inactive

Max Van Gilder MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

October 31st, 2014
Misdiagnosis, mismanaged practice
We stopped taking our child to Dr Van Gilder for a number of reasons: he as a creepy, awkward bedside manner; his staff mishandled basic school vaccination forms; he misdiagnosed a speech delay in our son. Need I say more?

August 26th, 2014
Dr. Van Gilder is awesome doctor. He is attentive and so knowledgeable and very update in modern medicine and medical technology. His level of accuracy in diagnosising illness is one of his key attributes for me. He would be an awesome psychologist as well. My children are now young adults (they just turned 20) and both my chilren and I are having a difficult time of letting go of Dr. Van Gilder.

September 29th, 2013
14 years of good care
Our son has always liked Dr. Van Gilder from the time he was a baby. Dr, Van Gilder has a comfortable relaxed manner and has always had time to listen to our concerns. He was also completely comfortable with adopting new approaches when we brought in a recent hot off the press research article. When our son's adenoids and tonsils were swollen to the point of causing sleep apnea, he quickly referred us to a great pediatric ENT. Personally I'm not as comfortable with the younger pediatricians who are sometimes too quick to recommend treatment without listening as carefully. One of the younger pediatricians unnecessarily sent our son to the dermatologist about a possible skin infection. I'm wondering if it was due to the comments of the reviewer below whose infant had the infection in question. While I can understand the parents of an infant being alarmed, it really is not a serious disease. The dermatologist pretty much confirmed what is on Web MD when he was baffled at why we had been referred to him. Yes you can treat it but it often goes away on its own.

April 3rd, 2013
I'm surprised by the negative reviews here. I have completely trusted Dr. Max since he first examined my son on the 2nd day of his life (he is 7 now). He totally gets my son's special needs. He has been both reassuring and helpful.

November 12th, 2012
BEST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD HAS A LOT OF PATIENCE AND WILL TAKE AS LONG AS YOU NEED DURING A VISIT.

June 7th, 2012
Van Gilder misdiagnosed a fairly serious infant skin disease (molescum) and insisted there were no effective treatments for it. The case got much worse and we went to a specialist who treated it quite quickly and effectively. This would suggest that he is not up to date and his manner in dealing with it was arrogant and uncaring -- a bad combination when accompanied by incompetence. The other doctors in the office seem better and younger. The office is something of a zoo.

December 31st, 2010
Dr Van Gilder is thoughtful, kind and sweet doctor. He has been enormously supportive of breastfeeding, and supportive of a natural approach to parenting. I like how intuitive he is with my newborn and very reassuring to us when there was a medical problem.

April 13th, 2010
terrible bedside manner, scary to children, narcisstic, poorly groomed