inactive

Martin S Balin MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.3

March 18th, 2013
Very satisfied
We were very satisfied with Dr. Balin. Only had to go through in vitro one time and were successful right away. Had beautiful, healthy twin boys. We found his staff very responsive during treatment where a lot of phone calls were necessary to coordinate medication and ultrasounds. Never had to spend too much time waiting at the office.We would definitely recommend Dr. Balin.

August 15th, 2012
Horrible Doctor. The Dr. and his Assistant are rude and unprofessional.They know they are not being guided by the same standards as other professional physicians since Infertility treatments are Not Regulated by the Government there No Satndards and Dr. Balin has No Low very Satndards. Stay Away. This guy is out for the Money fast and does not care.\

January 3rd, 2012
Felt like a cancer patient given 3mons to live..
where do I start; first of all, I waited more than an hour to be seen at each and every appt. I was giving an HSG to find out if my tube was open and it was the most painful experience of my life. I was never offered anything for the pain. Forgot to mention, I've had this procedure done before and was not painful at all. Dr. Balin doesn't listen, he's very unprofessional, his nurse never returns calls. He was very cold-hearted in his reaction to my situation and made me feel there was absolutely no hope for me. This information was giving to my husband and I a day before new years eve, so you could imagine how we celebrated. I would recommend all woman to stay far away from this doctor. Even if ther is bad news in the end, you wouldn't wanna be told by this doctor!!

March 17th, 2011
I am so happy with him
I am a loyal patient of Dr. Balin. I had been a patient of several RE doctor's throughout my journey with IVF when I was referred to Dr. Balin. My history was rather extensive and Dr. Balin bothered to look through everything. He read in between the lines and had a lot of questions. A previous doctor wanted to remove my tubes due to blockage and he performed a test not one, but twice to show me that they were not and they did not need removal. He is no Dr. Hollywood, and he is a no nonsense kind of doctor. He doesn't give you any false hopes (unlike other doctor's promising you that you WILL get pregnant .. when they don't know that). Well ... on my 2nd cycle with Dr. Balin we were successful. I am now the proud parent of a 5 year old ... and if I have a boy his name will be Martin in his honor. He was able to also freeze 4 wonderful embryos. I really don't agree with a lot of the reviews. He is a little on the late side, but he has a very harsh schedule. He is a teacher, an OB/GYN, and and RE. My husband and I love him ... and we are some of the most difficult people to please.

June 23rd, 2010
Would recommend
I went to Dr. Balin 3 years ago and was pregnant by my second cycle with him. He's always been courteous and empathetic. He's actually got a good sense of humor and has made me laugh on many occasions. Going through the procedures are part of the process and I've although an HSG is painful, if you take your pain meds. as recommended it's only painful when the dye enters. I will say, however, that I have waited a long time (2 hours) on 3 occasions but he has come out to inform me why there's a delay and when I will be seen. I would recommend him to anyone who has had infertility problems as the only negative comment I have is the wait time. Other than that he's already helped me get pregnant with a beautiful healthy girl.

June 16th, 2010
Stay away from this doctor.
He is awfully late for every appointment, at least by an hour sometimes even 2 hours. He was also very unprofessional and rude. He doesn't try to listen to and understand patients' problems. He routinely performs surgeries at Mercy Hospital which is in a very unsafe neighborhood (my husband was assaulted by a bunch of black teenagers during daytime just outside of this hospital while I was undergoing surgery for polyp removal). Neither the doctor nor the nurse has courtesy to warn us about the dangers of that neighborhood (we are new to the city). I deeply regret my decision to see him.I strongly discourage anyone from seeing him.

April 13th, 2010
I waited for over an hour. There was no one else in the waiting room. The equipment was dusty and dirty. I had to call a few times to get my results. The tests he did were coded wrong and insurance declined to pay. It took over 9 months to resolve.

February 5th, 2010
I have to agree with all of the other comments! Let me start by saying that Ive never written a negative comment on a website about anything or anyone before but I feel an obligation to warn other women about Dr. Balin. I was a patient of his for approximately 6 months and it was 6 months too long! He is the most condescending, arrogant, insensitive doctor I've ever encountered. He is chronically late for appointments (hour +), interns will participate in all doctors visits with or without your permission, he will lecture and make value judgments on every subject, and hes a cranky old man! This is a doctor that should not be working with patients and particularly women who are dealing with sensitive issues such as infertility. I left his office in tears after every single visitand I dont cry easily! During the midst of an excruciatingly painful procedure, Dr. Balin paused, smiled and said to me this is nothing compared to childbirth. A few days later, I did some research online and found out that women are often sedated for this procedure because its so painful! After another procedure, one of the nurses who was not affiliated with Dr. Balin, quietly suggested in the recovery room that I use another physician. Adding insult to injuryI found out from my current RE that many of his recommendations and treatment plans were outdated and that he is not current on the latest researchso the previous 6 months have been a complete waste of my time! The one positive is that he has a great staff and thats why I stuck with him so long however, if I could give a 0 rating on this physician, I would! Unless youre a masochist, I would implore you to take all of the comments on this website under consideration before seeing this doctor!

