Ophthalmologists
11111 Research Blvd
Ste 220
Austin, TX 78759
512-324-6755
Locations and availability (4)

1.0

|  Horrible experience, both times!  |  show details
Jul 23rd, 2013

My 2 year old was diagnosed with Strabithmas "Lazy eye" by one doctor, and she was complaining her glasses made it hard to see, so we got a second opinion, and went to Dr. Rainey's office. I had heard Dell Children's eye specialists were good, so we went to check it out. The Staff was a bit rude at the front desk, they actually charged me wrong for my visit, then told me they had made a mistake, but I had to call the billing department to get them to fix it, which I did and they took care of it, but I was not going to be able to see the doctor until it was resolved, that was ANNOYING. The Nurses were AMAZING, very sweet and nurturing and tender with me and my kids. Then in came Rainey, who never was polite at all, never smiled, told me my daughter needed a stronger RX for her glasses, and that her vision would just get worse. I asked her for more of a detailed medical explanation as to what she was going through and how I could help her nutritionally and with eye exercises so she did not have to wear glasses her whole life, and she literally told me that at one point in evolution we evolved from this condition of lazy eye, and that it was needed to survive dinosaurs and look at predators from the corner of our eyes, and that some people still have it. I was not ready for that bucket of weirdness, whatever you believe is your own issue, but I was wanting more, logical, relevant information on how to help my child through nutrition and other resources... She basically just told me to expect it to get worse, and possibly have surgery. She was rude to my child, very cold and uncaring. I do not trust her, and I am going to get a second opinion somewhere else because I do not believe she really cared to get us the help we need.

|  Should NOT be in pediatrics  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2012

My son had to see a pediatric opthamologist when he was 3 years old. We made an appointment with Dr.Rainey. On our first visit I immediately did not feel comfortable with Dr. Rainey. She was not very personable toward me and especially not toward my son. Being that it was his first time at the opthamologist and that she is a pediatric specialist I had expected a warmer demeanor and some effort it making him feel at ease. She was abrasive, did her exam, handed me the prescription and was ready to walk out the door until I stopped her to get some clarification on what his vision problem was and what it meant. Her answer was short and essentially what I was told was that "it will only get worse from here." We made our follow up appointment for 6 months later. At the follow up appointment the nurse was excellent. She was very warm and great with my son. Then Dr. Rainey came in. She greeted us and got straight to work. When the print got too small for my son to see comfortably he would turn his head to see the letters behind him. Dr. Rainey grabbed his head and turned it to the mirror (in front of us) repeatedly. My son kept saying "ow, ow, ow." To which she said "this does not hurt." She finished the exam and said she would see us again in 6 months. The next day my son woke up with a terrible crick in his neck that needed a visit to his pediatrician. When I explained the appointment to the pediatrician, he assured me that her repeated turning of his head is what caused his sore neck. We WILL NOT be going back to Dr. Rainey nor do I recommend that anyone take their children to her. Anyone who specializes in anything pediatric should not be visibly annoyed by children. It is unfortunate that there are so few choices in the pediatric opthamology field. It is more unfortunate that one of those choices would cause physical harm to my son.