Dr. Matthew Smith Is this you?

2.1

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Matthew Smith?

Toxic Experience

Posted on July 4th, 2017

Dr. Smith said things that contradicted himself and scared me into not leaving him by saying he was my only hope of getting off disability, having a normal life, having a relationship and getting my cognition back so I could play my music again. There were so many instances of seemingly dishonest statements from him I don't even know where to start. I came in one day saying that I found the emotional blunting from the antidepressants distressing, that I'm unable to cry anymore and he responded by saying if I can't cry its something I'm inherently unable to do and that it has nothing to do with the medication. Then he proceeded to chastise me in the midst of me being practically catatonically depressed , saying " do you know the mechanism behind how the tear ducts produce tears....I do! I do!" I guess he can't comprehend the distinction between physiologically being able to produce tears vs having the ability to feel emotions enough to evoke them. But that's a different issue. Our next meeting he wanted to put me on a mood stabilizer along with the antidepressant. When I brought up my distress about not feeling my emotions with the antidepressant he said the mood stabilizer would prevent that from happening. I asked how and he answered "I don't know. It just does" .But in the previous session he denied that antidepressants cause emotional blunting to begin with. How can mood stabilizers prevent something that he claims doesn't happen to begin with? He obviously just said that to try to ensure I stay on a mood stabilizer. Totally unethical and confusing behavior. He decided very early on that I had bipolar disorder. Every symptom I had or experience with medication he would say was because of the bipolar. For example, when I told him that I had a very adverse reaction to Wellbutrin but not the other antidepressants he said that's a sign of bipolar, stating that people with bipolar are especially destabilized by Wellbutrin. But according to all the literature and from other doctors Wellbutrin is the LEAST likely of the antidepressants to destabilize bipolar patients and it's a first line treatment. He said that, among countless other things simply to ensure I create my own conviction that I have bipolar so as to make his job easier. I came to see Dr. Smith in an effort to gain clarity. Part of a psychiatrists job is to help their patients see things more clearly. By lying to me like that, and to do it in such a pathetically transparent way , just served to amplify my already confused state of mind. I'm still confused by my experience with him. He created a toxic situation when I was already so sick and I'm still recovering from the confusion he put forth. I don't know how he has sustained a private practice for so long and been so transparently dishonest.

Posted on July 9th, 2016

Feels vindicated in knowing he can cure me but not relaying that information because we got into and argument and unprofessionally said to me "get out of my office"

Posted on July 9th, 2016

Unethical

Posted on May 8th, 2016

Liar who can't keep up with his own lies. Our sessions consisted of me trying to weed through things to find the truth so I could make an informed decision about what I should do. He in essence tried to take away my free will of being able to weigh the pros and con of each treatment because I guess he thought it's a lot easier to just give me what he wants by any means necessary. Instead of forcing it down my throat physically he tried, unsuccessfully, to do it in a far more subversive and insidious way. Nightmare clinician.

Posted on March 24th, 2016

Holding back information that could save my life out of spite because I got a second opinion. Feels totally justified in destroying my life

Low level psychiatrist

Posted on February 28th, 2016

Speeds through the session. Doesn't take a thorough history . Defensive. Neurotic. Low level.

Not a good experience

Posted on May 20th, 2015

I found that Dr. Smith, although highly recommended, misdiagnosed me, misrepresented what he was treating me for, ignored my complaints about medication side effects , and did not appropriately respect my views and opinions about the treatment. He was subtly imperious, defensive, and blamed me for the treatment not working out well, which I found highly inappropriate.

over-medicates

Posted on April 29th, 2015

This Dr. completely ruined my life. He treated everything with his prescription pad. It honestly felt like didn't truly care what happened to me, that he just wanted a cheque and wanted me 100% out of it. If I complained about anything he would write a new med for me to take and I was soon a walking zombie. It set my life plans, education, and financials back YEARS. Please, please, I implore you to seek help elsewhere. I will never forgive this man for what he has done. It's been years and I'm still picking up the pieces of my life. I never sought treatment again after this for fear of re-living the experience.

Posted on January 13th, 2015

Excellent doctor. Came to the right diagnosis after being misdiagnosed for years. I owe my life to doctor smith.

Dishonest Overmedicator

Posted on August 16th, 2013

This doctor feels the need to lie his way into getting you to do what he wants medicinally . On top of that he over medicates and doesn't follow through after the appointment . He is used to dealing with older uneducated patients who don't know how to look up what he says to see what the truth is. When I did I found out it was all lies, telling me he was giving me the lowest dose of a medication when it wasn't etc. When I called him on it he started having a temper tantrum like a child. "I went to medical school not you"

AVOID THIS DOCTOR!!!

Posted on January 20th, 2012

I don't care what credentials he has. He is a lousy, unethical, liar. First, he over medicates you. Second, he rarely returns phone calls even when it's an emergency!! -I should know I've been a patient for over 10 years. I've had enough!! He sucks, plain and simple.

Saved my life

Posted on November 24th, 2010

I've been seeing Dr. Smith for 3 years. I went there with a very rare nerve condition which caused me not to be able to sit, have intercourse or urinate without wanting to pass out. I wanted to die. He was able to figure out the right course of action medicinally and I am now able to function. He always made me feel hopeful, and that if one thing doesn't work, there is always something else to try.