Dr. Matthew Dawson, MD
Surgical Specialist

Video profile

Jul 20th, 2016

Dr. Dawson is an excellent surgeon. In addition, he has an excellent bedside manner

Stop looking. You've found your surgeon. show details Stop looking. You've found your surgeon.
by Carl on Jul 13th, 2016

Dr. Dawson is both a great surgeon and a great caregiver.

Wonderful surgeon show details Wonderful surgeon
by Eric PITIRIGAS on Jun 29th, 2016

The best

by Aaron Bludorn on Jun 6th, 2016

Extremely talented, caring Surgeon with and incredible positive and helpful staff

May 16th, 2016

A wonderful doctor with an incredible bedside manner. I highly recommend him

Recommend without reservation show details Recommend without reservation
May 12th, 2016

I had a very complicated case and Dr. Dawson was amazing from beginning to end. He is a very talented and patient surgeon who is not afraid to take on difficult cases. My quality of life has improved thanks to Dr. Dawson.

by M.Kistenberg on May 5th, 2016

Knowledgeable , warm, sets u at ease regarding upcoming surgery!!!

Hernia Surgery Review show details Hernia Surgery Review
May 4th, 2016

Great experience with Dr Dawson. Accurate diagnosis and easy and professional operation. Would have liked a call from him personally that day to see how I was doing instead of his office calling me the next day but this would not stop me from highly recommending him or using him again.

by April on May 4th, 2016

I had my gallbladder removed by Dr. Dawson and I couldn't thank him enough? From the initial appointment until the day of surgery Dr. Dawson made me feel comfortable especially the day of surgery. I highly recommend him.

by Alice on May 4th, 2016

Doctor Dawson is one of the finest doctors I have ever encountered - and, I am very selective. He is extremely intelligent, a very knowledgeable doctor, perfect bedside manner, friendly, kind, dedicated, a good man, spends a lot of time with his patients, always listens to what his patients have to say, etc., etc., etc. I truly cannot say enough great things about him - and, there are absolutely no negatives. I have recommended him to innumerable people; further, I have heard "rave reviews" about him from both medical and non-medical people. A rare find.

Apr 22nd, 2016

Excellent and superior doctor in every respect.

Flawless Laparoscopic Appendicitis show details Flawless Laparoscopic Appendicitis
by Brian on Apr 13th, 2016

Very intelligent, talkative, explained everything, put you at ease, follow up was great, and the laparoscopic appendicitis was flawless.

Mar 4th, 2016

VERY GOOD EXPERIENCE, ATTENTIVE AND PROFESSIONAL. WONDERFUL FOLLOW UP.

by Neil M. on Mar 1st, 2016

Allowing for Dr. Dawson's surgical competency as a given, I found Dr. Dawson's warmth, patience, and caring to be exceptional. Information was conveyed clearly and concisely in non-technical terms. In each of our encounters, I felt I had Dr. Dawson's complete attention and that he was genuinely concerned with making my treatment and care as positive an experience as possible.

by Maureen wright on Feb 27th, 2016

respectful informative, professional and caring

A true Healer show details A true Healer
by Gilbert Beldengreen on Feb 18th, 2016

Dr Dawson repaired my umbilical hernia with great skill and a warm human touch. He treated me as if I were a friend and I will never forget it. The surgery went off without a hitch and I experienced no problems with recovery.

Umbilical Hernia Surgery show details Umbilical Hernia Surgery
by hernia2016 on Jan 20th, 2016

Dr. Dawson was excellent in every way. He diagnosed me properly, was professional, kind, and HUMAN! He also honored my every question (there were many) and re-explained the procedure to me various times. I recommend him wholeheartedly. I wish he didn't have such a specialty because I would love him to be my PCP!

5 Star Surgeon! I highly Recommend! show details 5 Star Surgeon! I highly Recommend!
Nov 12th, 2015

Dr. Dawson is an excellent Surgeon who highly knowledgeable with a excellent bedside manner. I felt like he really cared about me, his patient. I highly recommend him.

Great Experience! show details Great Experience!
by Melissa on Aug 5th, 2015

Dr. Dawson was extremely patient and helpful. He was able to diagnose me within minutes. I also had a great surgical experience. Little to no pain post surgery and no scarring at all. Overall very friendly and positive experience. Office staff was kind as well.

