Dr. Mary Jo Montanarella MD Patient Reviews

• Obstetrics and Gynecology Manchester, NH

December 27th, 2016
What are you going to see her for? You Might be stunned.
Needed an ablation procedure and thought I was in good hands, with someone who was giving me the best advice. Was told it was a quick and minimally painful procedure that could most easily be done in the office with local anesthetic. . Sounded much better than I expected, thinking I'd need a one-day surgical center sort of thing, so I happily agreed. The procedure was NOT quick, nor easy. Though I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, I can say that this was the most painful thing I've had done...about 15 minutes of cauterizing (burning) the lining of the uterus with only a local shot to the cervix. No pain control other than a pre-surgery pain pill and nurses standing on either side of me telling me to squeeze their hands to help calm me. I then had horrible post- procedure stomach pain and fever, leading me back to the office for IV fluids and on to a CT scan to be sure she hadn't perforated the uterus. Luckily, that was not the case, but I had contracted an infection, probably because it should have been done in a sterile setting. I had the impression it was minimally invasive, or I'd never had agreed to have it done in the office- in an ordinary clinic room, not any sort of special procedure room! If they knew it was going to be like this, why on earth was this done at the office??? BECAUSE she had lost her privileges at the hospital! This was something I found out long after the fact by a third party and I was completely shocked, feeling a bit duped. Could have turned out much worse and I felt lucky to be done with it. Fast forward a year and I was having new issues with bleeding. Now have found out I have severe scarring from the procedure, leading to new problems. Just amazed at how unprofessional the whole situation has been and most definitely found a new doctor a long time ago. Beware. Dr. M seems very kind and knowledgeable, but in the end I feel I was manipulated.

January 7th, 2016
Fabulous physician! And a definitely cares about her patients!

July 6th, 2015
Google it
Um by all means, google it as the review below says but it's not the way this angry person is making it sound. No one was 'forced' into anything, the article is really clear that the operation was done with consent of both parents AND the child's pediatrician. Not really that big a deal actually, if you don't like the doctor that's fine but don't spread lies out of bitterness that you didn't read the paper work they gave you on your first visit that clearly said you would have a canclation fee if cancled in less than 24 hours notice

January 22nd, 2015
Very compassionate and caring doctor who wants to see her patient's be healthy.

December 11th, 2014
I am absolutely disgusted with this practice. I was forced to schedule a dating ultrasound. At 7 weeks I was told I was going to have an abdominal ultrasound. I spoke with a different practice and they said that 7 week abdominal ultrasounds aren't able to see anything. I told them in advance I didn't want a transvaginal, as my friend had a miscarriage the day after hers. I called to cancel the appointment, in fear that I would have to pay out of pocket for two ultrasounds instead of one. They responded with a $75 cancelation fee. I was on the phone with billing for over 45 minutes discussing the cost of the ultrasound. Never ONCE was I told about a cancelation fee. I asked to speak with doctor montanerellla, who was, surprise! Gone until the 18th. Upon further research, not only did I find reviews pegging this place as unprofessional, ill informed and a scam, but also a lawsuit! This practice illegally forced a 12 year old autistic girl into a hysterectomy without court orders. Google it! Their so called "midwives" are just uneducated OBs and know nothing about having a natural labor or pregnancy. The office staff is rude beyond belief. Do yourself and your child a favor, and find a REAL care provider. This place is absolutely awful. Stay far away!

March 27th, 2014
She gave me back hope
After going to other OBGYNs for infertility and not having a wonderful, caring experience, I was suggested to try Dr. Montanarella. For the first moment she made me feel like my loss was in fact important, my feelings were recognized, and there was HOPE where hopes had been dashed before. For the first time in two years of trying to conceieve I left an appointment with joy. She has been incredibly proactive in my treatment. I have gotten further in my infertility testing and treatment than I did in two years with another group of doctors. She is incredibly knowledgeable and insightful. She is professional in every way. I have NEVER been happier with a doctor. Truly. And, I have had many medical problems and needed much doctor's care. This is the first time I have gone out of my way to review a doctor, only because I want other women to have the service and treatment I finally found with Dr. Montanarella. She is a true blessing in my life.

November 13th, 2013
Satisfied patient of 20 years
When I read these reviews below, I have to disagree because Dr Montanarella has been nothing but professional and empathetic for the entire 20 years I have been her patient. Her office staff is friendly and accommodating. I honestly believe that some of these comments below were written to taint her reputation. Anyone that has been a patient of Dr Montanarella's knows that she is the best OB GYN in the area.

