Neurological Surgeons, Neurologist (brain, nervous system)
Video profile
Midtown East
Womakk
110 E 55th St
Fl 9
New York, NY 10022
212-486-9100
Locations and availability (2)

• Currently 3.1904761904762 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.047619047619 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  cpa  |  show details
by john on Jun 17th, 2013

arrogant over estimated dr. with a staff from h l avoid this n i

|  Changed My Life  |  show details
Nov 2nd, 2012

Dr. Lavyne changed my life. I will be forever grateful to him. His bedside manner and the time he took to explain in detail exactly what was wrong and how to fix it was unlike any other doctor I have ever been to. I would recommend him to anyone.

Oct 6th, 2012

First question to ask someone that recommends him, is when he did there surgery? Ten or twenty or even thirty-five years ago, then he might have been a top surgeon, but those days are gone . I believe I was not given all the options to the surgery I should have had. I think he took the easy way out and did the wrong surgery. Once things were not going well and my pain was worse, a variety of pills were the only option with never a follow up MRI to see what was going on. The new MRI showed a worse spine than before my laminectomy with him. When I got to the right doctor and had the correct surgery what a difference.

|  getting older...  |  show details
Jun 4th, 2012

i'm sure dr. lavyne was once a fantastic surgeon, but he is getting older - well into his 60s now - and i think his glory days have passed. he no longer operates on the brain because he only feels comfortable with spinal surgeries now. it seems crazy to trust someone's hands with your spine when they themselves don't feel like they're capable of operating on an especially delicate area (the brain). perhaps for diagnosis with a difficult case he'd be helpful, but his advancing age and some of his outdated treatment suggestions made me uncomfortable. i went to a somewhat younger doc, also at cornell, and had a terrific surgical outcome. it's just my opinion, but i'd think twice about using dr. lavyne's hands for my spinal surgery.

|  Dr. Lavyne - "The best of the best".  |  show details
by Wayne Sholl on May 6th, 2010

Dr. Lavyne's surgeries got me through the most difficult times in my life. Everything he said he could do, he did. His competence is remarkable. His manner, that of a gentleman. I required three spinal surgeries over a nine year period, it has been five years since the last and final surgery and my condition is more than acceptable compared to what may have happened without Dr. Lavyne's help. Thank you Dr. Lavyne, ...Wayne

|  An outstanding physician  |  show details
by Jay Prendergast on Feb 17th, 2010

Dr. Lavyne removed a part of a herniated disc compressing the sciatic nerve. The results were successful and immediate as he indicated. He gave a clear and accurate explanation of the problem, what the surgery would entail and what to expect during recovery. His demeanor was efficient and reassuring. The care at the Hospital for Special Surgery was excellent.

Jan 13th, 2010

He is rude and abrupt both at the appointment and in follow-up contact. His staff are also terribly rude and unhelpful.

|  Back surgery  |  show details
by Michela B. on Jan 9th, 2010

He saved my back health. He did an excellent job.

|  Dr. Lavayne gave me back my life  |  show details
Jul 23rd, 2009

Dr. Lavayne performed a micro disectomy on me. Before I met him I couldn't walk and could barely get out of bed because my back pain was so severe. I was up and walking hours after the surgery and now, six months later it's hard to remember ever having back pain. (which I feared I'd be living with for the rest of my life) He was also kind, patient, compassionate and all around the best Doctor I have ever seen. I would reccomend him to anyone sufferieng from back pain!

by Noam Szwergold on Jun 19th, 2009

In short Dr. Lavyne's office stole $450 from me. More specifically Dr. Lavyne is out of network for my insurance company (Health First). As such they need approval from my insurance company to schedule a visit. To get approval they must agree to be reimbursed by my insurance company at an agreed upon rate. However, after my visit Dr. Lavyne's Staff insisted that I pay up front and that my insurance company would reimburse me. I paid them and called my insurance company when I got home only to find out that they do not reimburse, and that they had a different agreement with Dr. Lavyne's office. Dr. Lavyne's office now refuses to refund my money and honor the agreement made with my insurance company. My understanding from Health First is that this practice is illegal.

|  Professionalism par excellence  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2008

The brilliant and accomplished Dr. Michael Lavyne performed surgery on my cervical spine several years ago. He was absolutely wonderful. I recommend him fully and without hesitation or reservation.