Jul 27th, 2015

I hope I never have to have surgery again, but if I do, I'd go back to Dr. Dawson in a minute! Very kind, great bedside manner, yet instills confidence. I actually have a rare condition that he was able to diagnose, but to ensure that I was getting the best care, he suggested further follow up with specialists.

Retired Secretary show details Retired Secretary
by Kallicharan, Stella A. on Jul 2nd, 2015

He is a conscientious doctor that follows up after surgery. He visits you every day to see how you are doing. I have had surgeries at other hospitals and he and a doctor of another hospital are the only doctors that come to see how you are doing on a daily basis.

Such a Great Experience show details Such a Great Experience
by Thomas W on Jun 29th, 2015

My first encounter with surgery was a triple laparoscopic hernia repair and one hernia was well advanced. I was out of the hospital an hour after surgery, had no pain or any complications from it and was completely back to normal lifestyle in 4 days. Can't be better!

Partial Gastrectomy to remove GIST show details Partial Gastrectomy to remove GIST
by Bill A on Jun 5th, 2015

Would definitely choose this doctor again if the need arose. Supremely capable and caring; takes time to explain procedures, results.

May 21st, 2015

Excellent in every aspect

by Paul Ellis on May 8th, 2015

Performed Gall Bladder surgery on me. He explained everything to me beforehand and made me feel very at ease. Surgery went very well and my recovery was very quick. I would feel very comfortable returning to him if I need surgery again.

Wonderful Doctor, Seamless Experience show details Wonderful Doctor, Seamless Experience
by Rebecca Jones on Apr 5th, 2015

I first met with Dr. Shane Dawson after my OBGYN suspected that I had a hernia. Dr. Shane Dawson did diagnose me with an inguinal hernia and proceeded to advise me regarding my options for the surgery to repair it. He also eventually did perform the surgery at Lenox Hill hospital. From beginning to end, Dr. Shane Dawson was honest, kind, efficient, and professional. Throughout what could have been a very unpleasant experience, he made me feel secure and at ease. It's now two months after the surgery and I feel great. The surgical process itself was seamless and the recovery was exactly as described. I highly recommend Dr. Shane Dawson and I thank him dearly with taking such good care of me!

by Lisa B. on Mar 11th, 2015

My entire experience with Dr. Dawson and the staff not only at the office, but at the surgery site was exceptionally and refreshingly pleasant. Dr. Dawson is kind, personable, and spoke to me clearly about the procedure in terms that I could understand and in a way that made me feel completely at ease. My total time spent in the office on my initial visit was less than 45 minutes, and most of that time I spent actually talking to Dr. Dawson. My time in the waiting area was short, and my surgery was scheduled within minutes after meeting with Dr. Dawson. Day of the surgery I was amazed at how friendly and efficient every single staff member was that I came into contact with. I never once felt rushed, but I also didn't spend any time waiting around for something else to happen. The entire staff operated like a well oiled machine. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Dawson. From my first appointment through my follow-up, every moment and interaction has been easy and very human.

Amazing Doctor, Highly Recommended show details Amazing Doctor, Highly Recommended
by Sarah K. on Feb 7th, 2015

Fantastic doctor, made me feel comfortable before and after surgery, takes time with patients, answers all questions, highly recommended!!!

by Kenneth Gordon on Jan 27th, 2015

Best doctor! Kind,Caring…unusual in his skill in presenting complicated medical situations in an informative and understandable way.Patient and caring. Will NOT do surgery unless it's necessary.

Saved My Life show details Saved My Life
Dec 27th, 2011

Had an appendectomy on Xmas. Not exactly how I would choose to spend it, but Dr. Dawson literally saved my life. Not only is he an excellent surgeon (I was up and walking around the SAME DAY), but he is a compassionate and caring human being. If you ever need a general surgeon, Dr. Dawson is the one to use.

Great! show details Great!
by MT on Dec 1st, 2009

Ive never had anything serious in my 52 years.Then my GP didn't do the right thing and was sent to Dr. Dawsonalthough he is out of network, yes I got a big bill it has all been the best experiance, and if you do go Kathy his asst. Is the best for the best. First time I brought a Dr a gift!!!

superb care show details superb care
Sep 16th, 2008

Dr. Dawson literally saved my life. I have never encountered a more compassionate physician--I have complete faith in him. Even though I know he is extraordinarily busy, I never felt rushed. He always took the time to listen. I can't thank him enough!