Family Practitioner, Surgical Specialist

16030 Ventura Blvd
Ste 400
Encino, CA 91436
818-986-8822
Locations and availability (1)

2.5

Some ratings provided by CitySearch. Yahoo.
 |  Rude, Arrogant, Lacks Compassion!  |  show details
by Leslie B on Nov 12th, 2013

My MRI showed a small rotator cuff tear and arthritis. I was in pain when I saw Dr.Hollander, but he told me that he thought I was "faking it to get attention". He is a very strange man, who violates HIPAA regularly by talking to patients about their care in his hallway. He lacks compassion and behaves in an insulting manner. Go to another doctor if you want excellence in your care.

|  The surgery was a nightmar  |  show details
by Harry on Sep 17th, 2013

My first appointment with Dr. Hollander-which I reviewed earlier- was terrific. Since that time though, I can say that the treatment I’ve received has been terrible. It turned out that he did recommend surgery. I agreed to have a menisectomy/chondroplasty to remove the loose bodies, and repair cartilage damage. Dr. Hollander told me the surgery would take 28 minutes and I’d walk out of the hospital on my own two feet. More importantly, I would be able to return to my Zumba classes almost immediately. At 81 years old Zumba is my passion. The exercise is good for my physical and mental well being. Prior to the surgery I was given stacks of paperwork to sign, which I now see does list the potential for pain and swelling. However, I’m 81 years old, and it certainly wouldn’t have been too much to ask that I be informed of the post-surgery side effects that I might experience. The surgery was performed on Monday, August 12th. My expectations going into surgery was that I would go in, have the surgery, and walk out shortly thereafter. Suffice to say, my post-surgery recovery has not been smooth sailing. I could barely walk out of the hospital following surgery, because I was in blinding pain. No one offered me any kind of aid in walking. In fact, my friend who picked me up insisted on returning so that I could get an assistive walking device. My leg was swollen from mid-shin up to my upper thigh. My toes were black and blue. I was given a walker, and a cold therapy device to help with the swelling of my knee. The walker was a nightmare to use, and in fact Monday evening became a horrible nightmare. No one ever suggested it might be helpful for me to have someone stay the night with me, to help me. The pain of getting out of bed was excruciating. Moreover the pain rendered me unable to even shower, for a full week after the surgery which is frankly, mortifying. The fact that I was not properly informed of these post-surgery side effects is simply unacceptable. Even as I write this, almost a month after the surgery, I cannot walk without pain, and my knee remains swollen twice the size it should ordinarily be. I called Dr. Hollander’s office on Tuesday, the day after my surgery, only to be told that he’d gone on vacation and that she had no solutions for reducing the pain, or coping with the problems. I called again on Wednesday and spoke to another staff member who did apologize for the nightmare I’d been dealing with, yet he couldn’t provide any help other than to wait to see him the following week. Basically, I was told to ride out the pain, discomfort and humiliation. I’m incredibly disappointed in both the information I was given before the surgery, and the outcome of this surgery. I haven’t been able to return to Zumba, as I’m still barely able to walk. I sincerely hope that this serves as a warning to other patients of what they may be setting themselves up for even if the surgery is supposed to be 28 minutes and immediate recovery.

|  What a terrific experience  |  show details
by Harry Dictor on Jun 28th, 2013

Last week I went to see Dr. Hollander for knee pain. I’d had my right knee cap replaced years ago, and now my left was giving me some trouble. Obviously, I was a bit apprehensive about going to have it checked out, as I wanted to avoid another replacement. But from the moment I got there, I could tell that I was in good hands. Everyone on Dr. Hollander’s staff made me feel like I was the only patient they had. That is, they gave me 100% of their attention. At 81 years old with Alzheimer’s, I unfortunately drew a bit of a blank when Dr. Hollander asked about my medical history. It didn’t deter him a bit. He continued with his examination-stretching and maneuvering my knee. When he had finished, instead of immediately recommending surgery (like some doctors do), he suggested that we do some more investigating, before jumping to any conclusions. Dr. Hollander’s assistant Frank took me for a few X-rays, which took less than five minutes. After I finished, Cathy, another staff member sought me out to let me know that I needed to move my car from where it was parked, in order to avoid having my car towed. The entire team at Dr. Hollander’s office was completely on the ball, with everything. I was in and out in less than an hour. I can’t say enough how much I appreciate the thoroughness, efficiency and helpfulness of the entire staff. They took incredible care of me, showed tremendous patience with my choppy memory, and went out of their way to ensure I didn’t get my car towed away! It is obvious to me, that Dr. Hollander and his staff really do care about their patients’ overall wellbeing.

|  The Good & The Bad  |  show details
by A.F. on Apr 12th, 2013

I can see what others are talking about when it comes to the relaxed way Dr Hollander does business - going in and out of the hallways and talking to patients in the hallway without closing any doors, or speaking to his nurses about other patients with the doors open so everyone can hear. Also, I have had to wait to see him for over an hour after my appointment time, which was quite annoying. So he really does need to get his "office protocol" act together for sure. Also, I have heard that several patients have had their cars towed away if they parked on Ventura Blvd when going to see him, because sometimes they are made to wait so long that it's past the parking time allowed. Personally I found it careless and unacceptable that his office staff can't even be bothered to put a sign on their office door reminding patients that cars will be towed off Ventura Blvd after 3:00, or for the office staff to remind patients of this fact if they are checking in anytime close to 3:00. That's just common courtesy I would think. No one wants to pay $500 out of pocket simply because a doctor runs late and no one bothered to mention that cars are towed away as early as 3:00 in front of their building, when most other areas of Ventura Blvd don't tow until 4:00. So be aware people because no one in the office seems to care or inform you of this! But on the good side, I found the doctor to have a wonderful bedside manner. He spent a lot of time explaining things to me, and wanted to avoid surgery, and even quarterzone shots, at all costs. I feel that he is conservative and cautious with giving out medication or surgery too quickly, which is great. He also placed several follow up calls with me, even months after my appointments with him were long since past, just to see how I was doing. Most doctors don't even care once you are done with paid appointments to see them. I had a knee injury that probably does need eventual surgery but with the physical therapy he prescribed it feels a lot better and I can get back to a 90% normal routine now. Sometimes you "click" with a doctor and other times you don't. For me, I feel like Dr. Hollander and I did "click" and he was a good fit for me, and did help my injurty the most safe and conservative way possible. He does have some office issues he should improve upon though, for sure.

