Michael D Merren MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4
  • 3 reviews

September 11th, 2013
Baclofen Pump Test
About a month ago, I had a Baclofen Pump test performed on me. When the doctor started pushing the needle to get to my spinal cord I was in excruciating pain, even though I have high tolerance of pain. Every time he pushed the needle and hit a bone, I felt a lot of pain. He kept hitting different bones, until he reached my spinal cord. Last thing I remember was hearing him saying that he had reached that area. I had no recollection of what happened next. I was told that I appeared to be functional and responsive. When everything was completed, I was not able to walk, so four people took me to a wheelchair and then to the car of the friend who had taken me to that appointment. I was not able to walk when I got home, so neighbors were called for help. I was taken inside my home and left there. During the night, I fell to the floor, I got several cuts in my knee, and I past out completely. I had a seizure, and the few times I recovered consciousness, I was totally disoriented, and I kept trying to get off the floor, with little success. I heard a phone ringing a few times, but I could not figure out where the phone was. When people started worrying about me, they went to my house. Around 10:00AM, the day after I had the procedure, they got inside my house, and found me in the floor. I was incontinent, and totally disoriented. 911 were called, and when they got there, they found that my temperature was 105. If they check on me a little bit later, they would have probably found me dead. I spent 1 week at the Methodist hospital and 3 weeks at a Rehab hospital. Right now, I am doing much worse than before, my spasticity has increased, both on my leg and in my arm, my short memory is much worse, my balance is much worse, I have difficulty walking. I am having therapy at home 3 times a week, and a nurse is coming once a week. I wonder why the doctor did not use any anesthesia when he was applying the needle; I wonder why the doctor did not use any of those devices to guide the needle; I wonder why the doctor did not keep me at a hospital knowing that I was not able to walk; I wonder why the doctor did not check on me because of my condition; I wonder why he just contacted the neurosurgeon for me to have the Baclofen pump implanted without checking with me. He caused me a lot of pain, anxiety and suffering, all because his careless and his sloppiness.

August 2nd, 2013
Ret.
Very good Dr. & man. Can't be beat.

April 21st, 2012
Dr. & staff all excellent in manner & interest of patient.