October 1st, 2013
A$$embly line care
Although Dr Montanarella seems to be a very nice person, her practice feels like it's set up as an assembly line to rake in as much cash as possible . You get the feeling that you'd better not take any extra time thinking about questions to ask at the last few minutes of your appointment because it will be holding up the Dr. from the next woman in line. The phone # doesn't appear on the bills, which is not the end of the world, but indicates to me that a conscious effort was put into avoiding time consuming phone questions, once they occur to you. Forget about getting an opportunity to express a follow up concern by phone with the doctor if you don't have an appointment. Also, if you are having trouble paying a monthly amount and you need to have it reduced, the billing department says that you have to write in a letter to the doctor herself why you can't afford it at the rate you had previously agreed to, begging on bended knee for some mercy to accept your smaller monthly installments. How does she personally determine what your financial status is? I think they can be a little less aggressive when what takes them 15 minutes to perform costs $300.+. That's my weekly paycheck (sometimes not even) Where is the balance? Make your cash Dr. M but give us a good quality experience for all that profit.

September 6th, 2013
Highly Recommended
I recently became engaged to be married, and since I’m thinking about starting a family in the next few years, I thought I should get established with a good and reliable OBGYN. I would like to share with you why I highly recommend Dr. Montanarella. When I called Dr. Montanarella’s office to schedule an appointment, I was greeted on the phone by a very friendly and professional person who helped me schedule the appointment. I was able to set a date and time that accommodated my schedule without having to wait several months. A few days later, I was pleased to receive an application in the mail which I was to fill out and bring with me to my appointment. On the day of my appointment, I was very anxious and nervous, but once I walked into Dr. Montanarella’s office, I was greeted by a very friendly, personable and helpful receptionist. I also found the waiting room very warm, charming, clean, roomy, and very comfortable. I was a few minutes early and waited only about 10 minutes which gave me time to glance over their assorted informative brochures and magazines. Dr. Montanarella was very pleasant, professional, and articulate. She was also very sweet, gentle, caring, knowledgeable and down to earth, and since this was my first appointment with her, this was very important to me because being young, I was very nervous. Dr. Montanarella took the time to get to know me and listened attentively when I asked her questions. I never felt rushed or uncomfortable and every question was answered thoroughly and effectively. I also found the office staff to be very friendly, professional, and accommodating. I’m so happy to have chosen Dr. Montanarella for my OBGYN, and I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking a new OBGYN.

June 28th, 2013
Not worth your time!
This review is for the entire office, not just Dr. Montanarella herself. I had only met her once, she rushed through my entire visit, rambled off information at a pace that was so fast I could barely understand what she had said. The women who work in the front have no clue what they are doing, misinform you about upcoming appointments, the info given is wrong which ends up costing you money due to having to reschedule! They are rude and seem to only look for ways to stress you out! As being and OB patient, stress is not what you need/want! Dr. Duhaime was the only one there worth seeing, and now he has moved on to the Dartmouth Hitchcock Center in Concord, even though if you google him he is still unfortunately linked to this horrible office! Virginia Chapman is the most useless person in this office, if you ask a question her answer is always "uhhh, ummm, well I dunno, you could probably try this, or ummm... maybe you could do that." I don't even know how she is allowed to work at a doctors office! She has no clue what she is doing, and is as useful as an empty gas tank! I am so glad to be out of that office and under the care of Doctors who actually know what they are doing, and don't try charging you for all of their mistakes! My suggestion, stay away from this place!!!! If you want a great OB, go for Dr. Duhaime!!

June 14th, 2013
You're a number, you're a patient, you're not a person
Not for me - at 8 months pregnant they had threaten to discharge me twice. Once because I wanted an alternative to a test and 2nd because we were charged for a sonogram and couldn't afford it right away. One day when I called to get results for my blood work and I was transferred to billing without being informed and was not given the results, they held my health hostage and I had to plead to find out. It was awful. I understand they needed to be paid, but at the expense of what? My sanity as an expectant mother? It was a matter of budgeting, we were going to be paying a $3000+ bill to the Elliott very soon, these people aren't cheap & insurance is not what it used to be. The bottom line is I was not treated very nicely. The one doctor who I felt listened and was not rushed with me was Dr. Duhame and he left. I never saw Dr. Montaneralla but twice and the first time she confused my weight and blood pressure and was very abrupt. I would ask to know how my baby's body was placed and they never told me. NO ONE would discuss my birth plan with me even up to 36 weeks. Told me it was "too soon". So what? Talk to me. I've been to my new midwife twice and they told me first visit where my baby's body was and guided my hand up and down without me asking, it was wonderful. They give me ample time to ask questions and listen. I am a participant there, not just a "patient". Oh and when I left, they waited a whole week after my new midwifery requested my documents to call me twice to hound me for $15.00 for my OWN MEDICAL RECORDS. EXACTLY why I left.

December 2nd, 2012
Great Doctor
Could not have asked for a better Doctor & staff, she went above & beyond what was expected of her. Very careing and compashonate person, I enjoyed my visits with her.