Dr. Matthew Barrett, MD
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Hip replacement show details Hip replacement
by Peggy Bowman on Dec 12th, 2015

Hip replaced April 2013. Dr. Barrett is a excellent Doctor. He replaced my hip and it is doing as good as I could have ever expected. He had the best bed side maner. His staff was great in taking care of my every need. Last month I fell and fractured my pelvis and broke my elbow. Dr. Barrett saw me in the emergency room and came to me and said we will fix it tomorrow and he did it and it is healing very nicely. I could not have ask for any better care than I received from him and his staff.

Hip replacement show details Hip replacement
Dec 8th, 2015

My husband had a hip replacement last week. Dr. Barrett was wonderful! Very kind, courteous, respectful and had no problem taking his time to explain everything. The hospital staff at St. Thomas Rutherford were also just wonderful! Would definitely recommend.

Double Hip Replacement show details Double Hip Replacement
by Marti on Apr 29th, 2015

Have never had a Dr seem as concerned with me and my ailment as Dr Barrett. You can tell he is where he was meant to be.

Doctor's Response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time and effort. Yes, we agree Dr. Barrett has such superb bedside manner. We are fortunate to have him as a provider at TOA.

by Mary chick on Dec 2nd, 2014

My experience was great. Six of my friends have used Dr. Barrett after my knee replacements. He know what he is doing and the staff at the hospital work hand in hand with him to ensure you get the best therapy to ensure your surgery is a success.

Doctor's Response

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are thrilled that you had a great experience with Dr. Barrett, and agree that he is wonderful. We are so happy that so many of your friends are patients as well. We wish you a happy and safe 2015!

Fantastic Doctor show details Fantastic Doctor
by Dyanna M Puckett on Oct 7th, 2014

This Doctor has a great bedside manner, personality, and patient memory. He is professional and wonderful surgeon. I would and have recommended him to anyone with hip or knee problems.

Doctor's Response

Thank you for your kind review. We agree, Dr. Barrett has a superb bedside manner. We are fortunate to have him as a provider at TOA. It's reviews like yours that help us know that we are meeting our goal of providing great patient care. Thanks for sharing your experience with others. We appreciate your loyalty and business.

Patient show details Patient
by Agnes Jones on Sep 28th, 2014

Dr. Barrett is a wonderful Doctor and person, I went in pain and using wheel chair, came out no pain and could walk. The way he closed my incision was the best I have ever had and I have had several surgies.

Hip Replacement show details Hip Replacement
by Robert Reagor on Aug 6th, 2014

Would Highly Recommend

Ms show details Ms
by Jacqueline B Morgan on Jul 15th, 2014

Dr. Barrett is very courteous. He cares about his patients. He did my knee surgery 2 years. I have gotten along very well. The recovery was good by following his clear directions

by Ronald T. Clemmons on Jul 4th, 2014

The care I received from Dr. Barrett was outstanding. He replaced both of my knees, and I would trust him to repair any other joint. He is an excellent surgeon who knows what he doing. You cannot find better care.

Excellent experience show details Excellent experience
by Mari-Carmen Schneider on Apr 24th, 2014

I'm so grateful that Dr. Matthew O Barrett did a total knee replacement on both of my knees. One was done in 2010 and the other 2011 and I'm very satisfied with the outcome and my experience with Dr.Barrett. Got my quality of life back. I highly 100% recommend Dr.Barrett to anybody who lived with constant knee problems.

Mar 18th, 2014

Partrial knee replacement. I was very impressed with Dr. Barrett in all area of my treatment.

Hip Replacement show details Hip Replacement
by Michael Krauth on Mar 13th, 2014

Dr. Barrett replaced my right hip 4 years ago. He is a great Orthopedic Surgeon. He is very professional and truly knows his field of surgery. I have recommended him to others and one of them had follow-up surgery from Dr. Barrett.

Patient show details Patient
by Chet Sauls on Mar 11th, 2014

I had a full knee replacement a year ago. I was up and walking down the hall on the next day and had a 90 degree flexibility. At one year I have 140 degree flexibility and at 70 , the knee will probably outlive me. I had very little pain during my whole recovery. Dr. Barrett is very helpful to answer all your questions: before,during and after surgery. He never made me feel like I was pressured into having the surgery. He presented all my options and let me make my own decision. I always felt like I was part of all decisions about my knee and my surgery. The TOA staff is awesome from the check-in to check-out and if you call and leave a message, they will always return your call, 24/7. If you are having joint problems, don't wait until too late. I've had 5 surgeries at TOA and I am not longer living with the pain I have endured for years. I recommend Dr. Barrett to anyone.

