Surgeons
5719 Widewaters Pkwy
Ste 3
Syracuse, NY 13214
315-251-3100
Locations and availability (7)

|  Saved my career, changed my life!  |  show details
by Hal L. on Mar 19th, 2014

I am currently the assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Buffalo Bills and was the Director of Strength and Conditioning at Syracuse University when I had my left hip resurfaced (August 7, 2012). Being in the profession I am in and what I had done to my body over the years (weight lifting, training, playing collision sports, skiing, living hard, etc.), had finally come to a head the summer of 2012. I was at a crossroads in my life. I was taking approximately 20-30 advil and drinking 8-10 beers daily just to manage the pain. My wife and I had an 8 month old son and my quality of life was diminishing quickly, all at the ripe old age of 38. I had been diagnosed with arthritis at age 32 and was told I was too young, just deal with it (not by Dr. Clarke). I was considering a career change because I knew if I continued my current way of life, things were going to get worse. One last effort led me to Dr. Clarke. He immediately got me in for an appointment, explained all the options (very informative), and let me make the decision. Once I made the call, surgery was set quickly. I had surgery August 7, 2012 and was back on the field coaching August 22. More importantly, I can play with my son and daughter. We run, jump, get down on the floor, and I can help with bath time now without taking 20 pills and drinking a 6 pack. It's been a year and a half now. I will be 40 next week and feel like I'm 20 again. I have no limitations other than I don't squat 500 lbs. or run into things as hard as I can anymore. Special thanks to all the nurses and physical therapists at St. Joe's hospital. First-class professionals and people all the way. My son was born at St. Joe's earlier that year and in a way, I feel like I was too. Dr. Clarke, my family and I thank you.

|  Like a hip replacement factory...  |  show details
Mar 12th, 2014

....and that's not necessarily a good thing. Do you want someone who is doing 8 hip replacement surgeries in one day? Well, that's what you get with Dr. Clarke. true he has experience. Kind of reminds me of taking your car to Macko for a paint job. yes they will do it in a day for $99. I'm 2 years out from having my hip done. it hurts as much as befiore surgery,. I wake up with it throbbing every day. I can feel that it is loose, yet, the good dr won't even do anything but a stationary ex-ray and tell me it looks fine. never mind that i have elevated levels of cobalt and chromium...."nothing to worry about". I think...no, I know i should have done more research. Dr Clarke is NOT the best choice. Of course this review will disappear real soon, if it gets posted at all. Funny how that happens and he winds up with perfect ratings all the time.

|  He is the best!!!  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2013

Dr. Clarke replaced both my hips. 1st went perfectly--done at Community General Hospital. 2nd hip done at St. Joseph's Hospital--surgery itself went great same as hip #1, but I injured groin tendons during post op PT at the hospital--I found St. Joseph's Hospital had a very aggressive post op PT program and encouraged me to push through exercises despite severe pain. I've complained about this a lot and hope they have toned it down--no patient should get actual injuries from exercises done during the first couple of days post-op--gentle PT is all that is needed during that time. During my recovery/rehab at home Dr. C tried everything in the book to resolve my tendon problems and hoped things would heal with conservative treatment, but I ended up needing another surgery to release one tendon and repair two others. Unfortunately, I had some significant complications after the tendon surgery (no one's fault--things just happen sometimes) and this required a lot of his time and attention. I required additional surgery on my leg and was in the hospital almost 2 weeks. He visited me at the hospital every morning & phoned me evenings to check in & tell me the next days plan. Once I went home, he was available practically 24/7 for emails and phone calls from me & home nurses, followed me closely in his office, & looked after me as if I were his only patient. Everyone involved in my care was amazed at how accessible and devoted he was to my case. He never gave up until I was healed and doing well. I can't thank him enough for his kindness and concern for me throughout this process. He went above and beyond to help me get through it all.

|  Finally a diagnosis!  |  show details
Aug 1st, 2013

For 5-7 years I have been dealing with hip and back pain. I have seen numerous doctors, and chiropractors. I had a previous arthrogram done on my hip with a different doctor. Both that doctor and the radiologist missed seeing the labral tear. Dr. Clarke had suspicion there was one on that same arthrogram, he had me repeat it and sure enough I had one. Finally a diagnosis least I know what has been causing most of my pain this long.

|  NO ONE BETTER!!!  |  show details
by Toni O. on Jun 22nd, 2013

I drove three hours to have him do my knee replacement. 'Awesome' doesn't come close to describing Dr. Clarke. He's thorough. He takes his time. He explains things so you can understand them, and he is more than happy to answer questions - whether in person or by email. He doesn't sugar coat anything, and gives it to you straight. The surgery went perfectly. His follow up was beyond reproach. Bottom line...I will never use another doctor for knees or hips. He's the one and only.

|  Follow up from my July 2011 rating  |  show details
Oct 16th, 2012

I first saw Dr. Clarke July 2011. Fast forward ... I've had two hip replacements done by him and both surgeries went like clock work. He is an excellent hip surgeon and I can't imagine having anyone else touch my hips from here on out. Excellent response to my pre and post surgery concerns, great with pain management after surgery, just went above and beyond to make sure I was feeling OK with the process. I'm happy to recommend him to everyone I know with hip problems.

|  It's About Time  |  show details
Mar 28th, 2012

After 14 years suffering with hip pain, I was referred to Dr. Clarke. A simple xray, along with some physical maneuvers, gave him my diagnoses, for wich I will be having surgery. My long wait in the exam room was well worth getting to meet this very likeable man, and to finally get a diagnosis. He ROCKS!

|  Very impressed with first visit!!  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2011

Only 1 visit so far, but I am very pleased with this doctor, the facility, and staff. I feel like Dr. Clarke will be an excellent physician to work with me to get to the bottom of my ortho problems (hip/back, although I have to also see a spine specialist in the practice for the back, since Dr. Clarke only works with hip problems). Very knowledgable, concerned, caring, and motivated to help. Exudes confidence without sounding arrogant. Not a chatty, "warm and fuzzy" type, but very polite and respectful. Listened to me, answered my questions, and explained everything in detail. Excellent first visit and looking forward to working with him more to restore my mobility.

|  hip resurfacing surgery by Dr Clarke  |  show details
by George on Oct 7th, 2009

I am 3 weeks out from a hip resurfacing surgery with Dr Clarke. I am now walking without a cane, and doing physical therapy to regain my normal activities. I am an active male and would do it again if the need arose. My requirments in a surgeon are simple. I am looking for an assembly line worker who has done many procedures and seen it all. This man has done all of that and more. he lays it on the line about risks and rewards. He is the Hip Man.