Dr. Mary Dyes MD Patient Reviews

• Neurology Long Beach, CA

• Good
  • Bad

March 18th, 2014
Parent of patient. (2 year old)
I would absolutely never recommend this doctor or anyone in her office to anyone. We have been seeing dr dyes for over a year and I can honestly say she knows nothing about my son. From the beginning she would look at him and say he definitely doesn't have autism so just come back in 3 months. This went on for an entire year. Until I as his mother pushed for further testing. This is where the real issues began. I spoke with dr. dyes nurse, Ginger whom tried to convince me that the testing was too expensive to do. Too expensive and not necessary and that our insurance would not cover. Basically she gave me every excuse in the book to not do it (without even consulting the dr). I flat out told her I don't care how much it would cost that we wanted it to happen. She promised to call after speaking with the doctor and never did. This became a habit. Promises to call back and never getting a call back. unfortunately for them I am a persistent son of a gun and would call back and get answers. Needless to say the labs were approved and ordered but the doctor (one of which i requested the other I had no idea was being done and found out through the insurance company because the doctor NEVER called me). Then BJ (not sure of her title) told me that insurance had to approve the labs. I called our insurance company and they assured me they did not need to be approved. However BJ and whomever else was in charge of this in their office made me wait 3 weeks. Regardless of my endless emails and phone calls telling them that we didn't need approval. 3 weeks later they FINALLY agreed that no approval was necessary. Labs were taken and then more time was spent waiting. I could go on and on about the conversations we had. One in which the nurse, Ginger had no idea what one of the test results told us other then that he was a male…um seriously. I think we figured that one out without the test. I asked her a number of questions and she repeatedly said "I don't know" and actually told me to "google it!" Absolutely absurd. Finally our important test results were in and the same fabulous nurse let it slip that they were in however that they couldn't tell us that they said because the doctor was not in. That we would have to wait until next week. Uncalled for. And you better believe that I did not stand for it. I suggested that if the doctor is too busy or simply didn't care about my son to fax results my pediatrician. Which is what they ended up doing (after hours). Trying to make it difficult for me to get the results. My husband and I still met with the neurologist after receiving the results from our pediatrician hoping that she could give us more insight in his diagnosis. We got absolutely nothing out of the meeting. Frankly after researching his diagnosis for 3 days we knew much more on the subject then she did or then she cared to know. Dealing with this office has been stressful, exhausting and in no way helpful. My only hope is that vocalizing our experience will keep future patients from going through the same thing.

April 24th, 2013
EXCELLENT
Could not ask for better. My son was followed by Dr. Dyes for many years. She is experienced, knowledgeable, kind, and patient. Will answer all of your questions professionally and spends adequate time with each and every one of her patients. In addition, she coordinates with your PCP and other specialists you may see to ensure the best medical care possible. Bottom line: Awesome. Unfortunately, if you or your loved one has Medi-Cal or an HMO - California is changing the way insurance handles patient care, including authorizations for specialists. Due to this situation, we have been denied services by the insurance companies - both the HMO through my employment (primary), and the Medi-Cal managed care health plan my son is enrolled in (secondary). Soon he will have a better insurance resource and he will be able to see Dr. Dyes again ( YAY! )

June 11th, 2010
LOVE HER!!
My family LOVES Dr. Dyes...she saved my childs life..and we are so greatful to her. She was always there for us, when we had questions and never rushed us durning our appointments. when my child was in the hospital..she was always available when we needed her. I really feel that if my child had another doctor we would be in another situation. I tell everyone I know about her and her staff who have made us feel welcome and comfortable when ever we are there. LOVE THEM !

January 25th, 2010
She could be better...
I have had the worst time getting follow up appointments through her office. She has a horrible bed side manner and didnt offer much information. I got more info on my sons diagnosis through internet than her. I would change neuros but it would be a big hassel to switch doctors. Also I have heard from other parents that they had bad experiences with her also. I should have asked around first before I commited myself to her.

December 16th, 2015