Dr. Michael Jakobsen MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

March 30th, 2016
Abusive
When I called the office after my throat surgery, they put Dr. Jakobsen on the line as the doctor on call. I told him that I can't breath through my nose, and asked him what I could do without hurting my throat, he told me that I should use this line for only life threatening emergency calls and hung up the phone on my face. This was not an emergency, and I didn't call 911. I just called the number that they gave me after surgery. The operator on the phone was as much shocked and frustrated as I was. I've never seen such an insult from a doctor. I feel lucky that I'm not his patient. I would never see him if there was no other doctor left on earth.

March 16th, 2015
Best Dr. ever

January 18th, 2015
Dr Jakobsen after two months of seeing other Drs got the Diagnosis right. Well in a few days. I have see him for yrs.

February 5th, 2014
Bad Experienc e
This doctor spent little time with me and didn't seem to want to listen to my problems. Went because of constant ear aches and nasal drip. Never addressed these issues. When bending over had been experiencing a little going to one side when raising up. He said nothing wrong with ears or sinuses, but needed balance therapy. .Would not listen to me about my daily aerobics and balance. Sent me home with order for balance therapy at Total Balance Solutions (which must be owned by them). Called office next day to seen is there was another place near me where I could go. They never returned my call. Called again the following week - same story. They have not bother to answer my calls. Called my insurance company's nurse line and they had not heard of the therapy for my symptoms. He also treated me like an old person. Every symptom I mention he said were age related. WOULD NEVER GO TO THAT OFFICE AGAIN!

October 22nd, 2013
Very Pleased!
Dr Jakobsen treated my son this past summer for a probable thyroid glossal cyst. After surgery he told my husband and I that it was not a cyst, but probably lymphoma. We made an appointment immediately at City of Hope and it was a follicular lymphoma, Stage1. He is now in treatment and all doctors feel this will be his cure. If not for Dr. Jakobsen, he may have had the growth for a much longer period and the outcome could have been different.

October 16th, 2013
Let Me With Questions
I read all the other reviews, and decided to write one of my own. I could see what some were saying, both good and bad. I went to this doctor because of a chronic hoarseness that began after a new medication by another doctor was prescribed. So, I had suspected that the laryngitis was caused by a medication my allergist gave me (Spirvia), but the allergist wanted me to see an ENT for GERD. Thus, I booked the visit. I told Dr. Jakobsen my concern about the drug, but after he used a scope down my nose and throat, he said immediately that I did have Gerd, and gave me 2 prescriptions, one I took in the morning an hour before eating and one at night before bed. One of these made me very sick and I quit taking them both. For my own peace of mind, I stopped taking Spirvia and lo and behold the laryngitis went away. My allergist acted like I was the ONLY person in the world who had this side-effect with Spirvia. NOT true. All you have to do is Goolge this drug. I went back to see Dr. Jackobsen for a possible sinus infection and told him that I quit Spirvia and my symptoms went away. He didn't admit he was wrong with his DX and just arched his eyebrows. As far as my new problem, he claimed I didn't have an infection but something is causing pressure. He said I had nerve problems. Really? so that is why I am blowing my nose like a fool? My neurologist doesn't agree. Instead, Dr. Jakobsen wanted to talk about hearing aids. (They'd taken a hearing test that day). His recommendation of double hearing aids too me aback, and now I'm not sure what to do--I can hear, I do have some issues, but double? I have tinnitus and sometimes it's better than other days. That day it was bad. I told him, but he shrugged it off when I told him it's in the brain not ear and hearing aids might not help. I know ppl with the same issue and hearing aids didn't help so I really wanted to understand this before I go down that route. He didn't suggest a repeat test, or any other info about tinnitus. Some drugs make it really bad. Like Advil's, aspirin, etc. I told him this. But nothing. Also I take a pain medication that can cause hearing issues but he shrugged that off. I just didn't come away with enough answers about my hearing, but now he gave me grave concerns about my ears. He said there was nothing I could do that they would get worse. Before I left he said I "could get an Xray" of my sinus if I wanted But left to me. I'd rather a doctor tell me what is wrong and not leave it to me to find out. I liked his bed side manner, he put me at ease, actually, and I didn't see any arrogance as another reviewer pointed out, maybe overwhelmed with work--and rushed to the next exam room--both times I saw him, I felt hurried and couldn't really get things across--I don't like doctors who hear what one doctor said to me and take that as what's wrong... and he just did that--well, you have GERD because the allergist said that--but not sure he listens carefully to the issue--or imagines me might be wrong (aka the Gerd)--but when I disagreed with him, he didn't get in my grill about it. I didn't see any reaction, actually. I'm supposed to FU with him but I think I'll see someone else, which is a drag because I did like him otherwise. His office is really a train station. When I walked in, I couldn't believe the size and amount of people in there. It can be a bit of a shock. They do move you at a reasonable wait time, though, but it's a zoo. I found the staff very nice. Another reviewer didn't, but I chatted with quite a few both times and found them pleasant. I used to be a manager for doctor's staff. I'd say that maybe they do a bit too much personal talking at their front desk, and they might remember people can hear them talking (even me). The back office desk looks disheveled, and if I worked there I'd get that in shape. Piles of papers and charts and just needs overall straightening. The audiologist (MD?) who took my hearing test was VERY professional and I liked her very much. In the end, I like doctors who listen, see what you're taking as far as medications, and pretty much know the direction... Dr. Jakobsen rushed me out--just an older lady...Is he a bad doctor? I don't know about the other reviewers. I think if I push the issue, he'll take other actions with me, and he's competent for what I saw him for, just not sure what to make of my two appointments. No one called to see how I was doing, and I just didn't come away feeling cared about. Maybe that's too much to hope for.

