as Neurological surgeon as well he manages state of the art technology in his field. I did arrive very anguished to his office with a major problem in two of my spine discs. A close friend provided me the best references from his practice. He was my "third opinion" and I will never regret meeting with him. He is EXCELLENT as a doctor and compassionate as a person. He practiced on me an Anterior Cervical Disectomy with fusion (ACDF) on September 28th, 2012. He explained matters that previous specialists I consulted did not explain to me. Our empathy was immediatly agreed with my surgery. He irradiates confidence and wisdom. Thank you so much Dr. Shaya for saving my life and give me courage to take the decision to improve my life and release me from pain and insomnia. I have not doubts to recommend his ethics as a neurological specialist.He has made me proud about American medicine, and as his patient and friend, I am sure he will continue to grow in his practice and beyond. Blessings Dr. Shaya and Thank you again!Dr. Wilbert D. GonzalezPh.D. Art Historian & Architect.Hallandale Beach - FL -33009

|  Great Experience  |  show details
Oct 30th, 2012

When I found out that I had to have surgery on my neck I reviewed the doctors in Miami and found out Dr. Shaya's rating. I made and appt with him on a friday and had my surgery the following monday. Within a month I was able to go back to work and had no problem at all with my neck. It has been three months since my surgery and I am completely without pain. My whole experience with the office staff was amazing. They are super nice and I would recommend anyone to go see him if they have a problem with their spine. Thank you for everything Chad Browning.

|  ACDF surgery, 4 Level (C3 through C6)  |  show details
Aug 17th, 2012

Dr. Shaya was the third doctor I visited about my Cervical Spine. I knew, as soon as I talked to him, I wanted him to perform my ACDF surgery. Dr. Shaya is very professional, direct and to the point. He explained the surgery in a way I could understand along with possible results and what to expect while recovering. He answered all my questions clearly. Additionally all of his experienced office staff was helpful and courteous. When in the hospital Dr. Shaya visited at least once every day to check on my progress. I am 65 years old and in my opinion my recovery has very fast for ACDF surgery on 4 levels (C3 through C6 vertebra). I credit Dr. Shaya's technique and experience for my quick recovery. I am extremely satisfied with the outcome of my surgery and recovery period and am giving Dr. Shaya my highest possible recommendation.Pete C. Signorelli

|  my surgery  |  show details
Aug 11th, 2012

i just had my cervical spine operation with dr mark shaya on july 9 2012. its been only a month and my recuperation has been a success and also my surgery .

Aug 8th, 2012

I am Mark R. Shaya's Patient. I am very satisfied with his work. I have had two operations with him , and both have been for the better. Thanks to him my pain has eased. He is very professional and is also a great person.

|  Superior Specialist Brain Surgery  |  show details
Jul 20th, 2012

I was very lucky this spectacular surgon saw me and had a great outcome from a large brain tumor. Dr, Mark Shaya is the finest surgon in Miami or at any hospital. I saw patients walk from serious spinal trauma. He saved my life.

Jul 10th, 2012

I have seen several doctors with no success. After seeing Dr.Shaya, he performed surgery immediately, relieving my headaches, improving my vision, and also giving me the ability to move my neck. I highly recommend him to anyone in need of a highly trained and skilled neurosurgeon.

Jun 20th, 2012

the overall experience was wonderfull, I went to the first appoinment and I did not know what to expect, I was afraid of my diagnosis; he was so understanding and cared so much about my well being that he inspired the confidence I needed to go ahead with the surjury. My recovery has been outstanding. Sincerely graytfull Adriana Garcia.

|  BEST DOCTOR !  |  show details
Jun 7th, 2012

very very happy with Dr.Shaya Mark I'am so happy my Husband has no pain and he's of his meds, my God Bless him allways. the Gil's family.

|  Brilliant Doctor!  |  show details
Jun 2nd, 2012

Dr. Shaya is a wonderful surgeon who's knowledge and skills gave me a new lease on life through a lumbar lamenectomy. I am now enjoying activities that I otherwise would never had been able to. I highly recommend others with back issues seek out Dr. Shaya as you will find it well worth your time.

|  paciente  |  show details
May 30th, 2012

Tanto el staff como el doctor, son extraordinarios, les estoy muy agradecido por su profecionalismo.

|  Great surgeon  |  show details
May 26th, 2012

Had neck surgery last week. Could not be happier. My arm pain is gone! My neck cracking has disappeared. Dr. Shaya is the best around.

|  top notch  |  show details
May 9th, 2012

Awesome doc who is highly recommended by everyone I have spoken to. expect long waits for any visit but that is probably because he is taking the time to check on his patients or fully diagnose them. I have had two surgeries with him and one procedure and he initially was my 2nd opinion. I highly recommend him.

|  Dr. Shaya is the best  |  show details
Apr 25th, 2012

He was my third and last opinion. I should have started here. Cervical ACDF. Pain almost 95 percent gone and getting better every day. I could not be happier.

