Dr. Melanie Smythe DO Patient Reviews

• 5 reviews

May 26th, 2015
Dr. Smythe is a fine doctor. Her staff, especially her nurse assistant is hard to get a call back from and there is often confusion with getting refills, or test results, etc. I think Dr. Smythe is great at general care, but any real health concerns I would want a second opinion.

December 23rd, 2013
She saved my life.
I have seen Dr. Smythe ever since she opened this practice. She helped me with severe depression and horrible life altering pain. She listened, was patient and helpful. She saw me through months of information gathering as I applied for disability. We were successful and she has been there for me for many many years. We kept trying to ease my symptoms and lately we've had life restoring success.

January 21st, 2013
Contractor
All was good

June 12th, 2011
Dr. Smythe is pleasant and caring, but sometimes nice is not enough.
I was a patient of Dr. Smythe's many years ago. I always found her pleasant and caring -- especially with children and the elderly. She really does care about her patients as people. I found her staff to be very pleasant, and was not disturbed to pay a nominal fee for records. It does, afterall, take time and money away from running her clinic.I agree with the other reviewer about being too quick to dismiss a patient's complaints. I was treated for depression after no unusual results were found in plain x-rays and blood tests. Several years and many doctors later, it turns out that I had hip dysplasia. Not surprising, given that I have a family history of this condition. (Someone misread a scan.) No amount of counseling or anti-depressants will fix that. It requires surgical correction -- which I have subsequently obtained.I left her practice after hitting a wall with counseling and persistent unexplained symptoms. At the time that I was her patient, I had an HMO that required doctor referral for specialist evaluations. Now I have a PPO, and the ability to obtain a second opinion independent of my PCP. (Highly recommended when there are no answers or dismissive responses from a PCP.)Why am I writing this? my hope is that Dr. Smythe will read this and be less dismissive of patients in the future. Depression is sometimes not the cause, but, rather, the effect of a serious illness.

February 12th, 2011
Incredibly rude staff and quick to dismiss everything as "depression"
Went in with fatigue like symptoms and asked for blood work as my family has a history of thyroid problems. The nurse was very rough with the needle going in and coming out to the point that I had to say something to Dr. Smythe. I have had blood work done in the past and I believe she was intentionally rough. I was bruised for over a week. When I asked for a copy of the test results I was told I had to pay for a copy. When I informed this nurse that it was illegal for her to request payment I was met with several exasperated tones. She went and spoke with the doctor and finally gave me a copy for free. After all of this Dr. Smythe gets the blood work back and says everything is fine and that I'm probably depressed. Then she wants to blow me off with a prescription for Zoloft. Unreal how people are willing to promote the use of psychoactive drugs and not treat actual symptoms.