Dr. Mary Ellen Heisler MD Patient Reviews

May 9th, 2016
Saw Dr. Heisler after seeing another nonVA doctor for 15 years. In just one visit she was so thorough and asked questions my other doctor never asked and did a bunch of tests. She found I had a severe anemia from lack of iron. She immediately got me a colon study and caught a cancer before it had spread. I feel she saved my life. I have been seeing her ever since and appreciate how thorough and caring she is.

November 18th, 2015
Fantastic doctor
I finally feel like I have found a doctor who really listens, responds immediately to my questions and concerns (she even gave me her cell phone number if I need to call her as well as her personal email). When I email her she responds right away. I also like that she takes time to explain things and directs me to resources. She is thorough about my medical issues but has taken the time to know me as a person, about my family and interests. She also focuses more than other doctors I have had on being sure I am eating well, getting activity, dealing with stress, sleeping well--helping me be as healthy as possible.

August 15th, 2015
best doctor
I had a lot of doctors as I have a lot chronic illnesses and health problems. She is the best doctor I have had and have been with her since 2006. She is thorough and knowledgable and takes enough time to really explain things and understand my concerns. I feel she knows everything about me, not just my medical conditions and best treatments but also about me as a person. She helps me figure out ways I can take steps to be healthier. I found out she went to Harvard Medical School and is a leading expert on diabetes and was not surprised to learn this. She answers my emails right away and gives her patients her cell phone number to be sure we can reach her any time. The nurses and pharmacists who work with her also reach out to me and stay in close touch to help me. I have private insurance but feel best about the care I get at VA.

July 31st, 2015
Grateful
She is best doctor I have had. She is thorough and compassionate. I know she really cares about me and know me as person. Also really counsels and provides education. Does not just focus on treating with mess but also knows a lot about nutrition and exercise. I wish all doctors took whole view like her

July 31st, 2015
great doctor
amazing doctor. Unfortunately only sees VA patients so have to go to AAVA to see her

June 20th, 2015
I was a patient of hers at the Ann Arbor VA from 2010-2014. She and the AA VA radiologists missed a 3x4x6 cm tumor in my pelvis that was present on 2 separate scans. COMPLETELY MISSED IT TWICE! When I asked for a different type of scan and to see a specialist, she refused to order either, saying I had enough of a workup. Interrupted me everytime I tried to say something. If she had let me finish a sentence, it would have saved time in the end and accomplished more. Told me she would order more refills on one of my medicines, then left the country without ordering it, causing me great hardship. When I complained of being short of breath, she responded with "but you look great" and did nothing to find out why I was short of breath. So upbeat and positive (overly hyper and happy) that she did not recognize serious medical problems. When I needed certain medications that required approval, she didn't even try to get them approved. (I found out this was an option after I changed to a different doctor in the VA.) Went on a sabbatical without notifying her patients. Because she had told me to use her U of M email instead of the VA email system, my emails to her were not answered by anyone when she was on sabbatical.