August 31st, 2011
I just saw Dr. Jakobsen a few weeks ago and I must say I was impressed. I usually see another doctor at the same office, but I wanted to see Dr. Jakobsen because he had recently seen me in the hospital. When I did a follow up at his office, he took the time to explain what he thought was going on and what tests I should need in the future. He answered all the questions I had and I left the appointment with confidence. The only thing I didn't like was the wait time was around 30 minutes. But I'm assuming that's because he doesn't rush his patients like other doctors. The staff is exceptional as well

May 31st, 2011
Brilliant doctor that actually cares about patients
He's a really amazing ENT for all ages and spends the time a patient needs and deserves with their doctor. His surgical skills which I needed twice were fantastic to treat two issues I had. He was thorough, complete and kind

April 5th, 2011
Jacokobsen should not be practicing medicine
To the concerned patient and others that have complainted about him. Dr. Jacokobsen and his office staff have earned his reputation as a bad doctor. He is unethical, uneducated and outdated in the medical field. My mother was diagnosed with a rare cancer in her skull. A cancer that in not-curable and has a high recurrence rate. I know this because our family DID the research...Dr. Jakobson did NOT. Without doing any research, he recommended only 1 option- radical surgery - a rhinotomy, orbitotomy/orbit exenteration removing nose/eye. In other words he wanted to cut half her face off (I won't even go into the medical terms). So, we didnt go to him for surgery but we did seek educated doctors and experts in the field who could not believe what Dr. Jakobsen had recommended. They called his technique "mutilation" and "ill-advised". Unfortunately, Dr. Jakobsen's referral would not allow the insurance to move forward with the proper treatment my mother needed. My family then met again with him to educate and ask him to change his recommendation based on valid research and 5 other expert referrals that mentioned that surgery should not be an option (or) that at the least my mother should seek those that were informed of her cancer of which Dr. Jakobsen was not (nor did he seek knowledge of). Dr. Jakobsen refused to change his referral and would not support us in getting insurance approval for suggested by the experts. He said that if we didnt have an "HMO this would not have happened". He blamed the "Obama administration". He said it would be a "$600, 000 expense" to the medical group (of which he had made that mistake once before). Those were his reasons. Eventually, we appealed his decision with our insurance and we did receive the proper care at 1 of the best facilites in the nation; keeping in mind that Blue Cross/Blue Shield approve this type of treatment - we're not talking about experimental treatments. My mother wakes up everyday now and doesnt have to put on a nose, eye or teeth in the morning as Dr. J suggested. Oh, and about his bed-side manner. When he told my mother about what he would do to her based on his ONLY option, she said she was "about to get sick" in the room...he then walked out of the room and left her alone. He doesnt deserve to be practicing. There are other terribile reviews by other on numberous website - I wish we would have read them prior to seeking this doctor.

March 16th, 2011
Poor
I needed surgery to remove a Lipoma(benign) from my neck. He spent a total of 5minutes explaining the procedure. I had additional questions and was put in a different exam room for 20minutes. Dr Jakobsen came in and was bothered by my last 3 questions. He coldly told me to see the receptionist to schedule surgery. I choose another MD. 3 days later his assist. called and rudly asked if I was going to have the surgery with Dr. Jakobsen.He could not pay me to visit him

March 3rd, 2011
GREAT EXPERIENCE
This was my 2nd visit to see Dr. Jakobsen. First time was in the fall when my daughter got hit during cheer and broke her nose. Dr. J made her feel very comfortable and explained everything that needed to be done to get her back to "normal"... fast forward to now and my son went to see Dr. J and it was determined that he had "mono"... Dr. J was very informative in what that meant and how to handle/treat the "mono"... his staff, especially Clara, was amazing! Very sweet! She even sent me 2 faxes I needed in order to get my son "cleared" at school... I had them within 10 minutes of leaving a message! Can't get any better than that service! Great overall experience!!

January 5th, 2011
very disappointed
Very bad experience,he took all what I had left in my insurance for the rest of the year (700.00!!)for one single visit!!!!! He charged for ear wax removal, I didn't feel any relief, I found another Dr who charge only 125.00 and clean my ear for REAL. This doctor is just a money hungry man. I do not recommend him AT ALL. Don't waste your money.