Internist, Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones)

24 Frank Lloyd Wright Dr
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
866-266-5221
Locations and availability (4)

|  Hashimoto's Or cancer???  |  show details
Aug 7th, 2011

I had my first and last visit with Dr. Haymart Last summer. I have never written a Review on a Doctor before. This time although I felt others should be warned. My visit with Haymart was summer of 2010, from the start I felt something wasnt right. First she couldnt even make eye contact with me. She felt around my thyroid while I was sitting up, reviewed my blood tests. Her diagnosis was I had auto immune Hoshimotos & this was not my problem for my complaints. I didnt fit in the box of hypothyroidism. I was to small she said. Although I had gained 20lbs in one year, went from a size zero to a four. She referred to a gynecologist & rheumatologist. The gyno found nothing & the rheumatoloist said that I have fibromyalgia. Though I believe fibromyalgia does exist I dont believe I have it. My body aches was not anything like the description of fibromyalgia pain. I was near my end and giving up. One of my other doctors didnt think that was my problem either, that he wanted to see a different Endocrinologist. He referred me to Dr. Sansfield @ St. Joes. Couple months after seeing Dr. Haymart I got in to see Dr. Sansfield & the first thing he says after reading my symptoms is had I ever heard of Celiac Disease? As matter of fact I had because my daughter has it. Although I had been already tested for celiac he tells me 20% of people that test negative are actually positive. And a biopsy would not work on me because I was already eating mostly gluten free. Then he does a through exam of my thyroid. He tells me he believes have a goiter on my right side. So, he sends me away with an appointment for an ultrasound and puts me on the gluten free diet. The ultrasound confirmed not only did I have a goiter on the right but on the left also. Also several nodules to boot, he tells my to come back for another in four months. Four months later one of the nodules doubled in size. They did a biopsy (FNA). Out of 5 samples they all came back inconclusive. He recommends my thyroid be removed. Which I did & found out I had Papillary cancer of the thyroid. If I had listened to Haymart I would still be walking round with cancer. This is the cancer to get if you have to have one. But cancer is cancer and it is scary. I do feel that if she had done a more through exam, listened to about my symptoms she could have found the problem. I would like to also mention that at the time of my appointment with her I was having trouble with my ribs & could not move without holding them. Not once did she ask my what was wrong. I would think as a doctor she would ask why every time I moved why was I near tears. I guess this should have been my first warning. Shame on meI am now healing very well after my total thyroidectomy. I would like to mention also, a lot of my stomach issues, monthly cycle issues, & body aches went away with the gluten free diet. THANK YOU DR. SANSFIELD!!!