Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Changed My Life show details Changed My Life
Nov 2nd, 2012

Dr. Lavyne changed my life. I will be forever grateful to him. His bedside manner and the time he took to explain in detail exactly what was wrong and how to fix it was unlike any other doctor I have ever been to. I would recommend him to anyone.

Oct 6th, 2012

First question to ask someone that recommends him, is when he did there surgery? Ten or twenty or even thirty-five years ago, then he might have been a top surgeon, but those days are gone . I believe I was not given all the options to the surgery I should have had. I think he took the easy way out and did the wrong surgery. Once things were not going well and my pain was worse, a variety of pills were the only option with never a follow up MRI to see what was going on. The new MRI showed a worse spine than before my laminectomy with him. When I got to the right doctor and had the correct surgery what a difference.

getting older... show details getting older...
Jun 4th, 2012

i'm sure dr. lavyne was once a fantastic surgeon, but he is getting older - well into his 60s now - and i think his glory days have passed. he no longer operates on the brain because he only feels comfortable with spinal surgeries now. it seems crazy to trust someone's hands with your spine when they themselves don't feel like they're capable of operating on an especially delicate area (the brain). perhaps for diagnosis with a difficult case he'd be helpful, but his advancing age and some of his outdated treatment suggestions made me uncomfortable. i went to a somewhat younger doc, also at cornell, and had a terrific surgical outcome. it's just my opinion, but i'd think twice about using dr. lavyne's hands for my spinal surgery.

An outstanding physician show details An outstanding physician
by Jay Prendergast on Feb 17th, 2010

Dr. Lavyne removed a part of a herniated disc compressing the sciatic nerve. The results were successful and immediate as he indicated. He gave a clear and accurate explanation of the problem, what the surgery would entail and what to expect during recovery. His demeanor was efficient and reassuring. The care at the Hospital for Special Surgery was excellent.

Jan 13th, 2010

He is rude and abrupt both at the appointment and in follow-up contact. His staff are also terribly rude and unhelpful.

Back surgery show details Back surgery
by Michela B. on Jan 9th, 2010

He saved my back health. He did an excellent job.

Dr. Lavayne gave me back my life show details Dr. Lavayne gave me back my life
Jul 23rd, 2009

Dr. Lavayne performed a micro disectomy on me. Before I met him I couldn't walk and could barely get out of bed because my back pain was so severe. I was up and walking hours after the surgery and now, six months later it's hard to remember ever having back pain. (which I feared I'd be living with for the rest of my life) He was also kind, patient, compassionate and all around the best Doctor I have ever seen. I would reccomend him to anyone sufferieng from back pain!

Professionalism par excellence show details Professionalism par excellence
Oct 8th, 2008

The brilliant and accomplished Dr. Michael Lavyne performed surgery on my cervical spine several years ago. He was absolutely wonderful. I recommend him fully and without hesitation or reservation.