Psychiatrist, Pediatric / Adolescent Psychiatrist

1.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Jul 11th, 2016

If I could give him zero stars, I would. He's a horrible doctor, who does his work by terrifying and lording his power over his patients and colleagues. I was a patient under his care at Shands Vista, and not only did I leave there worse than I came, I also left showing signs of early Serotonin Syndrome, which was only picked up on because my parents know the signs. The entire time I was under his care I was terrified, nervous, and burst into tears whenever I saw him. I still get anxious and scared whenever I see someone who looks like him, and it's been two years. Please, don't take your children or yourself to this man.

Nov 30th, 2015

i went into Shands Vista fir an Eating Disorder, major depressive disorder, social and general anxiety disorder, insomnia, and body dysmorphic disorder. I slept on the floor the first week i was there to be on "eye contact" so i wasn't harming myself/doing destructive behaviors. every time i stood up in the morning, i would pass out and they always blamed my ED, not me going from a shallow sleep and being pulled up my arm to have my vitals taken. i was shamed for having a mental illness. when i saw the doctors each morning, i was belittled, shamed, and talked down to. i was required to write my own suicide note, a paper on why i wanted an ED/depression/anxiety, why i liked being a victim, why i was a bad person, why i liked making people worry, and more. during my six week stay, i was told i wasn't allowed to get dressed until i drank Gatorade or until a nurse was available to watch me get dressed. the techs/nurses were constantly bickering and complaining. In six weeks, i had to appointments with a therapist; one on my second day and one on my last day. we could never go outside, i wasn't allowed to talk to anyone, and everyone was intimidated by the staff - everyone cried because of them, no matter their age. They ruled through intimidation. it was a prison. I was nearly assaulted by other patients several times and they did nothing. a girl came out of her room naked and sat on me once. they did nothing. they left severe OCD undiagnosed and exacerbated undiagnosed PTSD. i wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy. DO NOT COME HERE. you will come out worse than you entered.

Very sick man show details Very sick man
by Jamal on Nov 24th, 2015

He's insane sick violent dangerous. Keep away from him. Should not have a med license

Never show details Never
Aug 10th, 2015

He is horrible and is a vile person that deserves nothing.

Aug 10th, 2015

Completly a terrible human being who needs some serious help himself before he should ever be allowed to talk to anyone with problems of the field he works in.

Aug 10th, 2015

Absolutely the most abusive doctor I have ever been to. Made me write suicide letters and told me that he hoped my parents died so I had to live with the guilt of having them die hating me

May 7th, 2015

Abusive and unprofessional.

The hard truth show details The hard truth
by Brandon on Jan 21st, 2015

Dr. Nguyen was very rude and curt. He made us all as patients feel impersonable and like we all were lab rats. He might have been smart but he was just quick to assume most of his patients were bi-polar and didn't take time a passion to consider our stories or that some like myself were coming off of a post-trauma accident associated with a prescription narcotic addiction. All I needed was detox, prayer and guidance... Not a quick prescription of risperadol supplemented with beta blocking meds that turned me into a thoughtless zombie.

Do not go to this horrid unprofessional show details Do not go to this horrid unprofessional
Jan 17th, 2015

Absolutely horrible. Abuse of power and crude behavior. Revoke license

bootyhole show details bootyhole
Dec 5th, 2014

THIS "DR" IS REPULSIVE WITH HIS STANK BREATH, HIS STRATEGY TO HELPING AN INDIVIDUAL IS HORRENDOUS. HE WOULD YELL AT ME FOR CRYING AND HE THINKS BE INSULTING VULNERABLE TEENS AND MAKING THEM FEEL LIKE THEY DONT BELONG WILL SAVE THEM FROM THE THOUGHTS OF SUICIDE. HE MADE ME WRITE AN ESSAY ABOUT ME HATING MY MOM?!?! IM DONE. YOU GET THE POINT.

Nov 19th, 2014

I HATE DR. NGUYEN! He is certifiable. He told me that I deserve to die, and that I am a pathetic imbecile. He told me I was stupid, and that I don't deserve to have anyone love me. His little shoes are so annoying and his voice ugh. I am so glad that I am FINALLY OUT OF VISTA!! Take your kids to another hospital. He is crazy!!

