Dr. Michael Gelb Is this you?

2.8

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Michael Gelb?

Posted on April 25th, 2015

Paid thousands of dollars for nothing

Posted on August 22nd, 2013

Dr. Gelb should not work with patients but rather in a lab writing for medical journals. During a crisis he is more interested in CYA of his notes than helping the patient!

Posted on November 14th, 2011

Dr. Gelb is the best psychiatrist I've ever been to. I appreciated how much time he spent with me. I moved and have been trying to find a new psychiatrist in my area, but haven't met any one as good as him.

Posted on August 4th, 2011

For 2 months I agonized being on Geodone. It was destroying my life and instead of taking me off of this horrible drug, he kept insisting on increasing my dose. I ended up in the hospital and it took me another 2 months to recover. I finally made it back to work and have been more than functional for the past 1 1/2 years. Dr. Gelb was more interested in working with my boyfriend than in helping me. My boyfriend became irritated in the way he totally disregarded my care. I ended up only using Dr. Gelb for my medication referral. I would never recommend his service. He is more impressed with medication than in truly helping patients.

Posted on December 18th, 2009

I was unable to find any other psychiatrist who both took my coverage and was within a mile of my home; I literally called 30 doctors and all were either booked out two months or not accepting new patients (I later heard from a few sources in the psychiatric community that there is quite a shortage of MDs in Portland). Dr. Gelb was available about a month out, so I took the appointment. In the interim, my depression greatly worsened and I was hospitalized. I hate to say it, but he might've intentionally "thrown the interview" when he found out that I had pretty severe depression because he didn't want to deal with a more difficult case. He was arrogant, humorless, patronizing, impatient, and negative--he didn't bother to shake my hand or in any way attempt to make me feel welcome. Quite the contrary: he said in the first five minutes: "let's get this straight: if you're not seeing this therapist, I WILL NOT work with you," without even giving me a chance to express my excitement about working with said therapist. I left there quite depressed and a bit angry about some of the things he had said. I only saw him once, but that was quite enough; perhaps he's pleasant enough once you get to know him, if you don't need complicated care; I certainly can't comment on his competence, either. But it seems to me that bedside manner is of utmost import if you're a shrink--if you can't even be nice to your new patients, I really think it's time to throw in the proverbial towel. Perhaps I should've anticipated sub-par service since he was the only shrink psychiatrist available, when all of his peers were busy. Dunno.

Posted on July 24th, 2017