Dr. Michael Cohen MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6
  • 23 reviews

September 7th, 2016
Actually CARES about his patients
I've been seeing Dr.Cohen for several years, after developing several neurological issues during a pregnancy. Sometimes you may have to wait ( AT EVERY DOCTORS OFFICE) but once he comes in to see you, he will be attentive and caring and not leave until either a resolution has been found or plan has been made...He has answered his phone many times at absurd hours when I experienced strange sensations and needed his medical advice regarding urgent care...never found a doctor who actually cares for his patients the way Dr.Cohen does. He has always been there for me in need and squeezed me in to busy schedules. No doctors experience will feel great ( BC YOU HAVE A PROBLEM) but having answers and treatment options definitely makes me leave happier than I was going in...

December 18th, 2015
Spent time explaining everything and his staff has been working with hospital to get me an appointment.

November 11th, 2015
Horrible, took to long to get an appointment. Rude Rude staff DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME

November 9th, 2015
Regretted going there
Copious note taker, but is cold mannered and dismissive of complaints and concerns. Didn't try very hard to find answers or solutions . Told me my falling from a height of 18 feet backwards would have certainly caused brain damage but it wasn't in his notes when it came time for discovery in my workers compensation suit and that led to me losing my case. The last time I saw him he simply said "maybe you're becoming demented" without any explanation. I won't ever go back there again.

September 28th, 2015
While often gruff, Dr Cohen knows neurology inside and out.

July 27th, 2015
Patient Concern
Dr. Cohen was my neurologist for over 6 years. During this time, I experience lack of professionalism, no compassion, poor customer service with staff, demeaning comments, and overall frustration! Due to my severity of my illness, I was unable to change doctors and therefore had to endure Dr. Cohen for this long period of time. I DO NOT recommend anyone receiving care from this doctor!

July 3rd, 2015
First visit
No bedside mannor and did not even knock on the door when he wanted to come in. The office also needs some updating.

February 25th, 2014
new patient
Im a fairly new patient of Dr.Cohens. so far i am very pleased with the stafford location, the staff and the dr himself. he is very efficient, straightforward and attentive. i will continue to be his patient and i recommend him to others.

July 31st, 2012
THIS IS THE BEST DR. MY WIFE HAS SEEN FOR HER M.S AND SHE HAS SEEN A LOT OF M.S. DR.THANK YOU DR COHEN

June 22nd, 2012
Patient of 4+ years -- Office has gone downhill
Dr. Cohen was impressive in his knowledge of his fields of practice but his bedside manner can be gruff at times. There were occasions where he could be overheard raising his voice to his staff.I found his staff to be quite rude. The nurse and receptionists seemed unconcerned with patient privacy as they would make very rude remarks about patients that were on the telephone using their first and last names. One receptionist blurted out that she does not get paid enough to deal with Dr. Cohen's stuff (she used a cuss word). Another receptionist appeared to be crying. The nurse has been absolutely rude to me.I appreciate the abilities of the physician but for the last year or so the office has restructured and has just gone down hill. Their computers constantly crash and neither the doctor nor his staff every really seem to be in at least a respectful or happy mood.

June 3rd, 2012
Back Then...
My review is based on when my first husband saw Dr. Cohen. From 1981 -1988, the doctor teated my husband for a terminal brain tumor. When we first saw him, he was a young eager doctor. He was caring and enthusiastic. Over the course of seven years, he matured as a doctor. I was in college and ended up working in cancer research labs at NIH and in Boston. I often wondered what became of Dr. Cohen. Towards the end, my husband didn't deal well with his terminal condition. I needed a professional and not a friend, Dr. Cohen had trouble making that transition. When we finally moved closer to my work, Dr. Cohen refused to visit my husband in the hospital or hospice. My husband asked for him and blamed me. Our insurance would have paid him for the visit, he was still our Doctor of record. Because he didn't visit, or insurance company allowed other doctors to make decisions which resulted in us being dropped from our 2 plans and my being left with a debt that took my house and ruined my credit. It took me 15 years to pay off the debts, a hard widowhood.I don't blame Dr. Cohen, he was very young and trying to grow a shell and create his future. I watched many Doctors make this transition when I managed cancer labs. Sadly, from these reviews I see Dr. Cohen took the path of least resistance, to grow a hard shell and alienated his patients, just when they need his compassion. His mentor at Georgetown was a good example of the other path, compassionate detachment.I am glad I found this site, it has given me the closure I needed. I tried to contact Dr. Cohen by mail, I explained in my letter how he could have helped and that I forgave him. My letters were returned unopened and labeled "unread" with warnings to not contact Doctor again. I was shaken and hurt. I certainly was not stalking him. Perhaps, if he'd been more mature, he'd be a different man now, but I doubt it. This is very sad, there are probably lives he could have saved but didn't due to his character. I do hope his later patient's families fared better than I did.Bottom line: he is an excellent diagnostician. He is not your friend, he is your mechanic. Demand comapassion and understanding from your family, friends or church NOT from your brain mechanic.

March 7th, 2012
Overall Poor experience
I had a poor experience, am waiting a month for my results and he made decisions "for me" .not actually listening "to me" about my past health history, etc... I wont go back