Dr. Michael Stelman, MD
Family Practitioner, Primary Care Doctor
Video profile

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Very thorough show details Very thorough
by MB on Aug 27th, 2015

Dr. Stelman is very thorough and spends a lot of time assessing your condition, more than most doctors I've been too. He also listens well and answers questions cheerfully.

if zero was possible show details if zero was possible
Mar 6th, 2015

i was shocked how he wouldn't feel any of my medication, for allergies, IBS, my acne, depression, insomnia. he wanted me to come in one time for one thing. so i don't get my medication. so he cut me off my medication when it say not to. what a doctor ? he was rude and didn't listen anything I had to say. I changed doctors before I went home. don't waste your time or money.

Doctor's Response

This was one of nine unfavorable online reviews we were able to identify among the more than 17,000 unique visits to our office over eight years since opening in 2008 through our last search in 2016. We take every complaint seriously and invite patients who are dissatisfied to call us to address their concerns confidentially. To protect patient privacy we are not able to respond online specifically, but are pleased to share our general office policy. A lot of our patients have many complex medical problems requiring a dozen or more medications. Some choose to see many different specialists each of whom writes a few of their prescriptions. Others have us manage all their medications in our single office when appropriate. A patient who might ordinarily see an allergist, gastroenterologist, dermatologist, neurologist and other specialists to meet their needs at five different offices with several appointments per year in each might have unrealistic expectations if they thought I could safely meet all these same needs in a single visit. Most new patients whose exam findings support the use of their previous medications can expect the majority of those within a Family Physician's scope of practice to be refilled for a generous period until further monitoring at another appointment is necessary. For the few patients whose exam findings may not confirm that the benefits exceed the risks of certain potentially dangerous medications, further evaluation or referral to the pertinent specialist may be necessary for their own safety. I welcome like-minded patients to join my practice. For more information, please visit us at www.drmichaelstelman.com.

Worst.... show details Worst....
by N/A on Feb 26th, 2015

I asked Dr Stelman for certain blood tests during my visit and he agreed to do so. I was surprised to find out that my cholesterol was not drawn. I contacted the office and the doctor never talked to me but his nurse said that in order to have cholesterol drawn I have to visit Dr Stelman again... Why? I asked him and he did not do it. Similar situations happened before. I totally fed up with him and going to see another MD in the area.

Doctor's Response

Blood tests are ordered when appropriate for several reasons. Sometimes it is to assist in the diagnosis of symptoms whose cause cannot be determined by an exam alone. Other times it is to monitor the progress of a patient's treatment. Often, it is for screening and prevention of conditions that have yet to come to the patient or physician's attention, as recommended by the US Preventive Service Task Force (USPSTF) or other guidelines. Most tests ordered are the result of the physician's recommendation, while some are to honor the patient's specific request. The USPSTF cholesterol screening guidelines were last updated in 2008 and recommend testing for men aged 35 year and older and women aged 45 and older with increased risk, as well as certain younger patients with increased risk. Reasonable options include testing every 5 years, sometimes more often. Rarely, patients request a particular test that accidentally is omitted from an order. More often, patients incorrectly assume that the panel of tests recommended for their particular age, gender, and situation will automatically include another cholesterol panel. In either case, all our patients receive a printed order to take to the lab listing all tests ordered for their review at the time seen, for which they are welcome to request any additional testing not ordered or accidentally omitted before they leave. Lab testing can have unintended adverse consequences, including false positive results leading to complications from the risks of unnecessary treatment or surgery, and if not documented properly may lead to unwelcome bills from the lab after denial of insurance payment. To protect our patients, phone requests for lab tests are generally deferred to an in person evaluation to discuss the risks and benefits for your safety. I welcome like-minded patients to join my practice. For more information, please visit us at www.drmichaelstelman.com.

Oct 19th, 2012

He takes his time to talk to you about your health.-

Oct 11th, 2011

a great doctor extremely complet detailed and most of all caring everyone likes him

Professional, Curteous, Caring, Kind show details Professional, Curteous, Caring, Kind
Sep 9th, 2011

Love this Dr. he is awesome and so is his staff. He is professional, kind, caring, to the point and takes time with me! Staff is even better!!!!

Aug 22nd, 2011

This doctor cares more for the profit than for his patients!

Doctor's Response

We believe patient education is very important. We want you to have a comfortable understanding of the benefits and risks of any tests, medications, surgery, or other treatments we recommend before you proceed. To that end, we feel it is important that we also provide you with our best estimate of the cost of your visit, testing, and treatment in advance whenever known so you can include this information in your decision making. We would rather have you decline in advance a procedure you feel you are unable to afford at this time than discover afterward the surprise of a bill you are not prepared to bear. I welcome like-minded patients to join my practice. For more information, please visit us at www.drmichaelstelman.com.

Very poor practice! show details Very poor practice!
Jan 21st, 2011

The doctor is very condascending and seems to pass ant medical issues to other dovtors. He remarks that "This is not his area of expertise" quite often.His office personnl are extremely rude and unwilling to do much for you. I was made to see a differnt doctor for a problem Dr Stelman couldnt handle and when I tried to have Dr. Stelmans office communicate with the reffered doctor, it took me at least six phone calls to Dr. Stelmans office to get them to fax one piece of paper. This of course delayed my seeing the specialist by at least a month.With the combonation of a below average doctor and near useless office staff, there are much better choices available.

Doctor's Response

Family Physicians in general practice are charged with having basic familiarity with diseases spanning most medical specialties. Although I can provide adequate care for the majority of my patient's problems, it is my responsibility to know my limitations and appropriately refer patients needing specialty care or dangerous medications beyond my expertise. It has been my privilege working over more than two decades with my Ventura County specialty colleagues to develop a trusted network of consultants whom I can confidently recommend to my patients, even if this may entail the inconvenience of a separate visit to another physician for the sake of their health and safety. I welcome like-minded patients to join my practice. For more information, please visit us at www.drmichaelstelman.com.

Fantastic professional show details Fantastic professional
by Ventura Professional on Jul 20th, 2010

Dr. Stelman receives my highest possible rating. He was professional, friendly, and 100% focused on what I was telling him. He took care of everything possible in terms of interacting with the insurance company, and got me the medical equipment I needed much faster than I thought possible.He went above and beyond, and earned my loyalty as a patient.