Dr. Michael Lai MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.4
  • 18 reviews

January 13th, 2017
HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE
I saw Dr. Lai and was treated so poorly. He is very vague in what he says. When you ask questions he becomes very angry! The day that you became a doctor...isn't that the day you decided to be compassionate and care about the people that come to see you and pay for your services. Left feeling devastated and degraded.

December 27th, 2016
Excellent t doctor! Asked questions that have never been asked of me before. After dealing with symptoms of a few disorders for years, I feel like I am finally getting some answers. I would not hesitate to recommend him to friends and family.

March 25th, 2015
Poor Listening Skills
He doesn't listen to what I have to say. I'm changing to a new doctor.

December 18th, 2014
Humiliated and Defeated
Let me start off by saying that if I ever heard someone say they were going to see Dr. Lai I would absolutely tell them to reconsider. My experience was on the verge of humiliating. Before I can talk about my appointment though, let me point out I waited 45 min past my appointment time to be seen. Once I was finally seen, Dr. Lai spent a few minutes looking at all my past blood work from the last three months, asked about the weight I had gained, and other symptoms I was experiencing. He began to ask me about a typical day's diet and exercise. Since I'm having weight issues out of the blue I've cut my calories to 1200-1300, but according to the Dr. "Common sense should tell me that if I'm not losing weight eating 1200 calories than I need to be eating less". What kind of doctor condones starvation? I was devastated; as anyone who had put on over 40lbs in about 2.5 months. More blood work was ordered, but no thyroid test because he didn't feel it was necessary even though I asked for it. Six weeks after my appointment I finally spoke to someone who was actually able to find my records. I told her I knew the new labs were abnormal because my primary doctor went over them with me and I wanted to know when someone was going to contact me; preferably an endocrinologist. The nurse/tech told me it was my responsibility to call 48-72 hrs after blood work is done. She ignored the fact that I had called 8 times in 6 weeks, but nobody ever knew where the results were. When I finally spoke to Lai he told me that my labs were "for the most part normal and I was probably just stressed getting my blood drawn". I asked about follow up labs to make sure nothing was getting missed and he said no. "My issues can easily be handled with diet and exercise" was the last thing he said to me. Dr. Lai is rude, condescending, is in the practice clearly for the money, and only knows how to make people feel even worse about themselves and their bodies. Thankfully I got in with another doctor last week and she of course tested my thyroid. Guess how those results came back? Hypothyroidism!!! In one week's time I've been put on several medications and have had nothing but support from my new Dr. Hopefully now, after wasting so much time with Lai, my body and I are on the road to recovery.

February 22nd, 2013
I was referred to dr lai, one visit to his office less than 5 minutes spent there, I had a thyroid uptake scan I had to call the lab to get my own results as the dr doesn't know how to return a phone call. The following week went for labs and again no response from him I again had to call the lab to get my results. When I called his office to ask why I had to pay my co pay when I did most of the work his office assistant started yelling at me, I asked for her name she started yelling again saying no I will not give you my *** name and then hung up on me. This office is seriously neglectful they do not care about your health, he should loose his liscence and that crazy woman should be in an unemployment line. NO PROFESSIONALISM IN THERE AT ALL. I say run and find a new dr.

August 2nd, 2012
Nice surprise!
Before going to my appt. I read some of the comments, I was very apprehensive about the doctor, his staff, the level of customer service, etc.I must say that I found the doctor to be very professional, caring, knowledgeable and patient.He was able to pinpoint what I needed and put me at ease regarding my diabetes. His staff were excellent, great customer service and his PA Cindy is tops! I just love her! Overall, now I am confused about the low ratings I reviewed. Did you review the right doctor? Don't let them scare you, doctor is awesome.

July 6th, 2012
Staff is great, doctor has the worst attitude I have ever seen in my 50 years!
The staff was always polite, the doctor is rude, doesn't like overweight people, even when they are only a few pounds over weight. He BROWSES through your labs, does NOT go over your history with you AT ALL, only talks about diet, yells at you, doesn't listen...matter of fact, he cuts you off. He doesn't even remember you when you come back...the ONLY thing that made him behave when when my husband came with me! Folks just do yourself a favor, find a better doctor.

March 9th, 2012
Dr. Lai has been treating my type II diabetes for several years. He asks the right questions and has kept my BP etc numbers in the healthy range. I am 72 years old and was first dx'd with diabetes 19 years ago. No heart problems which would by the most worrisome complication.

February 29th, 2012
Would never refer him
This doctor is extremely rude, condescending, only cares about your weight regardless if you're not heavy, yells at you, puts you down, doesn't review your history unless you MAKE him, doesn't medicate you properly....I would NEVER recommend him to anyone. I have since changed doctors and yes, I have dropped 20 pounds without trying because my levels are stable. Caring is such a simple thing to do, but this doctor doesn't have that capability.

November 23rd, 2011
Good Doctor
Dr.Lai caught a problem that my own personal doctors failed to see. I went in to see Dr. Lai for one endocrine problem and he found a separate more potentially dangerous one. The one I came to see him about is easily managed. The second one was only curable by surgery. Thank you Dr. Lai!

October 20th, 2011
Medically Negligent
Prescribes new insulin dosage with out having the patient follow up with glucose readings to see if dosages need to be adjusted. When called to inform that the new dosage isn't working nothing is done. ER visit for seizure is what it took!Both Dr and receptionist showed no care to patient well being only money.

July 18th, 2011
was in such a hurry, he missed the cancer
When a person has recurrent stage four thyroid cancer you would expect a physician to spend a little time with you. This was not our experience. He spent about five minutes with us. He never did an ultra-sound. He said everything looked great. We quickly found another physician who did an ultra-sound. Another cancerous lymph node was found. She was shocked that he had not done any further testing. Consumer beware.