Dr. Michael Mellman MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

August 23rd, 2016
Dr. Mellman was dismissive in treating my father's diabetes. He was curt and only adjusted his insulin levels after his second admittance to the hospital in one month. He finally adjusted his insulin after the whole family made an appearance in his office. He had my father write down pages and pages of blood sugar levels to mail into the office. I am convinced no one ever looked at them. Despite this, my dad saw Dr. Mellman as scheduled and diligently continued to write down insulin levels three times a day and mail them in. He was admitted the hospital earlier this month with blood sugar of over 700. He was discharged without my family ever laying eyes on Dr. Mellman and died 6 days later. He had more than diabetes in the end the blame lies with many but I hope that in the future, Dr. Mellman recognizes that all patients are people with lives and families and deserve the respect and treatment the Hypocratic Oath is designed to provide.

January 7th, 2016
Wrong cancer diagnosis
I had a nodule on my thyroid and had it biopsied by Dr. Mellman. The nurse called me to tell me I had thyroid cancer and had to have surgery to completely remove it. I went for second opinion to UM Sylvester Cancer center and had their head pathologist look at my biopsy results. He determined that the cells were not cancerous after all. Dr. Mellman showed zero care, never bothered to call me himself or give me any suggestions as to what my other options were. Had I listened to him I would have to live my life with a large scar o my neck and without such an important organ such as thyroid.

October 27th, 2015
Dr. Michael Mellman has been my endocrinologist for many years
Dr. Michael Mellman has been my endocrinologist for many years and although he is busy...when it's you're turn he takes time and has pa personal interest in your health.

January 8th, 2014
Been a patient for several years.
Dr. Mellman has always listened to my needs. He never makes me feel rushed or that i am an intrusion in his busy day. He has late office hours on Thursdays to accomodate those of us who have to work and can not take the time off. it does not matter to him if you have insurance, he is there for the purpose of his patients. i think the world of him and have referred other patients to him and will continue to do so.

January 7th, 2014
I'm so glad I changed doctors
I went to him several years ago and just came across this site. So I wanted to add my two cents. After going to a competent doctor now, the new doc asked me if Dr. Mellman was practicing medicine in the 18th century. I am so glad I got out of the practice before he did any more damage to me. If you had no stars, that is what I would have checked. I am sure he is involved in many law suits.

November 26th, 2013
Please choose another endocrinologist, even though he is smart.
PROS: I think Dr. Mellman is very smart. There also seems to be a lot of staff that knows what they are doing. CONS: Had assistant call me with cancer diagnosis. I asked her for Dr. Mellman to call me to talk about the cancer dx, and she said not. I told her it was surprising that the doctor didn't call me himself with the dx. She said he doesn't do that. I have told this to my other specialists and their jaws hang open, or they say I was right to leave. The doctor should walways call with cancer diagnosis, especially first time ever. He doesn't acknowledge patients as people. During biopsy, he and staff were chatting away about weekend activities, and then robotically, he would say something to me like "one more" or "stick". Then go back to chatting about the weekend to tech.

May 5th, 2013
Former Patient
I think the worst doctor I have ever had the displeasure of not being treated by. Spends less than 2 minutes with you, asks no questions, lab results are wrong, does not call when results are alarming (even if they are wrong), staff is rude, calls in wrong prescriptions, will not give you your results. My primary had to threaten to report him to get the results, and then was so alarmed by them immediately redid the tests, which produced correct and completely different results. This guy is not a doctor, he is a money machine, and incompetent. His staff is even more incompetent, if that is possible. Stay away from this guy if you are being treated for anything. I have filed a formal complaint with the State.

April 1st, 2013
Would not believe this was possible if it did not happen to me
I have seen few bad doctors in my time, but Mellman cannot be even categorized in the same group. There is no resemblance here to any medicine, not the staff, not the setting, not the jack in the box himself. 5 minutes total was called a first visit, not asking any questions, not asking or listening to history, not offering any tests or options. The conclusion sentence verbatim: “ if your referring physician told you I can help you, they misinformed you” . That is coming from the mouse of so-called endocrinologist in relation to endocrine disorder. WOW. There are some individuals that should not be called doctors and who do not have the knowledge, the background or the morals to serve in this profession, but this person should be kept away from seeing patients by law order.

February 20th, 2013
Impatient and incompetent
I was a diabetic patient for 13 years. When the blood sugar went bad so did he. Put on insulin shots which created highs and very lows, passing out. When asked for a formula for the amount of insulin to take he did not provide it or any meaningful guidance. When asked about a diabetic pump he po-pooed it for type 2 diabetics. After a year plus of this I insisted on the pump. Only at that time did he order a blood test to see what my was insulin output. The results showed my pancreas no longer worked! After my own research I got a Medtronics Mini pump. The Metronics people taught me more in 2 weeks, including the formulas built into the pump and have worked with me in managing my blood sugar. Also, got a new doctor who is competent and whose practice is engaged in your treatment. Stay away from Dr. Mellman!

November 28th, 2012
Rushed
Have been going to Dr. Mellman since he treated me in the hospital 6 years ago. Hard to get appointments without a month lead-in time. His staff schedules about 4 people for each time slot, so he can only spend a few minutes with you. He doesn't appear to listen to you. He's forever finishing my sentences, which contributes to a feeling of being rushed. They've downright neglected to call back or call in meds for me 3 times so far. I am being seen both for diabetes and thyroid problems, and for the last lab work, he somehow forgot to order an HbA1c. So I had to wait another 4 months before that was done. There's a very unpleasant woman who treats you like a child at the inside desk. Not a well-run practice. Unfortunately, there are few endocrinologists here, so it's a captive audience.

November 12th, 2012
If you are looking for a doctor that cares about money not patients health. This is the doctor for you.

July 26th, 2012
trusted my metabolism with the man
i kind of like that his appointments with me are brief. says what he has to say; i say what i have to, and problem is remedied. i've been a patient of his for 20 years. he has addressed mt situation thoroughly and with the best of care.