General Practitioners, Physiatrist (physical, rehabilitation), Pain Management Specialist

2126 Independence St
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703
573-986-4403
Locations and availability (4)

2.5

|  Bad Doctor  |  show details
Sep 9th, 2013

I have to strongly agree with what others have said about doctor Karshner. I was talked down to and man handled. He has no knowledge about any forms of arthritis. I suffer from a sever form of arthritis that attacks the joints aggressively. Karshner strained my joints so severely that after I left his office I was in sever pain. The next day my shoulder was hurting really bad and it slipped out of the joint (done this on several other occasions anytime that joint get stressed). I told the so called doc this and he would not listen and still continued to manipulate my joints without concern about what effect it was taking on me. Be careful letting this doctor touch you if you suffer with joint pain.

|  show details
by Tammy Hargis, MA, LPC on Mar 22nd, 2011

I am very pleased with my treatment with Dr. Karshner. He was very personable and has an excellent and friendly staff. I have had issues for several years and have had significant pain relief after seeing Dr. Karshner.

|  Very pleased patient.  |  show details
by Billie K. Hamlin on Aug 21st, 2010

Southeast Missouri Hospital of Cape Girardeau is very fortunate to have a Physiatrist on staff. Dr.Karshner is one of the few doctors who is knowledgeable about my condition of Dystonia. He and his staff have always been very professional and truthful with me. In the two years that I have been a patient I have never had a bad experience.

|  I'm pleased, yet sad to see, I'm not the only one  |  show details
by Tracy Seeger on Jul 12th, 2010

I met w/ Dr.Karshner of a referral pitch he solicited to my regular Dr, as a new and different way to deal w/ pain management. The 1st visit went basically as expected. He had some blood work ran. 1 month later, I saw him for the 2nd time. Never, did I ever even consider the idea that he would or could be as rude and thoughtless as he was. I believe the staff in and around the office was great, as well as the nurse. As for Dr.Karshner, he poses a threat to himself and other chronic pain patients. He was demeaning, careless in his choice of words and very pompus toward me and words he used to describe 'other' doctors I've seen over the years, going as far as to say, "He (a former Dr) has no idea what he's talking about, arthritis does not work that way". Tell that to my aunt that had just died of complications to Arthritis. On a professional scale, he is terrible. On a personal level, he is terrible. Almost 'daring', while under minding what how my current dr treats me. I managed to keep my smile on my face. I remained very polite to him, including a 'Thank You' at the end of my visit. As he said he would contact my regular Dr that day, he did not. As I left, I could not help but to wonder, "how long will it take before he upsets a patient to the point that patient harms him/herself based on his words and lack of respect?" My decision was made, never to return to him again. I have not. To top all the above, he also wanted to remove me from my daily maintenance medications, including Prozac and Lisinipril (blood pressure med) and HRT. He wanted to remove all of those and my PRN's and put me strictly on a massive dose of Vitamin D. When I told him of my reactions to 'massive doses' of Vitamin D, he again said "that's not possible". At that time, I asked him to contact my regular dr, as he has records of my reactions to such treatments. He did not do this either. All in all, I'm surprised Southeast Hospital of Cape Girardeau even allows him practicing rights. I've never been more disappointed and shocked at the behavior of a physician in my life!Sincerely, Tracy Seeger

|  show details
Jun 25th, 2010

I was seen on a grant from SEMO Hospital by Dr. Karshner. Had previous back surgery, diagnosed with RA and have chronic back and hip pain. Dr. Karshner never explained anything to me on my condition. He seemed caring at first, buy as my frustration grew, he seemed to not care at all. Never sent me for any testing, which was covered 100% by my grant through the hospital. Followed me out to my car, changed my prescriptions around, and acted in a non proffesional manner toward me on several occasions. I know have insurance based on special needs for my conditions, and was refused to be seen by another MD. because of something he wrote in his notes. I am going to file a formal complaint against him, in response to my experience with him. He wanted to medicate me, and send me on my way. Not give me ANY answers, or send me for further testing. Gave me a shot in my hip, and never even followed up. I am speaking out against him because everyone deserves to be treated with care and concern, especially when dealing with extreme chronic pain. I am a single mother with 3 children, and am still trying to get the help I need to try to function and have a semblance of my life back. My personal experience with Dr. Karshner was a bad one. I have now moved on, gotten the testing I needed and am getting answers. I will never understand my experience with this Dr. I do not recommend him to anyone, based on my experience. Thankyou.