Dr. Michael Amaro MD Patient Reviews

• Maternal and Fetal Medicine Houston, TX

December 13th, 2015
My First Baby and I love Dr. Amaro & Staff
This is my first baby and being a high risk pregnancy, I was turned down by a few other doctors. I had my first few visits at the office with the nurse practioner, Brandy and she was great! We followed up on my hormone levels just about every week to make sure my pregnancy would be viable, I also requested Metformin to lower the risk of miscarriage with my PCOS and was given whatever I needed to ensure for a healthy pregnancy. My first visit with Dr. Amaro was after I had a some bleeding and was a follow up to an ER visit. He was great! We did a quick ultrasound to check on him and he put my mind at ease although Dr. Amaro was brief, he answered any question that I had and didn't rush me out. I am now 7 months pregnant and can't wait for delivery with Dr. Amaro!!!

May 1st, 2015
Horrible bedside manners, doesn't care enough.
First off the receptionists in the front don't seem to know what's going on. Try calling in for a question or an appointment or a concern and you will not be able to get through to them most of the time. It will always say they are busy or the voicemail is full. As an OB office of pregnant woman that's not reliable . The waiting time is beyond ridiculous. Especially waiting in the actual room takes forever & once the doctor comes in it takes him about 2 mins to see you. He will only check the heartbeat by the way. It was really nurse Brandy they literally takes more concern and care thought most of my pregnancy. He doesn't really seem to care and spends most of time not with patients. The bathroom is nasty. Never clean . And they don't even have Lysol in there . Personally I do not reccomend this place Please go somewhere else Not worth your 9 months. I hope they change their attitude And laziness . That was my personal experience

November 15th, 2014
This is the worst experience ever with this dr. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and I barely got to see my baby in belly, I went to him at nine weeks and he didn't bother to check how my baby was growing, I was in the waiting for 20 min and in the room with the Dr for 5 min or less he didn't tell me one word and just checked the heartbeat and that's it, and my lab results he didn't even go over them with me the m.a just told me they looked normal , in my mind I was like really??? On my 2nd o.v I was 16 weeks i will call the front office to see what test they are going to do so I can be inform they said they didn't kno2, I stated to them I will like to know since the Dr never tells me nothing they just said come to your appt, I went to my appt and it was the same thing he just check the heartbeat and was about to leave this time I was like oh no because I hadn't been feeling well I told him what hurted me how I felt and he still didn't pay mind I was like really? I also asked him when do you do the first ultrasound he was like at 20 weeks I told him shouldn't it be at 9 weeks to see how it's growing and then at 20? He was like come to my office I also told him there's a sign stating you can find out what your having as soon as 14 weeks he said you have to pay for that I was like well I have medicaid, he took me to his office just to tell me we c an schedule you and ultrasound for Fri I was like ok I went to the front and the lady wanted to schedule me till I was 20 weeks I was like omg! No! So when I went to my appt I was so upset because I was at my appt on time, I signed in and the front desk lady saw me and she didn't bother to get my sign in slip I waited patiently another pt walked in and she got her slip first and left mines outside I had to knock on the Window and hand her my slip, and then they called the other pt first I was so upset I asked them why they did that I come on time for nothing, she stated I'm sorry they called her already she got here late her appt was before yours, I was like that's not fair yalll should have put her second since she was late and me the other pt was here already she jus had a smirk on her face was like your gonna be next just wait, and this the second time that this happens so I was super upset my mom was upset too she states that they should not do that, but overall I would not recommend this place the front office is just nice to people they wants to be nice too and the dr. Is just plain horrible he made feel uncomfortable and awkward the nurse she horrible too I never wanted to see her but the Dr is just as worse the only nice lady was the m.a.

August 26th, 2013
Knowledgeable but rude staff and bad bedside manner
In my experience, as a previous patient of dr. Guilliams (who was fabulous btw) I decided to go see dr amaro when I got pregnant with my second child. When I went in for my first ultrasound, there was a woman and her daughter screaming in the lobby demanding where the dr was. This was very alarming and no one on the staff did anything to calm the woman. Not to mention they didn't have me down for an appointment, which was scheduled in advance, and were wondering why I was there. They then decided to tell me that I would probably have to reschedule my appointment b/c the dr wasn't there, although it was 9am! Finally after waiting another half hour I was brought back to the room and an ultrasound was done. When I asked dr amaro questions, I felt as though he had a demeaning way of talking to u as if I was asking a stupid question and I also did not feel comfortable. Needless to say, I switched to another obgyn.

