Dr. Mary Honkanen Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Mary Honkanen?

May 19th, 2015

Review of an excellent doctor

she is absolutely the best when it comes to lipids & treatment. She did get my husband to quit smoking immediately. Unbelievable with her education and explanations of diagnosis, medicines and treatment plans of diet & meds. I would highly recommend this physician to anyone that has lipid elevation!!

May 8th, 2013

RN

My husband went in due to general practitioner's referral due to side effects from statin drugs and very high cholesterol. She was nice, put him on medication that he already taken in past (which he told her left him debilitated and with no quality of life due to pain from the medication side effects). She wanted him to try it "her way". Needless to say, 2 weeks later, he was hardly able to get out of bed, he was incontinent of bowels. I took him off of the medication and called Dr. Honkanen's office. His nurse told me "just keep doing what you are doing, that sounds good and he needs to come back to the office later on". REALLY??? So after they billed my insurance company over $800 for bloodwork and an MD visit this is the service we get. So our general practitioner puts him on a new drug that works and we call for Dr. Honkanen's office to fill out some paperwork saying that the drugs she gave him caused side effects, so that the insurance would pay for the new medication. I was told that my husband cancelled his appointment...the nurse got snappy and rude. I let them know how I felt about how this office is being run. This is pitiful!!!

September 20th, 2012

Mary is great -

I had surprise quadruple by-pass surgery in 2002. My previous doctors had prescribed statins but my cholesteral numbers were still way too high for many years. After my surgery I was referred to Mary. She is the best lipidologist in the area, and has had my cholesteral and other bloodwork in "perfect" numbers since 2002. I strongly recommend her.

August 24th, 2012

math problem

She treated me like a math problem that could only be solved by adding one to two medicines on each visit. The medicines were expensive even with the discount cards she gave. My numbers were never good enough for her.

February 17th, 2011

She spent enough time to help us understand what a complicated Lipid problem was all about. The treatment plan and diet were explained the day of the initial visit.

February 11th, 2011

Dr. Honkanen recognized a problem that was missed by my other physicians for years. She really cared about me!1

November 18th, 2010

Takes time to listen!

October 28th, 2010

This doctor is impressed with herself and her education.

In my opinion, Dr. Honkanen should be in a research setting and not dealing with human beings.When told about my adverse reaction to a medication, she promptly informed me it was "all in my head" and became hostile. She said she was going to write in my file that I was refusing treatment so she wouldn't be sued when I died. I was only refusing to take something that I had had a debilitating reaction to.After I insisted I wasn't "refusing treatment", only looking for an alternative med that I could tolerate she backed off - a little, but qualified that by saying the only medication that would be effective is the one I don't tolerate.Her personality is abrasive, obnoxious, condescending and downright rude. She's not interested in any opinion or conversation that she didn't initiate. Her forte is preaching at you and quoting statistics from complicated studies.I wouldn't recommend her to my worst enemy!

June 7th, 2017