Dr. Michael Alper MD Patient Reviews

2.8

October 25th, 2015
NA
Today was the second time Dr. Alper worked with me for a retrieval. After my first retrieval, I didn't have any pain at all and he successfully was able to gather every egg -- 8/8. He was also very personable and professional. After knowing I would be going back to Boston IVF's Waltham location for another retrieval, I read the reviews on this site and was shocked to see Dr. Alper was any lower than 5 stars. I can be pretty critical, definately more than most, and reading other reviews before going back for the procedure made me think. Today was the day, and again, Dr. Alper was fantastic. Again, he retrieved everything possible -- 8/8. But after receiving an explanation regarding the count, it seemed more likely it would have been only 6, but Dr. Alper went the extra-mile to improve our odds. What's more, again, I don't feel any cramping sensations or pain to speak-of. From my experience, I don't think I could have had a better doctor. I am also quite petit and even just a sip of wine will go to my head, and I tend to feel quite sick after a procedure like this where I am made unconscious. The Anesthesiologist must also be very good because, both times, I didn't feel terrible after. Waltham is the only place I have been made unconscious, and have not felt sick afterwards. Of course the nurse who looked after me, Nina, was also very personable and helped with my coming back to consciousness. I don't want reviewers to think that I was looking through rose-colored glasses, no one who knows me would blame me of that, but I have been deeply impressed with the Waltham location. I would not give this many stars to other B-IVF offices, but I hope you also have Dr. Alper work with you and have share a similar experience if not better.

March 4th, 2012
I wasn't monitored enough, and nearly died of hyper-stimulation. I should have sued, but I was to thankful to be alive, I just walked away. Then, years later, found out I had one embryo in their freezer I didn't know still existed.

February 13th, 2012
I am shocked by the other reviews...
we had a wonderful experience with Dr. Alper. He was wonderful during our IVF treatments. He answered all our questions and was very patient with us. We did 3 IUI's and 4 IVF cycles. And he supported us through all of it. I agree that he is not a warm and fuzzy doctor, but that actually helped. He was very black and white with everything...very direct. We didn't want anyone giving us false hope after trying to get pregnant for two years. His staff was wonderful and called us back promptly with any questions we had. I believe Fertility patients are a different group of people. There is so much emotion and time invested in trying to create a family. He guided us through our failures and successes. I would not have my family if not for him and the staff at Boston IVF.

August 5th, 2011
Terribly unprofessional
His office staff is rude and totally disorganized. It has taken us 5 months to have a relatively simple procedure done because the staff can't seem to get their act together and schedule the various tests that are needed during my wife's cycle. They had us call on day one and schedule a test for day ten, and after the test said, oops we forgot to have you come in day 3 for a test that is required by the health insurance company so now you have to wait another whole month.

November 12th, 2010
My husband and I had a horrible experience with this man. We both had to take the day off of work to go to a consult only to realize that Dr. Alper did not even bother to read any of my charts. His diagnosis was test to be done that we have already had. He would have known this if he spent 5 min with the paperwork. Our copay of $20 was at least $19 too much!

June 14th, 2010
Do NOT GO TO Dr. Alper
I had an absolutely HORRIBLE experience with Dr. Alper. The staff were fine, but he has ABSOLUTELY no bedside manner and couldn't us out of his office fast enough. After only one IVF (failed) cycle he told us to adopt/donor. He clearly did not want to work with us. RUN AWAY!

April 29th, 2009
Very Old Fashioned
My husband and I were seeing Dr. Alper for treatment at the Boston IVF center. He was clinical, cold and condescending. He was difficult to get a hold of for questions and was patronizing during office visits. In fact, when my husband and I raised questions regarding research studies on fertility which we had read he was belligerent, upset that we had even looked outside for information. We were told - don't bother with that, I'm the doctor. We were looking for a partner, someone who would be a part of the fertility journey and respect our intelligence, careers and the emotional challenges of going through fertility treatment. If we asked for details on the results he reluctantly shared them. I would not recommend Dr. Alper to anyone. His style was rather old school (think '60s). "I'm the doctor", don't ask questions, don't get emotional and just be a good little patient. As woman, dealing with infertility is difficult enough, having a doctor who is uninterested in interacting with you does not help.There are MANY OTHER wonderful, caring, and focused doctors in the Boston IVF team whom I've since worked with. I should also note that the Boston IVF nurses and supporting staff are great. Overall the practice is great - and Dr. Alper may be a great administrator - but he is not someone to look to for caring personal connection or commitment to you as person beyond a metric.