September 20th, 2012
Who cares if he's monotone? He's a GOOD DR!
I'm the most critical patients out there when it comes to doctor care. Sometimes I feel like doctors have become the new car salesmen...(no offense). However, I have to say that Dr. Amaro seems to be a great doctor. I am 5 months pregnant and was with a different OB-GYN before I made an appt with Dr. Amaro. My former OB who had come very highly recommended, would not answer or return my phone calls for 2 weeks. Needless to say, I decided to transfer doctors after I became very ill and ended up with a very bad upper respiratory infection/sinus infection/jaw pain/and y/infx. I called Dr. Amaro who had taken over Dr. Guilliams practice (my mother used Dr. Guilliams) and I was so happy to hear that they would take me in same day for my problem. The office is not impressive and the wait was rather long, but It didn't matter to me because Dr. Amaro and his staff accomodated me when I needed it the most. When I got to into the patient room, I realized why it took so long because the nurse and doctor are really thorough with asking questions. Dr. Amaro - yes, is a bit monotone, but he laughs if YOU have enough humor to make him laugh. My experience with him was very pleasant. I voiced my concerns and was even happy to know he knew how to work a sonogram/ultrasound machine (my former OB did NOT know how to do it). People need to understand that you also have to be proactive in asking questions just as much as the doctor does. Afterwards, Dr. Amaro even welcomed me into his office and we chatted briefly about my concerns with my pregnancy. If you want a doctor you can trust and who can accomodate you when you need it the most, I recommend him.

July 26th, 2012
I love Dr. Amaro
Dr. Amaro delivered both my kids 15 years ago. I moved about an hour away and have not been back. Since then, I have had a hysterectomy and do not need to have "girl" exams yearly anymore. However, I am making my daughter's first appt. today w/ Dr. Amaro. I loved his "bluntness" and his casual bedside manner.

May 14th, 2012
went with my daughter for her visit
My daughter is pregnant with her 2nd child - due in a month. This one is to be a scheduled C-section. Her doctor had some issues where he couldn't do the C-sec so he recommended Dr. Amaro. I went with her to the visit to meet him to get some of my questions answered as well. We waited for over an hour and I was a bit upset. However, when we got into the exaiming room his staff was very apologetic. Dr. Amaro walked in, did a brief ultrasound to check the baby's heartbeat and then sent us into his office to talk about when to schedule the surgery. He then went on to expain that his first patient that afternoon had taken 2 hours. I don't know the details but he had been trying to talk to her about something serious and she was laughing at him and texting on her phone. It had upset him very much. I felt like we were being rail-roaded because it was closing time and he had to get to the rest of his patients....but I realized if he didn't care as much as he did - he wouldn't have spent 2 hours with someone who had basically been rude to him. I could tell that it concerned him and I realized it took someone with a deep level of concern to not toss that patient out on her ears and move on to the next patient. I told my daughter that I didn't think she'd have anything to worry about. I liked his personality and his staff was wonderful. I do recommend him.

June 1st, 2011
You are in good hands with Dr. Amaro!
Dr. Amaro is wonderful! He delivered my cousin almost 18 years ago, and was recommended to me by my Aunt. He delivered my son via c-section, and he ...

September 10th, 2010
amaro
great doctor, i would love to have him deliver another child of mine.

June 29th, 2010
Jennifer K.
I have been going to Dr. Amaro for nearly 10 years. He has taken care of me during 2 of my 3 pregnancies. He is a great doctor! Thanks Dr. Amaro.

May 13th, 2010
The best doctor I have ever had
I started going to Dr. Amaro in my 5th month of pregnancy due to relocation. I have to say that he is the best doctor I have ever been to. He is funny, but when it comes to serious matters, he can be so serious. He put me at ease from the moment I met him, and I am thankful that he is the one who delivered my son. I had a c-section due to low platelets and high blood pressure, and I wasn't scared at all because of Dr. Amaro. He was and is always patient with me (I ask alot of questions) and I have recommended him to several of my friends!

April 22nd, 2010
Office Visit
No one enjoys going to the DR, but the staff was very pleasant and was in and out of the office with 30-45 minutes