Dr. Michael Loeb MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

July 26th, 2016
Sholder surgery
Dr. Loeb was very professional and asked me lots of questions, and listened to what I was saying. He explained things to me so I could understand the procedure. He knew how important being able to go out and play football again, and got me back on the road to recovery ASAP!

July 9th, 2016
Thought I'd need rotator cuff surgery for a small tear but Dr. Loeb told me that by my having age related arthritis in the shoulder, surgery may not cure my pain. He gave me a shot in my shoulder instead to see if my pain went away. By the next day, the pain was gone. I am so happy!

May 19th, 2015
Beware of Dr Michael Loeb, Austin Orthopedic Surgeon
A warning for anything thinking about using Dr. Michael Loeb of Texas Orthopedics: I had decided to have him do a surgery on my arm (tendon, tennis elbow release surgery). I always thought that his manner VERY brusque and short with me in our interactions but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on being a good doctor/surgeon because i thought his company was well-regarded. I deceived myself, i think, that some good doctors are just naturally brusque and short with Clients. He did tell me that my surgery had a 60/40 or so chance of success so i was prepared for it not to work. Of course, the surgery did nothing and my problem remained. My main problem with Dr Loeb concerns the followup appointment a month or so after the the surgery. He asked me how my arm was and I told him it felt the same (or worse) than before his surgery...I was ok with this and ready to move on. He then told me, as if in confidence, that he would "Never allow any surgeon to go near his tendon in his arm". He made it seem that I was really stupid to have allowed him to operate in the first place. Initially, was caught off-guard. After thinking about it in the following weeks and months I decided that this disclosure of his was totally and absolutely inappropriate...Why would he tell me something like this??? Why wouldn't he just keep it to himself if he thought this??? It made me speculate whether he even did anything in his "surgery" or maybe just opened up my arm and did nothing other than close it again. I was and remain very upset this. I am about to undergo another the exact same surgery by another surgeon again, who I have researched very thoroughly and I hope to better results...If the new surgery doesn't help the problem, at least I will trust the surgeon to have done his best without any weird bias. My feeling will remain forever about Dr Loeb and the very bad experience i had with him. Beware of him and do your research on surgeons...

April 13th, 2015
Just took my son in for an appointment today. I have doctors in the family and my wife has cancer so I deal with doctors quite often. Dr. Loab was perfect. Clear, direct, and succinct communication. Got right to the point and took quick care of us. Answered all of our questions in a way that I can understand.

March 12th, 2015
I like the way Dr. Loeb looks for non surgical means to solve a problem first. Two other orthopedic surgeons wanted to operate on my "frozen shoulder" because the MRI showed a tear. He said that I could get back complete function and he would n't operate on such a small tear. He was right.

September 2nd, 2012
I love this man!!!
Excellent doctor, very smart, and good at what he does. Operates very effectly, he listens and cares about his patients. I will recommend him to anyone.

April 5th, 2012
Total Shoulder Replacement - Doing Great!
I was referred to Dr. Loeb by one of the best shoulder orthos in town for a total replacement. Dr. Loeb took a lot of time and care with me. As an engineer, I wanted to understand every step of the process and he described every aspect that I wanted to know about. One of the first things I learned from him is that shoulder replacements are relatively rare. An ortho who does high volume knee and/or hip replacements may do 5 or more a week; a high volume for shoulder replacements is like 6 per year - so you have to be careful in the selection of the MD for the surgery. Secondly, I knew before meeting him that his education and medical studies were top notch - he had studied with one of the best shoulder surgeons in the world, and had done his internship at the Campbell Clinic. All boded well for an extremely competent doctor, which is what he is. My replacement was long and difficult - my shoulder was essentially 'locked', unbeknownst to us (MRIs and xrays get you part of the way to seeing what's going on, but not all the way, unfortunately). But Dr. Loeb stuck with it through what was a long and difficult surgery, and got the job done. And beyond this, he was a friend as much as my doctor during the process and my recovery. One thing I won't ever forget was looking at my xrays post-surgery in the hospital in the doctor's 'room' on the hospital floor where my room was, which gave me a real before/after view (imagine me in my gown with my bottle and IV stand, shuffling down the hospital hall to keep up with him!). Net is that after the replacement I was out of pain for the first time in years, and back to work in about a week or so. I highly recommend him and in fact have since sent several friends to him, with varying issues. There are many docs who can work on shoulders in Austin; he is likely still the best qualified to handle shoulder replacements, especially ones as onerous as mine turned out to be.

January 14th, 2012
Total shoulder replacement!
Dr. Loeb is wonderful. Very straight forward, open & honest and also takes time to listen toyour questions and worries. Surgery was excellent with no complications. Recovery was fast and rewarding, Excellent, skilled surgeon and a nice guy besides. LMW

November 4th, 2011
Terrible bedside manner
Dr. Loeb is probably a very smart man with keen medical skills. However, the way he spoke to me and the way he just seemed rush and annoyed was totally frustrating. I had to work very hard to get him to actually listen to me. He misdiagnosed me 2 times and seemed to have a hard time thinking at all globally about what could be wrong with me. In general he was totally rude.