Dr. Michael Gordon MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9
  • 21 reviews

July 12th, 2016
Back Surgery
I have nothing but good to say about Dr. Gordon, Newport Orthopedic Institute, and Hoag Irving and all it's employees. The entire organization is excellent, very knowledgeable, and pleasant to deal with.

July 4th, 2016
MD
I had a difficult procedure that was arduous and long. I was told that this was how it would be . Dr Gordon was honest friendly and sincere. The nursing was friendly and competent

May 6th, 2016
Dr. Gordon
Dr. Gordon explained everything clearly and patiently!

March 29th, 2016
Back in November, I had a micro discectomy on my L4.5 because of lower back pain, numbness, and tingling in my left leg. Well, my symptoms have not gone completely away (nerve damage from the compression can take up to a year to get better), my back pain has been greatly reduced, numbness has gone away, and there is only a little tingling in my leg. What I liked about Dr. Gordon, he didn't push me to get back surgery right away, and I tried several rounds of PT before opting for my surgery. My only suggestion to him is to slow down a little, sometimes, I felt rushed when asking him my questions. But, I guess that is what happens when trying to see so many people in a day. I highly recommend Dr. Gordon!

February 23rd, 2016
Professional and Concerned
At 67 years of age and several prior back surgeries I am at a critical point in my care facing a major surgery. Dr. Gordon has been more than my doctor acting as my partner with his concern, insight, and patience. Dr. Gordon has taken all the time necessary to share his thoughts both risks and rewards of major surgery. I completely believe I am in the best hands possible.

February 9th, 2016
Unplanned Upper Spinal Surgery
I was scheduled for surgery involving fusing the C5 and C6 together. I ended up having (emergency) decompression neck surgery because of swelling in my left arm and an MRI that indicated a mass in my neck. Dr Gordon's prompt and unending initial efforts resulted in the decompression surgery that allowed for the finding bacteria on cultures taken from mass removed during surgery. I was very fortunate that Dr Gordon had a knowledge of potentially what was happening with my left arm and upper spine and used the resources available to remedy the situation. He made sure I was informed and answered all questions from my wife and I. Dr Gordon did an unplanned but necessary decompression surgery, didn't give up on what caused this swelling, and pursued this through to a conclusion that took almost a week. I'm so glad he's my surgeon.

December 15th, 2015
Back surgery
I have been impressed by the skill and knowledge of Dr. Gordon. I would recommend him to anyone I know that needs spinal surgery.

December 2nd, 2015
Great Surgeon
I first used Dr. Gordon in 2012 for a discectomy revision from a prior surgery of the L5, S1 that had been done back in 2009. The best way I can describe my first results from Dr. Gordon work was I felt better after three weeks of Dr. Gordon doing the revision surgery than I did after 3 years from the first surgery. Seriously was a total different level of pain relief compared to the first surgery. Strength, movement everything was better than I had felt in over 3 years. Speed up to 2015 and my disc at L5, S1 just had nothing left to it. The bones at one end were touching and there was no alternative but to do a fusion. This time Dr. Gordon recommended an ALIF as well as re opening the old incision on my back to make sure no disc material that could have been missed from the ALIF would be left in there. Dr. Gordon was very clear about this being a tough surgery. Think about it, he is cutting in the front to get to the back, and then also cutting in the back. My, my.... Recovery, The back pain after the surgery was gone. 2 nights in the hospital and I was out. But it's the recovery from actually doing the surgery that makes the first week pretty tough. After getting thru the first week, week 2 is all about walking and just walking. I was after the best results possible and felt I choose the right surgeon and right procedure, but it was up to me to do all the recovery steps just as directed. After following what is recommended to walk, ice, walk ice, lay down, don't bend lift or twist. I WAS WALKING 2 MILES A DAY AT 2 WEEKS AFTER MY FUSION SURGERY. Sitting for any length of time took longer, and the motion of a car not a thrill. The office also does a great job to stay in touch with you in the days after. They use an online system to check in with you by email to ask questions of recovery as well as answer any questions you have along the way. The email is nice so you can respond to it when the time is right for you not try to jump to a phone call. The email questions and answers to your questions, gives you a great no concerns or worries feeling during the whole recovery. This constant staying in touch lasted an entire month after the surgery. Look a bad back is a bad experience, period. Using the office of Dr. Gordon makes what is always a bad experience in life as comfortable as possible while you wait for the procedures to get you fixed up. After the procedures, it's up to you. You can't lay around, you have to move, walk, ice, eat right, sleep lots, wait, and wait on getting back to regular activities. Dr. Gordon can give you the best procedure. It's up to you to get the best recovery.

November 9th, 2015
Review of surgery
Good clarification of the surgical procedure. I appreciated the contact before surgery to answer questions and prepare. It helped reduce anxiety also.

October 20th, 2015
+I liked Dr. Gordon's "down to earth" approach in explaining very complicated medical terms and helping me understand what was going on with my back.

October 8th, 2015
Spinal stenosis
Dr Michael Gordon put four spacers in my spine between C-3 and C-7. Prior to the surgery my left bicep was withering and I was experiencing a lack of feeling in the fingers of my left hand, however I never experienced pain. After reviewing the MRI and the neurologists report, Dr Gordon quickly diagnosed the problem and proposed a plan of treatment, recommending surgery quickly due to the degree of stenosis. Jicki efficiently worked with my insurer, obtained the necessary approval and held my hand through that stage of the process, The surgery went fine and I was home after two nights. Dr Gordon had warned me of a possible problem with swallowing and it persisted for almost two months, gradually lessening. My wife became quite adept at using the food processor and I learned to eat less and slower, which has helped me to achieve some needed weight loss goal. The surgery is now one year behind me and I feel fine, my bicep is coming back and feeling in my fingers has fully returned. Dr. Gordon did a GREAT job, his staff was efficient and treated me with respect throughout!

October 4th, 2015
Successful major spinal surgery
Dr. Gordon successfully corrected my degenerative spinal conditional and I have total faith in his diagnostic and surgical skill. The entire office staff is extremely friendly and helpful. No 'balls were dropped' in handling my case complicated case.