Michael Dorfman MD Patient Reviews

2.9
  • 26 reviews

September 4th, 2016
Good Dr.
I have only had good experiences with this Dr. He's helped me a lot and has been a good resource for many forms of therapy not just prescribing medication.

July 23rd, 2016
Patient mis diagnosed. Treated for behavior when high anxiety was the challenge. Patient then became psychotic for the first time. severe mental challenges requiring outside influence.

February 12th, 2016
He Changed
It has been a few years since I have seen Dr. Dorfman. I saw him for a couple of years. It looks like other patients had experiences just like mine. For most of the time I saw Dr. Dorfman, he seemed warm and caring. I felt really good about my treatment. But then things started to change. Sometimes he commented about my appearance or told me that he cared about me. It came across as intense and awkward. Sometimes he shared personal information about his life and relationships that made me uncomfortable. There were also times he would seem a bit off. He came across as annoyed and rushed and would roll his eyes at questions. I finally decided I had to stop seeing him when he was verbally abusive one day with me in an appointment. I felt really hurt and confused. When I finally talked to my counselor about it she helped me to see that this was not a healthy doctor-patient relationship. I am seeing another doctor now and the experience is much better. It makes me sad that other people have had experiences like mine.

February 1st, 2016
I was recommended to Dr. Dorfman by a relative that had family members and multiple friends utilize his services successfully in the past. I made an appointment for my teenager who struggles with depression and social anxieties. She has been in his care for about a year. He has connected with and helped her tremendously. He is understanding and very encouraging. He and his office staff have been very supportive, responsive and effective in times of crisis for our family. He listens extremely well and offers sympathetic, reassuring advice and direction. I feel very grateful for having been introduced to him and his services. I would highly recommend him to anyone that is looking for an intelligent and caring doctor.

September 26th, 2015
Dr. Dorfman is an excellent and innovative psychiatrist. He is not traditional, he is interested, listens and cares about his patients. He works with clients to find a treatment that they are comfortable with. I do not believe you can find a better doctor.

September 20th, 2015
Exceptional
When reading reviews, I always try to take into consideration how rare it is that a person who has had a good experience will actually take the time to leave a review. Generally, you will only have privy to the extremes - the absolutely negative and/or the absolutely exceptional. With that being said, I would rate my experience with Dr. Dorfman as incredibly exceptional. Despite that the rates did increase, I don't mind, it's completely worth it for me. It has taken me many years to find my "right fit". I feel as though I've found it and I look forward to my appointments. It's what works for me, and exceeds what I have been seeking. Further - I'd recommend how critical it is for someone seeking guidance to truly take the time to find their proper fit as well. Otherwise, not doing so may completely make or break your entire experience with counseling and/or psychiatry assistance. Dr. Dorfman is a tremendously knowledgable, inspiring, and devoted person in regards to the success of his patients. It's clear to see. Lastly - to anyone who is seeking someone to talk to in depth to explore issues vs. that last piece/last step of medicinal, "spring board" assistance, I'd recommend a counselor rather than a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is, like someone mentioned previously, supposed to serve as a great springboard to get you on the right track beyond your counseling needs (to my understanding). Their time isn't necessarily devoted towards your counseling needs as this is what a counselor's purpose is. However, with that being said, I believe Dr. Dorfman goes above and beyond his responsibilities to ensure that his patients are in a great place and on the right track to success and further enlightenment. This is a rare find. I will continue to appreciate the support and guidance that he provides me.

September 16th, 2015
UNPROFESSIONAL and UNETHICAL
This "doctor" should not be practicing medicine! He is a disturbed man with NO boundaries. I've seen him several times and thought I could deal with awkwardness (he tells me I'm his favorite client and comments on my outfits) I could deal with it. At this last appointment, when I told him my husband and I were going through a tough time, he told me all about HIS relationships and then went into a lot of personal detail. It was so uncomfortable and embarrassing. I didn't go in there to be HIS therapist. I'm not returning and I would NOT recommend him.

September 8th, 2015
mrs
He doesn't take any insurances. He was charging $50.00 first, then it went to $75.00. And I have insurance but I thought ok I'll stay. So I got a new psychiatrist closer and a much lower co-pay. He said it takes too long for the insurance companies to pay. My therapist said they are but you don't quit taking it, what about your patients. Its just not fair.

August 15th, 2014
All things considered, one of the best doctors I've ever had.
I find myself agog reading the negative reviews. It makes me really want to know what those patients said to HIM that evoked these terrifying reactions- and let's face facts the people writing these reviews probably aren't playing with a full deck. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeking psychiatric help- I'm bipolar/addiction issues/anxiety the whole nine yards. I've been seeing Dr. Dorfman for a long time. I feel like with his skills and efforts he helped save my life from self-destruction. He is extremely intelligent- bookish and might come across socially awkward at first. That might be off putting but he is a very empathetic person. Though, keep in mind, he is a psychiatrist, not a psychologist. If you need more in depth help sorting out your feelings- go see a counselor.In my experience the medication just provides the springboard for the task of doing what it takes to keep it together. It might take some time to find the right course. Where the rules of the office are concerned- he is not a primary care doctor- you won't be seen at the drop of a hat. I don't think that's unusual. If you're really in that bad of a shape go to the ER. Also, you can't short yourself medication and then blame someone else who is helping you try to clean up the mess. I learned that the hard way. I recommend Dr. Dorfman and I feel like I'm sticking up for him here. Note, he's dumping insurance- so that's kind of a drag, but so is insurance.

February 9th, 2014
Worst experience I've ever had
From the first time I saw Dr. Dorfman, I knew something was a bit wrong. He has no emotion, no sense of caring, and if you do attempt to ask a question that goes against exactly what he wants, I could tell his temper gets full of rage. It was odd at first, but on my last appointment it was abusive, and somewhat scary. Dr. Dorfman went on a personal tirade against me, blaming me for my condition, saying I am a burden upon my loved ones, and upon him. (he's supposed to be a mental health doctor, I know). It was so cruel, so forceful, and so in my face....I was stunned, shaken, and horrified. I've seen many doctors in my time, and he is BY FAR the worst and most unprofessional one ever. Do yourself a favor, bypass this "doctor". Do NOT see Dr. Dorfman. He is a nightmare.

January 16th, 2014
Have been a patient of Dr. Dorfman for a couple years now. He listens, doesn't rush me, doesn't push medications. I moved out of the area, and still will make the drive to his office, until I find another doctor that I feel as comfortable with.

April 15th, 2013
Dr. Dorfman was rude and verbally abusive to my son who has anxiety. The doctor is hostile and has significant anger issues. When my son complained that a prescribed medication made him feel worse, Dr. Dorfman turned on him like a pit bull. IMO, don't go to him; his behavior is extremely unprofessional!