December 5th, 2009
Worst medical experience of my life
Dr. Balin was the most unprofessional doctor I have met in my entire life and I am appalled by his treatment of me during the initial visit. I would never return to his office and I am writing this review in hopes that it will prevent another woman from experiencing the humiliation, berating, and criticism that I did. I was referred to Dr. Balin by my OBGYN for help with a diagnosis of PCOS. After waiting for 50 minutes after my appointment time, Dr. Balin finally greeted my partner and I. He began by inquiring rather accusingly whether my partner and I were "actively trying to conceive" when we began to try and explain our situation he rudely interrupted and began lecturing us about how if we were not there to conceive that he could not help us because he could not bill for the services to get paid. He was not at all willing to take the time to listen to what we were saying and responded very unsympathetically when we tried to explain that we were referred to him by another doctor. We tried to find out what type of doctor we should seek out if he in fact was not able to help us. Without offering us any suggestions, he continued to complain that he could not bill us for the visit if it was not for fertility and therefore was unwilling to help. When we tried to say that we understand this but wanted an opportunity to explain why we had been referred to him, he began to berate and scold us for not having lab work from the other doctors. (this is even when the other doctors had not done lab work or given copies to bring) He finally gave me a few minuted to begin telling him why I was referred and promptly interrupted me to ask in a very condescending tone why I had stopped taking birth control. I explained that I had been taking birth control for 10 years and was trying to live a healthier more natural lifestyle and loose weight and thought that being off birth control might help me. He very smugly told me that "birth control does not make you gain weight, eating makes you gain weight" and then continued by telling me that I'm not losing weight because "you don't diet and exercise". When I explained to Dr. Balin that the majority of weight I gained (30 lbs) was while I was walking 20 miles per day and eating a healthy diet, he replied "maybe you should walk 40". At this point, I felt so belittled that I began to cry. My partner tried to continue talking to Dr. Balin who then offered that he could help me by referring me to a dietitian. We we both so upset by this point, that we got up and walked out of the office. I did not get any information about PCOS, which is what I was referred to Dr. Balin for. Instead, I was disrespected and humiliated. I only hope that no other person has to be treated this way by Dr. Balin.

February 7th, 2009
Very Frustrated
First of all, I should have known something was up when I called and was able to get an appointment the same day. I moved to the area and need to get an exam, so I DID NOT do my research and just settled with the first doctor that could see me the quickest. When I got to his office, I had to wait for over one hour and I remember that it was after 5pm and the office staff had left. Luckily my husband was with me. When I finally made it in the office, I was dumbfounded by the order of his office, there were literally thousands of documents all over his desk, I was wondering how in the heck he could find anything. When he walked in, he introduced a lady who was a PA that was going through her internship I guess. I told him my problem with my husband by my side. He said he wanted to do the test then and asked my husband to wait in the waiting room. While I was in the room, he performed the test with the PA there. When he was finished, he asked if she wanted to examine me as well, talk about a PIECE of MEAT!!!!, and NO, they never asked me if I minded, cared, complied or even agreed to let her do this. After this embarrassing issue, I got dressed and went back in to wait for the doctor to come back in.When he did return, I watched the doctor place the sample he took from me and place it on his desk, the same desk that was holding the THOUSAND'S of documents. My husband was there with me and he spoke to us both. Upon us leaving, he said for US to contact HIM for my results in two weeks. Three weeks later, I called and the tests were not ready. I called a week later and had to page the doctor to call me. I was finally able to contact him by CELL PHONE, he might as well punched me in the stomach or slapped my face, but no. He tells me that my tests came back negative (which is bad) and goes in to other details which will not be posted here. Basically, after I got off the phone with him, I thought I only had a few more months to live, and that either my husband or I was at fault. Luckily, my husband has a doctor in the family and he was able to get in touch with him almost 6 hours later. He explained to him what the doctor had said and expressed to him our fears. He spent the next 30 mins on the phone, LONG DISTANCE calming our fears and telling us of past tests that was performed on the issue. He basically told us in simple terms and gave us references to back up his story. After that phone call and when we returned home, we got on the internet and began to do our own research. We found that he was right, it was an issue, but not near as tramatic as Dr Balin wanted us to believe. Dr Balin stressed to me that there was not cure for what he said I had. I was able to find in as little as five mins on the internet that even if I have what he says, 90% of women who have this, their bodies cure it. I WILL ABSOLUTELY NEVER GO BACK TO SEE HIM AND STRONGLY SUGGEST WHOM EVER READS THIS TO SERIOUSLY RE-THINK THEIR DECISION.

November 10th, 2008
I will NEVER go to him again!
I am a 25 year old woman who felt absolutely disgusted after I left Dr. Balin's office. I went to see him after having several pains in my stomach. After waiting over 45 minutes to see him for my first appointment he basically gave me no new information. Over the next few months he ran painful tests on me without ever giving me an answer to what was wrong. His nurse never followed up with me on time and even called me and gave me test results of ANOTHER PATIENT. I would NEVER go back to him if my life depended on it.