by Jennifer d. on Apr 6th, 2013

My experience at Dr. Hollander's office was great he was recommended by a friend who he repaired her shoulder. His staff was very pleasant the girl was extremely helpful.

Mar 28th, 2013

He saved me from having surgery that another wanted to do. With rehab i was better in a couple months. His staff was great and always treated me good.

|  Unprofessional and Rude  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2012

I had an appt at 10am and asked if i could change it to 11am. They said I had to be there at 10. I rushed to be on time. Then I had to wait for an hour to see the Doctor, when he walked in at 11am and asked me how I was doing, I advised well it would be better if I hadnt waited an hour and his reply was "He could recommend another Doctor for me to go to". I advised him if thats your attitude you are not the Doctor for me, and as I was leaving he walked away and made a chuckling sound. So much for waiting for two weeks to see him.

|  Nightmare  |  show details
Nov 13th, 2011

My husband went in because had pain in his shoulder and could not raise his arm. Dr. Hollander said he was full of arthritis and there was nothing he could do. He suggested that my husband learn to play golf with the opposite hand. He was rude, arrogant, and walked out of the room while we were still asking questions. We went to SCOI for a second opinion where he was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder for which he is currently in physical therapy. We have never been treated so rudely by anyone. It was quite shocking.

|  Violated HIPPA  |  show details
Jun 6th, 2011

Speaks with patients in hallways and leaves exam room doors open. I shouldn't be able to hear another person's diagnosis nor should they hear mine, very unprofessional. He spent very little time with me, all of which he was quite arrogant.

|  Worst experience of my life  |  show details
May 18th, 2011

I couldn't agree more with "Butcher of Encino" I saw this "doctor" for a possible surgery on my elbow. He kept running in and out of the room talking to his nurse, while I was trying to explain my problem. He was very rude to me. He grabbed my elbow and started shaking it around, I almost jumped to the ceiling in pain. No social graces, no common courtesy. I ran out of there happy I didn't sign up for surgery with him. I can't believe there are doctors like this in Los Angeles. I went to Cedars and was treated like a patient.

|  Butcher of Encio  |  show details
May 15th, 2011

This guy should have his license revoked!!He screwed up my shoulder surgery royally.I had to goto USC to have his work "undone"It cost me 9 months of my life!!DO NOT make the same mistake I did.Do your homework before choosing a good doctor.

|  ACL  |  show details
Mar 10th, 2011

I tore my ACL playing Basketball and went to see Doctor Hollander the next day. He was very up front and advised a couple of options. One option was to hold off on the surgery and try rehab of the leg to strengthen around the area. The other was to get the surgery. I opted for the former reasoning that if it did not work I could always get the surgery. After one month of rehab I was feeling confident in the knee. After two months I was back on the court. This was 8 years ago and I am still able to play whatever sport I would like. I believe his approach worked out well for me and continue to recommend him to friends. On another note, he also worked on my wife's torn ligament in her right thumb. The surgery went well and she is back to complete usage of the hand.

|  difficult to deal with  |  show details
by danielle5963 at Citysearch on Nov 21st, 2010 on citysearch.com

definitely not my type. he was very self centered and I felt that he came first and then his patients

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
Nov 16th, 2010

One of the rudest doctors ever. Arrogant and abrupt and je acts as if you're wasting his time, which you're paying for. Office staff is pleasant but disorganized.

Sep 24th, 2009

I HAVE BEEN TO THIS DOCTOR SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE PAST 8 YEARS. I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND HIM TO BE KIND AND UNDERSTANDING AND QUITE INFORMATIVE. I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO RECOMEND HIM. MY OVERALL EXPERIENCES WITH DR. HOLLANDER HAS ALWAYS BEEN EXTREMELY GOOD.

|  pleasently suprised  |  show details
Feb 17th, 2009

i have been to many many doctors and he was the nicest and most knowledgeable. He was extremely polite and took all the time i could ever ask for in answering questions and addressing concerns.

by the dude on Feb 17th, 2009 on yahoo.com

This Doctor is Great, caring takes time to make sure you understand what is going on and what options you have. Very intelligent and knowledgeable. spends lots of time with his patients during visits. Will take time to answer any questions or concerns that may arise.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com
 |  excellent orthopedic surgeon  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Jan 31st, 2009 on insiderpages.com

Dr. Hollander is not only a fantastic surgeon, but a great advocate. Due to a serious accident, I required 2 surgeries with Dr. Holland...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
 |  Good Shoulder Specialist  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Sep 28th, 2008 on insiderpages.com

Dr. Hollander has treated several of my family members. He is always very courteous, and really takes the time to find out what we are feeli...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
Nov 14th, 2006 on yahoo.com

Protect your privacy.: The dr. gave me my dx. in the hallway where another patient and staff were standing. I felt I got "the bumb's rush." When he told me I needed to see a specialist, he walked into another patient's room and told me to call another dr.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com