Dr. Michael Mcmanus MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

January 20th, 2013
One of the best doctors!
I had cancer when I was 17 and have been in remission for 5 years. He has and was always so very caring about my health. He tried to make you understand what was going on and even drafted a diagram of my blood cells to make me understand. I see him on a regular basis still and always wish he was a family doctor as well. He always allowed you to have an opinion and encouraged for the best!!! He made my stays in the hospital comfortable, whatever I needed he attempted to get for me a comfy bed, exercise machine ect.. He also was caring towards my family and made them feel comfortable. He always takes his time in our appointments even though I am healthy. I consider him to be one of the best doctors out there and would tell everyone to see him and give him the chance. He really does care and that is hard to find.

August 30th, 2012
Great, knowledgeable Dr.

October 24th, 2011
I came to Dr. McManus as a 19 year old pediatric patient. I always felt like I was given enough information and choice in my treatment that I felt like we worked as a team rather than having a doctor call all the shots. As a cancer patient, I felt helpless in a lot of ways, but this was not one of them. During treatment, he helped make my hospital stays more comfortable. The hospital allowed me to use one of their laptops to keep up with college. He went to the cafe to pick up some cookies HIMSELF for me when I wrote x10 (for 10 cookies) on my cafe menu and they sent a dietician from the kitchen to tell me that I shouldn't have them. (With a really poor appetite during hospital stays, I had to eat what I was craving and often it was cookies or Doritos). Even when I decided to end my treatment at 13 instead of 14 rounds of chemo, he supported my decision after making sure I was absolutely certain that I was informed as to what could happen. I would definitely recommend Dr. McManus and his wonderful nurses to anyone. If it were not for such kind and caring people, the treatment would have had much more of a negative impact on my life.

February 23rd, 2011
Patient Care
I find Dr. McManus and his staff to be efficient for the most part. They are willing to explain things many times to my family and myself. I do feel that Dr. McManus does actually care about my son and when I pose a problem, he tries to come up with a solution.My son adores Dr. McManus and truly feels that he has his best interest at heart and is trying to save his life. The trust my son has, I feel, is over half the battle won right there.Coming to grips with a child who has cancer is extremely challenging in itself. With roughly two to two and half years left of treatment I sincerely hope I can grasp it all and to gain a better understanding of it all so I can be of better use to my child.The schedule is grueling and unrelenting in the beginning. It is the hardest thing a parent can go through with their child and not know if they will even live. Watching them get sick, lose weight, and have low immunity with every treatment, and then there are the shots. I do have issues with appointments, as no one seems to know exactly how many days we will be in the hospital and I have received contradictory information. But I addressed the issues as they arose.With cancer, as I am coming to understand, does not allow for a perfect schedule or treatments, every child is different and reacts differently each time so schedules and treatments need to be adjusted. I feel that Dr. McManus and his staff do very well , given the nature of the specialty Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and the number of patience they see. Keep in mind the first time patients take more time and may need to be squeezed in, which would explain the longer wait times. Also remember your first visit there and the questions you had?

October 8th, 2008
dr. death
this doctor is one of those doctors who needs to be removed from pediatrics department for kids. he has been our care provider for my child and everytime something goes good he always finds away to make our hopes be shot right down. he doesnt take the time to listen to a child when they are hurting, or they want to go home all he cares about is shoving more poison into a child who is in remission for years. then the funny thing is not only does one child relasp but than 3 others do as well. i tell ya he is a man who does not care.... a man who does not know what us families go through dealing with every day life and still dealing with a sick child. he dont know what its like to get needles shoved in his back week after week and expect everything to go ok... he tries to play god when he only specializes in one thing,,,, cancer and cancer only! I would not recommend this doctor for nothing.............

September 5th, 2008
This doctor has a control problem and does not seem to care for women
I am one of several mothers who have this doctor and we have found that he is condescending to mothers but not fathers. He will not hesitate to call protective services if blood counts do not go according to his plan when there are home medications, (#1 not every child's body reacts exactly as it should, #2 Isn't there enough stress in the household without defending yourself all the time). This doctor does not work well with primary physicians. This doctor makes me feel as if he is not telling me everything. There are long waits to hear what the treatment plan will be.