Apr 14th, 2012

So professional, so dedicated, thank you

|  Claro Perez, Patient  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2012

My dad had lost his will to live due to a number of years of living with severe back pain due to an injury. Dr. Shaya performed a decompression about a month ago and he is recovering very nicely. He is very confident of a full recovery as he noticed a remarkable improvement hours after the surgery. We are very grateful to Dr. Shaya and his staff for the loving care and professionalism shown on our journey.

|  Manuel Abreu  |  show details
Mar 28th, 2012

Dr Shaya performed surgery for a Meningioma last November 2011. I had a great experience with Dr. Shaya and continue to receive excellent care from him. His office staff is very attentive and helpful.

|  Flight Attendent  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2012

Dr. Shaya is the GREATEST DR. EVER!!! I had to have multiple surgeries for severe neck problems, could have been paralized and this Dr. saved me. He is BRILLIANT!!. It's been several months and can't believe I have the feeling back in my hands, fingers and feet. His staff got me in there as soon as I called and they are the nicest, sweetest, most helpful people, Vanessa and Michael are awesome. As for Dr. Shaya, I drove over 2 hours to see him and I would drive 100 hours. I come from Baltimore and would only go to Johns Hopkins, but now I will only go to Dr. Shaya. He is as BRILLIANT as he is NICE!!! Thank you Dr. Shaya, Michael and Vanessa. God Bless all of you.Darlene

Mar 9th, 2012

Dr. Mark R. Shaya operated my lower back due to L1-S1 stenosis with instability. The operation was a total success. I had lost total control of my right foot and had weakness on both my lower legs. After surgery & rehab I gained control of my right foot and strength on my legs. He is a no nonsense straight shooter. I can highly recommend him to my family and friends. A first class surgeon and person.

|  Cannot say enough great things!  |  show details
Feb 14th, 2012

Great, caring doctor and great staff. nowledgeable. Surgery performed help me with all my problems. Extremely happy with the result.

|  I am walking today  |  show details
Jan 6th, 2012

A neurosurgical nurse with years of experience recommended Dr Shaya. She said there was only one neurosurgeon that I should considerwith my particular problem. There was a possibility that I would be paralyzed from my waist down. One year later I am walking with no pain. A truly gifted, skilled, and caring physician.

|  FOLLOW-UP / FEES RECONSIDERED  |  show details
Dec 20th, 2011

After further discussion with this practice, they agreed to waive the fees associated with completing STD/FMLA forms so that the patient could avail himself of his short term disability coverage. This was much appreciated.

|  Best in town  |  show details
Dec 16th, 2011

I had cervical surgery last month, I am completely cured of the pain I had over half a year.Dr. Shaya is super and his office is very nice and organized.He was my FOURTH opinion and I am happy I went with him.

|  Charges exorbitant fees for completing FMLA and/or STD forms  |  show details
Dec 9th, 2011

I would steer clear of this physician if you plan on requesting that he complete any type of FMLA or Short Term Disability paperwork. He charges a $500.00 fee for this service - a fee that the patient will be required to pay. Most physicians charge in the neighborhood of $25.00 - $50.00 for this service - if anything! There are many wonderful neurosurgeons in Miami - look elsewhere.

|  Richard Pappa  |  show details
Sep 22nd, 2011

Dr Shaya is the most professional and knowledgeable Dr. in the medical field I have ever known. His diagnosis was spot on and his operative skill must have been God sent. My life is now pain free and I can walk without fear of collasping. He is a Man that treats you with compassion but not pamper. His assistant surgical team also of the highest of accolades.

Sep 16th, 2011

Glad I went for a second opinion!

May 9th, 2011

Very careful and thoughtful doctor. I was very pleased to have my husband cared for by Dr. Shaya and his staff

|  Dr. Shaya is God  |  show details
Mar 18th, 2011

Dr. Shaya is the best neurosurgeon in Miami. I considered going to the University of Miami, but I just didn't want a resident working on me.Dr. Shaya is super skilled and a great guy.If you want the best care in Miami, go to him hands down.

Mar 8th, 2009

I had lumbar surgery with Dr. Shaya. He fixed me perfectly and I recommend him. The best around!