Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Fibromyalgia: 'Default' diagnosis in absence of other appropriate tests. show details Fibromyalgia: 'Default' diagnosis in absence of other appropriate tests.
by Lyme Arthritis on Jul 14th, 2016

I went to Kafina in 2011 after I found out I had (osteo) arthritis of the hip. You see, soon thereafter, a LOT of joints started bothering me. So I went to him to check out a possible SYSTEMIC condition that could relate to why I was experiencing pain in many more joints other than the one of known osteo and why would that come on so suddenly. He did some blood tests: P-ANCA, C-ANCA, ESR,CRP and anti-nuclear antibody screen in which I tested negative. Those tests are for Rheumatoid arthritis. So, that was ruled out, at the time, as cause for the multi-joint symptoms. He asked me if I wanted to have some X rays done. My reponse was that I brought some X-rays WITH ME that he could look at. I found it strange that he did not want to look at the X rays I brought with me (which were recent) yet suggested I take X rays. I declined on the basis of if a doc can't take a look at the X rays you have, who's to know if he's going to take a look at the X rays he's suggesting you take. He pressed around on some areas of my body and then diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Thing is, years LATER (recently), I've found that all of my symptoms (which got way worse) are consistent with late stage (untreated) Lyme. So, I'm wondering now WHY a doc (who practices in an area with a high TICK population--Concord--) did not think to run a test for possible Lyme or tick related problem given that my complaints of constant fatique and multi joint attacks are associated with Lyme. In fact, tick related systemic infections are often misdiagnosed as Fibromyalgia. After much research, I've also found my symptoms are consistent with Calcium Pyrophosphate Disorder (CPPD). Although I'm not an MD (but was pre-med at a leading science institution), in retrospect, I'd say a more IN DEPTH rheumatology work up/exploration for complaints such as MULTI-joint pain, fatigue and a lot of other symptoms, would include, IN ADDITION to the tests that rule out rheumatoid arthritis (which he did do), would include looking for CPPD and Lyme. Basically, 'Fibromyalgia' is something they can posit when MORE conditions than Rheumatoid arthritis can be ruled out, eg. CPPD or Lyme. But when they don't go the 'extra mile' to rule things out that are ALSO consistent with the symptoms, Fibromyalgia can be a 'lazy default' for a Rheumatologist. Like it can be a 'diagnosis' for symptoms they CAN'T find any other condition that would explain the symptoms. But when they DON'T BOTHER to explore for OTHER things that COULD relate to the symptoms, a diagnosis for Fibro veers into a 'lazy default'. That said, I will give him 2 stars for doing the tests to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis. But he doesn't get the other 3 stars given he did not give tests to rule out CPPD and LYME and also declined to review the x ray I had in hand and instead suggested I take X rays.

Disappointing show details Disappointing
Sep 4th, 2015

Dr. Kafina's office practice isn't efficient, I experienced a few small "misses" for simple processes. One big miss too. Dr. Kafina personally phoned me about a month after my visit to ask what medication he had prescribed. He told me it wasn't written down and admitted he wasn't great with the new computer systems. I also felt Dr. Kafina wasn't interested in my case and was sort of just going through the motions.

Does not care. show details Does not care.
Dec 30th, 2014

Most unpleasant experience I've ever had with a physician.

Feb 3rd, 2012

I only had several visits with Kafina over the past few months, and Im thinking of changing to another specialist. Long waiting, he seemed to be rushing me off all the time, not to mention the nurse during pre-check-in. Spent about 5 minutes the most with me after my long wait. I was in a lot of pain for multiple symptoms for a very long time before I even end-up in his office. The receptionist/operator was awful, very unprofessional phone manner; always hung-up on me before I can finish what I was saying. For example: I left doctors order on her desk by accident and called to have it fax over to EH in Westford, she hung up the phone before I can finish telling her that its EH in Westford not in Concord... I called her back about 15 mins later when I/we didnt receive the order yet. She sounded mad because she had faxed over to EH in Concord instead of Westford... and there were several incidents prior to this one. Being sick is already stressing me out enough, I certainly don't need that kind of an attitude to add to it Thank you very much!

good doctor show details good doctor
Apr 29th, 2011

He is concerned and tries very hard to solve the problem. At times, his attitude can be casual -- his coping mechanism.Always willing to explain procedures and treatments.

not sure how he has gotten this high a rating show details not sure how he has gotten this high a rating
Mar 29th, 2011

I have had several experiences with Kafina over several years, which finally led me to changing to another internist. Waiting long times are not only my experience, others I have met there have had same experience. The worst though was an annual physical where the nurse spent 5 minutes with me in the pre-check (that is fine) and then he spent abosolutely no more than 10 minutes for my physical with him. Unheard of. Also, when he was over an hour late and pressed for time, I had two situations, one I was in pain with and he put off checking me out on the that condition saying, "let's deal with one thing at a time". what happened to the part of the oath that has to do with trying to relieve pain ?.... also known in my oath as, "give me a break doc".

caring & knowledgable show details caring & knowledgable
Apr 24th, 2008

Dr. Kafina finally diagnosed the problem others missed. Wish I had gone to him first!