Dr. Mary Hlavin MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

September 2nd, 2016
Dr. Hlavin is fantastic, I have been in here care for five years, she's always so bright and enthusiastic, I am very comfortable with her. She always makes sure to thoroughly explain my test results. Highly recommend my Doctor!

April 13th, 2016
Dr. Hlavin has severe anger issues
I am not a patient but a nurse who worked for Dr. Hlavin. The negative reviews here are correct. She has severe anger issues and takes these out on her patients and staff. She is a skilled surgeon when it comes down to it but her personality is very, very difficult to put up with. She has gone through many nurses due to her abusive behavior and has been reported by OTHER DOCTORS for being verbally abusive. Find someone else. Dr. Hlavin is rude, angry, impatient, arrogant, and sometimes downright violent.

July 29th, 2015
Her bedside manners are horrible. She doesn't listen to patients. She is rude. I don't recommend her to anyone that needs back surgery

February 3rd, 2015
Not what I expected from a professional
This is not a good rating by any means as I was talked down to, left clueless and had to do all the talking. I went in to talk to her and could not remember a previous doctors name. She scolded my husband and I by saying" Well, I need that information!" As if she wasn't interrogating us to start with for information from almost a decade before, she then had a beep and looked at it saying" I need to take this" and walked out of the room. To be gone for approx. 10 minutes. She returned and said she was sending me for MRI of lumbar and brain. That is the last I heard from her. I had tests and she never called, sent a letter, anything. Two weeks later I requested an appt online to review results and she had her nurse call me the next morning. He stated" Well the doctor didn't give me any notes or anything but had me tell you that 80% of America has this and there is nothing she can do for you. I have 3 bulging discs, spinal stenosis and mild encroachment with soft tissue swelling. Wow, that is all I can say. If 80% of America has this and has flares for 3 walks that make you immobile, then doctors are failing us! She couldn't make a buck so I did not even get a phone call until I put forth the effort. If she had taken a few minutes of her uninterrupted time she would of known that I have arthritis, post operative chronic pain in lumbar and fibromyalgia along with a trillion other things. She had not looked at any of it until I got there and she was in the room with me. She did not even know who referred me to her. She basically told me it was in my head, though she had her nurse do it. Now after seeing much more appropriate professionals, I am told this will never go away and I should file for disability. This doctor is what gives others a bad name. BEWARE!

January 23rd, 2014
These negative reviews are correct. I am disgusted on how I was treated. I have had pain shots, physical therapy and even though the MRI say I have 2 bulging disc she made me feel like it was all in my head. Will not be going back I am looking for another Dr.

April 9th, 2012
Completely Un-profeCompletely un-professionalssional
i was very excited to get in to see another neuro surgeon after a not so pleasant appointment with a different one. I arrived on time but she was already running late. I sat in the waiting room for an hour before even being called back to the exam room. I then waited another hour for her to walk in. When she walked in she seemed very nice, but that all changed after a few minutes. We started talking to her about what was going on with my back pain because of my bulged disc and i soon asked a question. She didn't seem to happy that i did so. She soon became very snappy with me and my mother and was being very snappy. She was being very disrespectful and wasn't even talking to me because she was repeating herself in a slower tone while staring at my mom like she was a little kid. She then went on saying that i just needed to lose weight. I know that i'm not the lightest man in the world, being 271 lbs., but she really crossed the line when she said, and i quote "he's too fat for me to do anything to help him". This was the last straw for me. I got up (as fast as i could) and said that it was over and that we were leaving. I wouldn't recommend her to anyone, i wouldn't wish that kind of care to my worst enemy. No body deserves to be treated with that much disrespect especially when all they are looking for is answers.

October 11th, 2011
spinal stenosis patient in 2008
I was not pleased with this surgeon, I had tried numerous methods to relieve the pain in my right leg which was caused by the vertebra pressing on the spinal cord but nothing had worked, in fact I had to go to the ER twice because of the pain...I wasn't happy about going to Mercy Hospital but it was the only hospital the surgeon was affiliated with in Des Moines, IA...my first surgery my blood pressure went down so low that the surgeon closed me up and I was then tested to see why my blood pressure bottomed out, it was determined that laying on my stomach was the problem and I am overweight so that could have contributed to the problem, my second surgery went well but afterwards I still had pain in my right leg, the surgeon stated, I was afraid of that, and another surgery was scheduled, the third surgery went well but afterwards the surgeon prescribed a back brace which was in two pieces, one front and one back, the brace made out of some kind of hard plastic went from you upper chest down to my groin area, after adjustments it still didn't fit right and the only way I could wear it was standing up, in the hospital I was made to put it on and shower with it on but the surgeon said at home I didn't have to do that, I will say also that after going to Mercy Hospital 3 times the nurses weren't very nice to me so maybe they were tired of seeing me there...I worked very hard to be able to get around on my own and did such a good job that the physical therapy people decided I didn't need any help so no physical therapy was prescribed...in adddition I was on strong pain meds and since I already take pain meds for fibromyalgia and a bad knee I need more than most patients but the surgeons assistant threatened me with refusing to fill the meds if I took more than he felt I should...the outcome of my surgery is pain in my lower back, the pain in my leg is gone but now my lower back is usually causing me pain all the time, there are times it is so bad I have to take more pain meds and my legs are still messed up, I don't walk straight, I have a lot of weakness and even after physical therapy I initiated quite a while after the surgeries I still have more problems that I started out with...I never spoke with the surgeon after my recovery and tried to call her office but they told me she didn't work there anymore and they weren't sure where she had gone...all in all I would never want her to do that surgery and I'm sorry I had her do it in the first place...I'm sure she is a nice person but was not the surgeon for me.

July 14th, 2011
Excellent Doctor!
I went to her with pain down my leg. She suggested I try other means to resolve and have surgery as last result. I did this first and eventually went back to her. She was very nice, caring, and fixed my back. I recommend her to anyone who needs a great doctor who is a great person.

December 28th, 2010
very successful back surgery
My experience was great for as scared as I was. They were so good to me. I could call anytime and speak to someone. They even got me scheduled for surgery sooner when I was so anxious I didn't feel I could hardly wait another day. I walked from my bed in recovery, no help to the bathroom by myself no pain, it was wonderful. everyone was surprised. I have much, much faith in her. If you need a good back surgeon I would definitely look her up.

October 23rd, 2009
The Best Nuerosurgeon God has given us.
She was a true blessing to our son. She took the absloute most time and care with him. I will forever be grateful to her.