Review of left knee replacement show details Review of left knee replacement
by Dianne L on Mar 6th, 2014

x I liked his easy going personality, his willingness to answer any questions and his professionalism. I would highly recommend him to my family and friends. If I need a replacement for my other knee, I would definitely choose him again..

Excellent Results From My Knee Replacement show details Excellent Results From My Knee Replacement
by Jim Dattilo on Feb 27th, 2014

The attention to detail starting with pre operative instructions, infection prevention, surgery and post operative care has exceeded all my expectations. At one year post surgery I would recommend Dr. Barrett to anyone .

Knee replacement surgery show details Knee replacement surgery
by Sheila Delaney on Feb 27th, 2014

Having my right knee replacement surgery was the best decision I have ever made and choosing Dr. Matthew Barrett to do the surgery was at the top of my list. My recovery was speedy and I followed all the instructions of the doctor and the physical therapist. I was able to take a trip to Europe within 3 months of the surgery and do all the walking that was required. I have recommended Dr. Barrett to a friend for the same surgery and he also had a similar experience. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Barrett to anyone who needed an orthopaedic surgeon.

by Melody K. Mason on Feb 27th, 2014

I am pleased that I had surgery by Dr. Matthew Barrett. He is very thorough explaining the procedures, answering questions and his bedside manner is excellent. His nurse, Melinda is so kind, patient and competent. She responds quickly to messages left. I am truly thankful I had the surgery and would definitely recommend Dr. Barrett to my family and friends. Our country needs more physicians like Dr. Barrett.!!!!!!!!

Always choose the best. show details Always choose the best.
Feb 11th, 2014

I am a registered nurse. Choosing the right surgeon for a total knee replacement seemed a daunting task. Successful surgery is critical to me. Every time I encountered a patient with a knee replacement that had gone well without complications and excellent results, their surgeon was Dr. Barrett. A skilled surgeon by all measurements who practices medicine the old-fashioned way. He cares deeply about each and every patient's success.

Great Doctor show details Great Doctor
by Lib N on Feb 9th, 2014

It is rare to find someone with such a good personality and ability to talk to you as person to person and family, I was so thankful to be sent to Dr. Barrett, he was very good to me and with my progress. I was especially young for hip replacement so he will continue to monitor yearly but he was/is fantastic and I am so thankful for him......

Feb 7th, 2014

Great Joint Replacement Orthopedic Surgeon

Amazing..... show details Amazing.....
by R. Keith Strain, Murfreesboro, TN on Dec 28th, 2013

Amazing Doc..... Carried my crutches out in may hands after knee surgery and walked on my own with NO pain still today 5 days after surgery. He did an amazing job on my mother's hip replacement too. Highly Recommend.

Total Hip Replacement show details Total Hip Replacement
by Mary on Mar 29th, 2013

My first visit I was scared, I knew that he was going to suggest surgery which I wasn't thrilled about. The pain was so bad. I did not like the courteousness of the receptionist, they were short and sad. The nurse for the Dr was terrific and listened to everything I said. When the Dr came in he sat down and looked as if he was ready for me to spill my thoughts about what was needed. He explained I needed surgery, explained the process, showed me the prothesesis and we scheduled. Surgery: I was in the hospital for 2 days, the Dr visited me every day, stayed as long as I needed and had the best bedside manner for being a surgeon. My followup was the same. He spent as much time and answered all my questions. Therapy went well and I am so pleased with the results. As I have been told by all: should have done it sooner. No pain what so ever. I need the other hip done and now can't wait to get in there and have Dr Barrett do the other. What a special caring person. Thanks!!!!!

Jan 24th, 2013

On my first visit, Dr. Barrett was very short (borderline rude) to me. He appeared rushed and aggravated. On the second appt. that I made with the office...I was called less than two hours prior to my appt for them to cancel, as Dr. Barrett had a personal appt. that HE had to go to. (How could you not know about this personal appt. the day before?) Anyway, I had already driven 45 miles from my home and was in Murfreesboro. When I requested if another doctor in the office could give me the cortisone shot, he refused to allow another doctor there to treat me. His staff simply said, I'd have to reschedule at a later date. I won't be back, I should have known after my first experience with him. Bad experience with this office/doctor.

Arrogant show details Arrogant
Aug 19th, 2012

Got mad when I told him me knee replacement wasn't right and told me to find another Doctor, so I did. New Doctor says knee is loose and PCL is very loose and doesn't stabilize knee. I can't go up or down steps without pain or stand long or walk far unless I where a brace now, and will need more surgery to fix. Family Doctor and rehab workers were shocked by how loose my knee is as was Dr. Barrett's own nurse.