Dr. Michael Hollander MD Patient Reviews

3.4

• Good
  • Bad

May 24th, 2016
I had shoulder surgery with this doctor and ended up having to have the first surgery corrected by a well-known surgeon at UCLA. It was an awful experience. 4 years later I am still having issues with the bicep groove where he cut the bicep.

June 28th, 2013
What a terrific experience
Last week I went to see Dr. Hollander for knee pain. I’d had my right knee cap replaced years ago, and now my left was giving me some trouble. Obviously, I was a bit apprehensive about going to have it checked out, as I wanted to avoid another replacement. But from the moment I got there, I could tell that I was in good hands. Everyone on Dr. Hollander’s staff made me feel like I was the only patient they had. That is, they gave me 100% of their attention. At 81 years old with Alzheimer’s, I unfortunately drew a bit of a blank when Dr. Hollander asked about my medical history. It didn’t deter him a bit. He continued with his examination-stretching and maneuvering my knee. When he had finished, instead of immediately recommending surgery (like some doctors do), he suggested that we do some more investigating, before jumping to any conclusions. Dr. Hollander’s assistant Frank took me for a few X-rays, which took less than five minutes. After I finished, Cathy, another staff member sought me out to let me know that I needed to move my car from where it was parked, in order to avoid having my car towed. The entire team at Dr. Hollander’s office was completely on the ball, with everything. I was in and out in less than an hour. I can’t say enough how much I appreciate the thoroughness, efficiency and helpfulness of the entire staff. They took incredible care of me, showed tremendous patience with my choppy memory, and went out of their way to ensure I didn’t get my car towed away! It is obvious to me, that Dr. Hollander and his staff really do care about their patients’ overall wellbeing.

April 12th, 2013
The Good & The Bad
I can see what others are talking about when it comes to the relaxed way Dr Hollander does business - going in and out of the hallways and talking to patients in the hallway without closing any doors, or speaking to his nurses about other patients with the doors open so everyone can hear. Also, I have had to wait to see him for over an hour after my appointment time, which was quite annoying. So he really does need to get his "office protocol" act together for sure. Also, I have heard that several patients have had their cars towed away if they parked on Ventura Blvd when going to see him, because sometimes they are made to wait so long that it's past the parking time allowed. Personally I found it careless and unacceptable that his office staff can't even be bothered to put a sign on their office door reminding patients that cars will be towed off Ventura Blvd after 3:00, or for the office staff to remind patients of this fact if they are checking in anytime close to 3:00. That's just common courtesy I would think. No one wants to pay $500 out of pocket simply because a doctor runs late and no one bothered to mention that cars are towed away as early as 3:00 in front of their building, when most other areas of Ventura Blvd don't tow until 4:00. So be aware people because no one in the office seems to care or inform you of this! But on the good side, I found the doctor to have a wonderful bedside manner. He spent a lot of time explaining things to me, and wanted to avoid surgery, and even quarterzone shots, at all costs. I feel that he is conservative and cautious with giving out medication or surgery too quickly, which is great. He also placed several follow up calls with me, even months after my appointments with him were long since past, just to see how I was doing. Most doctors don't even care once you are done with paid appointments to see them. I had a knee injury that probably does need eventual surgery but with the physical therapy he prescribed it feels a lot better and I can get back to a 90% normal routine now. Sometimes you "click" with a doctor and other times you don't. For me, I feel like Dr. Hollander and I did "click" and he was a good fit for me, and did help my injurty the most safe and conservative way possible. He does have some office issues he should improve upon though, for sure.

April 6th, 2013
My experience at Dr. Hollander's office was great he was recommended by a friend who he repaired her shoulder. His staff was very pleasant the girl was extremely helpful.

March 28th, 2013
He saved me from having surgery that another wanted to do. With rehab i was better in a couple months. His staff was great and always treated me good.

February 16th, 2012
Unprofessional and Rude
I had an appt at 10am and asked if i could change it to 11am. They said I had to be there at 10. I rushed to be on time. Then I had to wait for an hour to see the Doctor, when he walked in at 11am and asked me how I was doing, I advised well it would be better if I hadnt waited an hour and his reply was "He could recommend another Doctor for me to go to". I advised him if thats your attitude you are not the Doctor for me, and as I was leaving he walked away and made a chuckling sound. So much for waiting for two weeks to see him.

November 13th, 2011
Nightmare
My husband went in because had pain in his shoulder and could not raise his arm. Dr. Hollander said he was full of arthritis and there was nothing he could do. He suggested that my husband learn to play golf with the opposite hand. He was rude, arrogant, and walked out of the room while we were still asking questions. We went to SCOI for a second opinion where he was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder for which he is currently in physical therapy. We have never been treated so rudely by anyone. It was quite shocking.

June 6th, 2011
Violated HIPPA
Speaks with patients in hallways and leaves exam room doors open. I shouldn't be able to hear another person's diagnosis nor should they hear mine, very unprofessional. He spent very little time with me, all of which he was quite arrogant.

May 18th, 2011
Worst experience of my life
I couldn't agree more with "Butcher of Encino" I saw this "doctor" for a possible surgery on my elbow. He kept running in and out of the room talking to his nurse, while I was trying to explain my problem. He was very rude to me. He grabbed my elbow and started shaking it around, I almost jumped to the ceiling in pain. No social graces, no common courtesy. I ran out of there happy I didn't sign up for surgery with him. I can't believe there are doctors like this in Los Angeles. I went to Cedars and was treated like a patient.

May 15th, 2011
Butcher of Encio
This guy should have his license revoked!!He screwed up my shoulder surgery royally.I had to goto USC to have his work "undone"It cost me 9 months of my life!!DO NOT make the same mistake I did.Do your homework before choosing a good doctor.

March 10th, 2011
ACL
I tore my ACL playing Basketball and went to see Doctor Hollander the next day. He was very up front and advised a couple of options. One option was to hold off on the surgery and try rehab of the leg to strengthen around the area. The other was to get the surgery. I opted for the former reasoning that if it did not work I could always get the surgery. After one month of rehab I was feeling confident in the knee. After two months I was back on the court. This was 8 years ago and I am still able to play whatever sport I would like. I believe his approach worked out well for me and continue to recommend him to friends. On another note, he also worked on my wife's torn ligament in her right thumb. The surgery went well and she is back to complete usage of the hand.

November 16th, 2010
One of the rudest doctors ever. Arrogant and abrupt and je acts as if you're wasting his time, which you're paying for. Office staff is pleasant but disorganized.