Dr. Michael Layland MD Patient Reviews

• Plastic Surgery Park Ridge, IL

3.1

November 1st, 2016
Good Surgeon, Poor People Skills
I had an inflamed gland that needed to be removed and later turned out to be cancerous. It seemed that from the moment he gave me the cancer diagnosis he actively removed himself psychologically from my case and from me. There was little communication with him and I had to depend on his clueless office team who had to go back to him over and over until he finally called me. At that point I had spoken to several doctors about the surgery and specifically about him finding out that he is considered an excellent surgeon. So we finally spoke, on a Friday night, and scheduled my second surgery. Communication after surgery was good because I had complained about it after the first surgery and ongoing. I followed up with him in the office a week after surgery and he implied that I would need follow up on a continuing basis since the cancer has a high recurrence rate, but we would talk after my next surgery. I called the office to make a next appointment and there were no notes in my file. Again, one of his clueless office people called me telling me to make an appointment through the ENT clinic I usually went to. No indication of when and no indication that the appointment should be with him. Awaiting yet another call to clarify the details. If you like communication, this is NOT the doctor for you. Competent? Yes, but a little smug and unwilling to give of himself.

September 12th, 2015
Unsatisfied Patient
I would not recommend this doctor or this practice. The office and doctors are unprofessional and rude.

June 30th, 2015
DONT GO TO THIS GUY!!!
This doctor is an absolute ripoff. Walked into the room and spent (literally) 4 minutes with us to let us know he couldn't provide an ear test on my 2.5 year old son. Too much wax in his ears. Get a Debrox solution to clean his ears out and make another appointment in 2 weeks. Ok...well we got charged $153 dollars for that. 2 weeks later (today) we wait 45 minutes for him to finally come in. If you have a 2.5 year old child you might understand that after 45 minutes that child is pretty much over the entire visit and wants out. Now that he is finally in the room, my son is over the visit and is making the process difficult for this doctor to look in his ears. "Yea well, I didn't think he would be able to sit through this test anyways so let me recommend a different doctor that handles kids to get this done for you." WHAT??? Well why did you have us make another appointment if this was your original thoughts for us to get charged another $153!!! So basically in a nut shell, we wanted to find out why a specialist told us our son was almost def so we went to this ear nose and throat guy. We spent $306 for him to tell us he had too much wax in his ears for him to perform an ear test and that he was too young to handle the test...Anything wrong here???? I think we should be refunded our money from a woman on the phone who isn't going to play stupid or the doctor himself.

January 20th, 2015
I dislike that I am being threatened to be turned into creditors because I cannot pay my bill in full. It is outrageous to think people can afford $500 a month especially when they have other bills to pay.

June 21st, 2014
Performs unnecessary testing to make money
I had seen his partner first - who prescribed an antibiotic to treat a sinus infection. When it didnt' clear up, Layland took the phone call and insisted that i come in rather than just prescribed a different antibiotic. Then, despite a clear description of symptoms, he insisted on performing a $300 test just to confirm.instead of just changing medications as I had requested. The outcome - a different medication to treat the infection and i was fine after two days. Dr's like Layland are the primary reasons our healthcare costs are skyrocketing. He could have made a decision over the phone for no cost to me. Instead, i was subjected to a procedure and paid for an unnecessary appointment in addition to the test. Ne

January 2nd, 2014
Knowledgeable and considerate
Dr. Layland is a caring and compassionate physician. I felt like he took the time to listen to my medical concerns and to connect with me. Since diagnosis, treatment and then post-treatment, I have definitely seen an improvement with my sinus issues. I have recommended hime to several of my friends.

November 9th, 2012
Arrogant, Uncaring
Knows nothing about doctoring. Has an elitist attitude and feels entitled. Please avoid at all cost

September 29th, 2012
Not happy
Poor bedside manner.Didn't know about more treatment options.

November 28th, 2011
His bedside manner is completely unprofessional. He basically wrote me off during my appointment. He made me feel like I wasted his time. I would not recommend. I read the reviews before going in, but took an emergency appointment. He took no time to talk about how I was feeling and quickly checked my neck, ears, nose and throat. The office staff is very friendly, but he is not worth the time.

October 2nd, 2011
Would not recommend him
He was not interested in my health, and showed no sign of being a caring individual. I would take my chances with any random doctor over him. He had n ...

October 1st, 2011
Worst doctor ever!
This guy is no doctor. He does not care about anyone but himself. He has no humanity, no compassion, and is totally heartless. I came in for an emergency appointment, and he made me wait 45 minutes, maybe more. He was not interested in hearing what I had to say about my medical history. He just wanted to get me out of his office as quickly as possible. I paid him 200 dollars up front, and feel like I was robbed. He spent about ten minutes with me. I'm sure he would have been in and out in 2-3 minutes, if I had not asked questions and tried to explain what was going on. He simply showed his true nature, as a soul less individual, with a black hole where his heart should be.

September 19th, 2011
I would not recommend him to anyone because he never followed up with me after my two nasal endoscopies taking also in consideration my worry and the miserable pain and discomfort that I had been going through during that period of time. On the other hand, neither the diagnosis or treatment solved my problems.