Obstetricians & Gynecologists, Radiologist

203 Hospital Dr
Raton, NM 87740
575-445-7865
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

Jan 23rd, 2012

Sad to find out she retired. I felt so comfortable with her. She delivered both of my children and I trusted fully her with both of my high risk pregnancies. Not looking forward to finding another OB/GYN to fill her shoes. Office was very nice and staff was great. Will miss her greatly.

|  Going to Miss her  |  show details
Jan 2nd, 2012

Dr. Van Sickle, is a great Dr, I was so sad to know that she was retiring, and i'm going to miss having her with baby #2. I was very afraid of the whole birthing process and was opting for a scheduled c-section, but Dr Van Sickle convinced me that it would be a smooth ride and it was! My labor lasted only 3 hours and I am thankful to her for being so wise and patient with me! God Bless her! -Merchant

Aug 8th, 2011

I have a long standing history with this doctor. She may seem standoffish to some but hang in there. I suffered severe pain for years and she was the only one to diagnose and effectively treat my problem. I absolutely love her and am extremely glad to have her by my side!

|  Wonderful Doctor  |  show details
Jun 24th, 2011

I am surprised while reading all those negative comments about Dr. Van Sickle.I have seen a LOT of gynecologists and she is one of the best. I am glad I found her and I will keep going to her as long as she practices. The first visit I had with her, I waited approximately 2 hours. I was kind of irritated by that, but after I've met her I understood why. Dr. Van Sickle took time to listen to me and to answer all my questions. She is very soft spoken, very nice and very agreable to talk to. She explained to me what I needed to know and gave me advices. She has always been like that,each time I went and saw her. She does not feel restricted by time and I love that. I would rather wait a whole day if I had to to be able to see a doctor like her, compassionate and caring, than going to one that runs her/his ofice like a business and doesn't spend enough time with the patient.I cannot even picture Dr Van Sickle being rude or condescending to anybody.I have the utmost respect for her and I would recommend her to anybody.

|  Holly  |  show details
May 18th, 2011

I truly cannot say enough great stuff about Dr. Mary. She's been my doctor for 20 years. She has always taken interest in my life and my concerns about my health, and she delivered my son 4 yrs ago. My mother has seen her for over 20 years as well...along with dozens of friends we have sent her way. We respect her business-like manner and trust her with our health - well, our lives. We love her as a doctor and appreciate her kindness and care over the years and will continue to see her while she is in practice.

|  Exceptional  |  show details
Apr 19th, 2011

I can not believe the horrible comments that have been left. I have been a patient of Dr. Van Sickle for over 14 years. She is absolutely "the best". She is very caring and knowledgeable. She had delivered both of my kids and I had very difficult pregnancies. She has been exceptional. Her staff is very nice and polite. I can not imagine gojng to any other OB/GYN!

Apr 12th, 2011

This was the worst Visit I have ever experienced. I was a new patience and new to the area. I requested direction from the secretary how to get to the location. The secretary (Jackie) was vague with the response. Dr. Van Sickle was not compassionated that I drove around to long to find location and correct parking. Dr. Van sickle told me she would give me a few minutes to get myself together. Less then a second. SHE TOLD ME TO GET MY THINGS AND GET OUT OF HER OFFICE! Oh yea she did validate my parking ticket after being so MEAN!!!!!! What the Heck is Medical Profession becoming?

|  Worst experience ever!!!  |  show details
Mar 17th, 2011

I went to see Van Sickle (she doesn't deserve the title Dr,) with high hope's, she was highly recommended to me by 3 people, I prayed she would be the finally help me. To my Horror she was my worst NIGHTMARE.After having waited for over 2 1/2 hours for my appointment, along with another lady that had been waiting 3 hours, she one of the rudest people I have ever spoken with and was completely unapologetic about having her staff lie to everyone in the waiting room about the wait. "Just 5 more minutes." was repeated like a recording.I have hypoglycemia and had insanely low blood sugar, which makes it impossible for me to be in a good mood and I can not control my emotions. When she sat with me to have the consultation I was told it was my job to ask for crackers and soda if I needed them. I was also told that she ONLY WANTED POSITIVE PEOPLE in her practice, and she didn't have time for negative people. I told her if she wanted positive people she should be honest with them about wait times, because the rest of us have things to do and should be given the choice of waiting for hours on end. She snapped at me "Babies come when Babies want to." I see from other reviews this "I was busy with someone else" is her excuse da jour.When we went in for the exam, I had started to cry because her attitude was more than I could bear.During the exam she hurt me very badly, I didn't jump or jerk, but I did say "OW," to let her know to stop. She jumped up and screamed "Your only here to try to SUE me, your trying to trick me."I told her she hurt me...BAD. When I looked at the sample jar it was red with blood, so she KNEW she hurt me. Never in my life has a pap smear swab ever been blood red unless I was on my cycle, even then it's only been pink. I told I was there for help, not to trick someone into something so I could sue them. She stormed out of the room.I bled for 5 days from whatever she did to me during the exam.I told the office staff they need to stop lying to patients, and left.Don't go. Horrible, she must of bought her Best Doctor in Houston award because I can't imagine her actually earning it.