Oct 21st, 2014

He's pretty terrible. I was admitted to the eating disorder unit at Vista and he tormented me the entire time I was there. He told me I deserved to die, that I would never see my parents again, and that I was a pathetic little brat who was just making up my anorexia for attention. I was dying, but he cared more about whether or not I addressed him as "sir" and how loudly I spoke. He criticized me for everything from my clothes to my personality, and made me very suicidial. I have been diagnosed with PTSD and still struggle with processing my experience with Dr. Nguyen. In addition, he was very aggressive with the other patients. I will never forget him yelling at a girl for saying she was r a p e d. He told her that because it was not intercourse, so she was not r a p e d, and she was ridiculous for making up a lie. How dare he tell a r a p e victim that her experience was illegitimate! I was so angry. We weren't allowed to cry, or else we would be separated from the rest of the kids and had to sit in the corner all day. He made us write essays each day, on really horrible topics. I had to write one about "why my parents should hate me," "why I chose to get anorexia," and "reasons I am pathetic." I spent the worst month of my life on his unit, and left even sicker and with even more "eating disorder tricks" than I came in with. There are better units in the region/ country. Please save your children from this monstrosity of a doctor.

I hate you Nguyen show details I hate you Nguyen
Jul 15th, 2014

Mathew Nguyen made me stay there for more than a month everyday I was last on the list to see him not only is he abusive said things like you'll never see your family again but then he makes you write papers on how he's right about everything terrible he says about you one of the days I was there I had to write six pages on one subject about how I'm terrible and worthless do not send your child to shands vista this doctor is a disgusting worthless piece of trash that goes as low as to tell at ten year old suicidel girls

The Guy is Hard to Forget show details The Guy is Hard to Forget
by Former Inpatient on Mar 24th, 2014

I was admitted to Vista under the Baker Act after a failed suicide attempt. My experience with Nguyen still remains a sensitive subject to me, and I still have issues about it. He would get in our faces with one of the cruelest looks I've been given, he would degrade me and make me feel like I was a worthless, unintelligent individual. I also hated that he made me write about how I had hurt my mom, then he would make me read it in front of everyone else that sat in for his berating. I was crying so terribly while reading about what I had done to my mom I doubt they could even understand what I was saying. All in all, this man should not be dealing with seriously suicidal and mentally ill adolescents. He made me feel like such a terrible person, I left there in worse condition. He seems to think that we were all just manipulative children that were trying to get attention or something else out of the situation. I don't know how this man keeps his place there in Vista. I literally have not heard anything good about him from anyone. Even my psychiatrist suggested to send in a complaint letter, which of course came with no results. I feel bad for those who are underage and are suffering to the point that they end up in Vista, and for their sake I hope Nguyen will get one too many complaints, so he can't hurt adolescents and children anymore.

Awful and traumatizing show details Awful and traumatizing
by Another former patient on Jun 27th, 2013

I have never been treated so badly in my entire life by an adult. He is emotional abusive and hurtful. This man does this every day for a living. I did not get any better in my condition until I switched facilities. My current therapist and I still work on coping and managing stress and wounds from this experience, on top of my other issues. This man needs to be fired, I cannot believe other staff and Shands Vista as a hospital allow him treat children like this. Several of his patients end up right back there anywhere from two weeks to a year. Please do not see this doctor. You'll thank me later.

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Save Your Anxiety And Don't See This Guy show details Save Your Anxiety And Don't See This Guy
Mar 31st, 2013

I went there for multiple problems and every meeting with him I cried because of how mean he was to me. Yelled at me, said mean things, made my depression and anxiety worse. Very traumatic for me.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
DO NOT SEE THIS GUY show details DO NOT SEE THIS GUY
Feb 15th, 2012

After being seen by him at shands vista inpatient program my bipolar disorder (which he diagnosed as MDD and gave me thr wrong medicine for)went down hill. I left that place with post traumatic stress disorder mainly because of his cruelty. I was terrified of him and was not able to be open because of how threatning he was. A complaint has been filed about him by my physciatrist because of how much more depressed I became and also because she said that every other person who had come back from there said how terrible he was as well. I strongly reccomend you have nothing to do with this doctor.

Awful experience show details Awful experience
Nov 23rd, 2011

Rude doctor. He is not a board certified psychiatrist. Make awful comments that are inappropriate to the patient. Terrible that is all I can say.