Melvin L Ashford, MD
Minnesota Women's Care
2603 White Bear Ave N
Saint Paul, MN 55109
651-233-1934
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  The Best Doctor in the Midwest  |  show details
Apr 23rd, 2014

Dr.Ashford is one of the most compassionate and helps to keep me educated on my health issues. He has awesome bedside manner and very knowledgeable in the field of women's health, actually total well-being of his patients.

|  Treats patients better than staff  |  show details
Dec 29th, 2013

While Dr. Ashford is indeed a very competent doctor and I have personally not had any negative patient care-related experiences with him, I was extremely disappointed to witness the way he treated nursing and other medical staff during a delivery. He reprimanded another resident physician as well as a nurse right in the hallway outside of my room. I heard everything and I am sure others likely heard and/or saw and witnessed this as well. Very rude. Extremely disrespectful. And completely classless. To see a doctor disrespect his colleagues who should be part of his team is disappointing. Dr. Ashford, you are far better than that...

|  Best of the Best  |  show details
by Dee on Oct 23rd, 2013

Dr.Ashford is one of best doctors I have ever seen and what makes him stand out is that he has a sense of humor. He is very caring, informative, professional and efficient. He was my doctor and surgeon years ago and I wish I could have continued care with him over the past couple of years, but I had a change in insurance. It was tiresome trying to get the doctors to understand my pelvic pain. I'm glad I found him and in one visit I now feel at ease with the issues I have experiencing; knowing that my concerns will be addressed adequately.

|  Wonderful Cesarean  |  show details
Jul 11th, 2012

Dr. Ashford delivered my daughter 3 years ago, and I was SO impressed. I just learned he is no longer with Aspen Medical, and I would like to know he relocated.

Doctor's Response

Thank you! Nothing makes me happier than a happy patient. I've decided to open my own private practice, Minnesota Women's Care. Currently I am overseeing the construction of the office. We will open our doors on Nov 1st 2012. The office will be located at 2603 White Bear Avenue N in Maplewood,MN. Visit the website www.mnwcare.com

|  I give Dr. Ashford an A  |  show details
by Laura on Jul 22nd, 2010

Dr. Ashford is very easy to talk to. He will listen and respond with understandable terms (Not medical)Unlike most of us who don't understand all that.. :) I highly recommend him. He's an excellent surgeon,(which he performed on me) Dr, always been on time (except 1 time during surgery, he over booked himself which wasn't a big deal) and easy scheduling. Even when he's booked, his assistant Maria is really good at trying to get you in somewhere.. As for me being in a lesbian relationship I don't feel discriminated or pushed to the side, so that a . Not to mention he is very clean cut and adorable!

You made me blush :)

|  show details
Jul 21st, 2010

Excellent physician with impecable surgical skills. I was so lucky to find him.

Doctor's Response

I'm sending this comment to my mother. Thank you!

|  Horrible Cesarean Experience  |  show details
Apr 9th, 2010

I would not recommend Dr. Ashford for a cesarean birth. I had to have a cesarean due to my baby being breech. I went to St. Joseph's to have the most natural birth experience possible and my cesarean was extremely traumatic. My first view of my baby was on a digital camera. I experienced no communication from Dr. Ashford and felt completely objectified. I would absolutely not recommend this doctor to perform a Cesarean birth.

Doctor's Response

This patient was not originally under my care. I was called from home by a midwife who was taking care of this patient. The midwife noted that the baby's fetal heart rate was extremely low and requested my help. On my arrival the baby was indeed in trouble. I had to perform a "stat" cesarean section to deliver the baby in less than 5 minutes. Luckily I was successful and her baby did well. Unfortunately there was no initial time for chit chat. I'm glad that her baby did well.