Dr. Matthew Sachs MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.1

September 7th, 2016
Dr. Sachs is fantastic. Knows his stuff when it comes to dispensing the right medications and dosages. Very easy to talk with and has very good insight of best way for his patients to resolve whatever they are dealing with. I would recommend him to ANYONE. Best experience with a therapist/psychiatrist bar none.

September 5th, 2016
Take your child to CHKD, not to Dr. Sachs.
He makes his pediatric patients very uncomfortable. He is also condescending to parents. And he makes diagnosis and gives strong medications on the first visit. It does not seem like he cares about his patients, he is only in it for prestige and money.

August 26th, 2016
Do not use this provider.
I would never choose this doctor again. He obviously does not like kids and he takes advantage of the elderly. He is negligent, incapable of writing an error free prescription, and misuse his office staff. For example, I just heard his receptionists saying they would write the letters sent out on his behalf, even though they are not allowed by law to do so.

July 7th, 2016
racist drug
He is arrogant and rude. He gave my child drugs at the 1st appointment that made things worse. He didn't take the time to find out what the problem was and was more interested in getting insurance payment. He does NOT care about hi patients, he is only in it for the money. He and his staff are racist!

June 10th, 2016
Incompetent and negligent provider and staff
We suspected my daughter had ADD and took her to Dr. Matthew (Matt) Sachs. At the first appointment, Dr. Sachs spent 1hour talking to her, but he NEGLECTED to ask for a health history (even our dentist and optometrist require a health history for new patients). He then let her, a 15 year old, to choose between Adderall and Ritalin. He told her to take it 3x per day. Sachs wrote the prescription for 1 tab 3x/day for 30 days. But the total number of tabs was for 60. However, 3x30=90. The pharmacist also asked why this was the case, but because Adderall is a controlled substance, we filled the original script and had to go back and get an additional prescription to cover the remainder. We should bill the office for our time and travel. Sachs charged $220.00 for this initial hour evaluation (the billing code listed was for “therapy”), plus an additional $327 a total of $547.00. This billing code was a (Mod/High) New Pt. fee. Mod/High, it took months to get this appointment. Furthermore, the original appointment had been cancelled but the INCOMPETENT office staff did not use the phone number we provided at the time of scheduling. Instead they pulled a legacy phone number from my daughter’s electronic medical records (we changed the phone number three years ago). When we showed up to the original appointment (she had to miss school) and found out that it had been cancelled, the office staff rudely said “well we called but it said the number was no longer in service’. I also called the office PRIOR to the first scheduled appointment to ask what the maximum TOTAL expenses for the initial visit would be, and the office staff checked said between $60 and $300. They NEGLECTED to tell me there would be an ADDITIONAL $327 fee for new patients. I called Sentara billing and they said this fee is supposedly at the provider’s discretion. Then I called Sachs’ office the office manager said she would have to check and get back to me. She did, and said no that is correct; it is a new patient fee. NEGLIGENT, INCOMPETENT, and LAZY provider and staff. Sachs is only interested in $$, he does NOT adequately provide pediatric psychiatric care. He is neglectful; he prescribes drugs without adequate patient health history/information. He fails to inform patients (and parents) in regard to ‘black box’ warnings on prescription labels, nor does he discuss possible short and long-term medication side effects.

May 18th, 2016
Negligent, greedy, lazy provider and office staff. Incompetent records and billing department that is not even cognizant of current ICD-10 and DSM V billing codes.
Another incompetent SENTARA provider. It took 5 months to get an initial appointment. I took my daughter out of school, we arrived early as requested, only to find out the appointment had been cancelled. The office staff said they tried to call two weeks prior to the cancellation but that the number was out of service. That is their error because I provided a current phone number when the appointment was originally made. Furthermore, I called twice in advance the week of the appointment to ask what the total charge for the initial visit would be, was told between $60 and $300. Went to the rescheduled appointment, my daughter was given a prescription for a controlled substance for ADHD (ADD under the new ICD 10 and DSM V codes which Sentara apparently does not know about according to the diagnosis on the statement), it was for 10 mg 3x daily for 30 days. But the total number of tablets was written as 60. Last I (and the pharmacist checked) 3x30 =90 tabs total. We filled it for 60 tabs, she is taking less that the required amount because it is not worth the hassle of dealing with this negligent provider's office. I paid in cash $400 for the visit, and got a bill a week later for $527. $200 for 'therapy" ? Since when is a medical history describing the symptoms and a diagnosis 'therapy"? Handing a patient a paper with the name of a psychotherapist is not and does not qualify as 'therapy', it reinforces the fact that this is NOT a psychotherapy provider! Then the additional charge of $327 for an E/M office visit NP--my daughter is not a new Sentara Medical Group Provider, she has been seen by Sentara doctors in the ER and urgent care facilities several times, this is reinforced by the fact that the office staff called a cell phone number that was from several years ago (i.e.historical Sentara record) to cancel the original appointment. And if 5 months to get an initial appointment qualifies for an 'emergency medical' (E/M?) office visit, it is just one more reason to avoid this corrupt practice that is only focused on "the bottom line"--that is to make money, not to provide health care to children/adolescents. I am following up with my attorney. My daughter is not going to be treated by a staff of lazy, greedy morons.

May 17th, 2016
Nice gem in this weird field
He spent a lot of time with me and really got to know me. Down to earth and reasonable. Haven't met many psychiatrists like him, and I've seen a bunch.

December 24th, 2015
Just say No
He caused me unfixable damage.

April 4th, 2013
Took the time to get to know my daughter and is helping her navigate through a very difficult period in her life. Extremely personable and respectable. Knows what he is doing.