|  My Dr. since college - now 20 yrs!  |  show details
Feb 8th, 2011

It is hard to put into words how much respect I have for Dr. Mary VanSickle. I have gone to her since I had a medical issue in college and even when I was job searching to start my career with no insurance I just paid out of pocket to keep going to her. She is extremely intelligent and stay on top of the latest studies and findings in the OB-GYN world. She is very well respected in the field. She is caring, but VERY soft spoken. Some people may think rude, but truly she just isn't overly talkative. However, she will always offer to give you all of the information available in order for you to make an informed decision in any situation. She was always honest and encouraging throughout my pregnancy 3 yrs ago. She is very upfront and wants to ensure her patients understand what is happening to their body and what options are when there is trouble. My husband respects her a great deal for the way she dealt with my pregnancy and delivery as I was a 36 yr old first time mom. I have recommended Dr. Van Sickle to everyone who tells me they are looking for a new OB-GYN. My mother and at least 3 of my friends go to her, and my mother has even more friends who she recommended and have seen her for years as well. I don't know what I will do on down the line whenever she decides to retire. It would be hard to select anyone as a rival to her and her experience and care. Yes, I have waited as long as an hour and a half, but only one time in 20 years. Other times it's 20 minutes most of the time, maybe up to 45 but the staff is so caring and once I am in the office I feel ultimately cared for.

|  Fed up!  |  show details
Jan 24th, 2011

After years of being double booked for appointments made in advance, waiting ~ 45 minutes after being there early for my appointments, getting knocked off my scheduled appointments - I have had enough. I feel like a number in that office, not a patient.The office staff is very nice and patient - though they seem to have rehearsed their lines.

Jan 18th, 2011

Reading the reviews, I can understand how some people might be turned off by what may seem like a bad bedside manner. However, I think Dr. Van Sickle is a very caring physician for her patients, just not a "touchy-feely" emotional kind of caring. I have been seeing her for about 10 years and recently had my first child and would not have wanted any another physician in charge of the delivery of my son...period.

Jan 13th, 2011

dr van sickle may be very knowledgeable but has no clue how to communicate with her patients...she very rude.. her communication skills are very poor.. horrible beside manner.. would i recommend her, no ...

|  Dr with the worst bedside manner  |  show details
Sep 15th, 2010

This dr was so judgmental as if her life were perfect. She not only belittled me and my life, but insinuated that my cousin (who is a real physician) was giving me medications. If that was the case, I would not have come to see her! Anyways, this woman is not one I would EVER recommend to anyone. After going there for my first and only appointment, I chose another dr who has a wonderful bedside manner and cares for her patients, unlike van sickle. She is the worst dr i have ever been to.

|  Very Good Doctor  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2010

While I agree that sometimes the wait can be a bit nerve-wracking, it is generally because she is taking time with another patient. I would rather have that than to have a doctor who rushes from patient to patient without caring about their concerns. As a doctor, she is bar-none. She is extremely intelligent and makes it a point to stay on top of the latest studies abd findings in the OB-GYN world. She is caring, but she makes sure to give you all of the information available in order for you to make an informed decision. She is honest about whatever might be going on while not being flip, cold or condescending. Maybe some people are turned off by her upfront manner, but I would rather understand what is happening to my body and what my options are than have someone hold my hand and tell me everything is fine when it's not. I would (and have) recommended Dr. Van Sickle to any and everyone who tells me they are looking for a new OB-GYN.

|  My baby head never turn around.  |  show details
Jul 1st, 2010

I chose her as I know she had a lot of experience but never feel very warm from her. My induce labor turn out to be emergency C-section. After one hour of the process of induce labor, water broke, the doctor reached the uterus felt the feet, not the head. So she ordered ultrasound and confirm that the baby head was not turned around.Very disappointed as I had a doctor visit the day before the schedule induce labor (My baby was 2 weeks past the due day). the last check out after the baby was born, she did not bother to check the cut until I asked.

|  Terrible Bedside Manner, Condescending, Rude  |  show details
Mar 26th, 2010

Dr. Van Sickle has a very bad bedside manner, is condescending when you ask questions and yells at you for not knowing, and is very rude and yells at her employees in front of the patientfor very minor infractions.I will never go back to her.

|  Mixed emotions  |  show details
by J on Mar 11th, 2010

I think Dr Van Sickle is very experienced and knowledgable... and I would consider going back. However, my first appt while I was pregnant I was there almost 3 hours! At one point, I thought they'd forgotten I was waiting for an ultrasound in a robe in the back room. She apologized and said a patient from out of town had a million questions. Throughout my pregancy she would answer questions in a way that made me feel stupid for asking. She's not rude, she's just almost condescending with her tone. When I asked her for an ultrasound to doublecheck everything was still good in the 9th month, she said it wasn't necessary. At delivery she was surprised my son had been breech the whole last 4-6 wks she'd been saying he was in perfect position. Doing an ultrasound would've caught that!

|  Listening ear, caring heart and hands!  |  show details
Jul 7th, 2009

I've been going to Dr. Mary for over 16 years. She has been like a second mom to me comforting me through tough pregnancies (and remining me not to believe everything you hear on the news). She is a very intelligent woman who has given so much to her profession. I am truly thankful for her and all the wisdom and caring she has for me and all her patience. I am truly thankful that God guided me to her office because I believe that if I'd had any other doctor my kids may not be here today.