Dr. Michael Stender MD Patient Reviews

2.8

February 26th, 2017
Would not recommend based on our experience
I think there should be a legal limit to the number of patients a doctor's office can take. If you have too many patients to handle in a competent manner, then you should not take on new patients and/or refer patients to doctors with the time to treat them. My mother was a stage 4 cancer patient admitted to the hospital through the ER. While still in ER, a scan was run showing that her chemo was not working. It took Dr. Stender and his associates 6 days to review this scan. In the meantime, my mother underwent a painful procedure that left her unable to walk for a week. Had we known that my mother's scan indicated that she had very little time left, I would have fought against the procedure. On the 5th day of my mother's hospitalization I was finally able to get Dr. Stender to call me (after having the nurse page him multiple times), Dr. Stender told me that he could not see why my mom would not be at that week's chemo. He was purposely vague because he (nor any of his associates) had reviewed my mother's scan. He was incredibly arrogant and spoke to me as if I had no right to waste his time. He told me he had patients in the icu that he needed to be concerned about. If you can't make the time to simply look at a scan for one of your patients that is admitted into your hospital, then you should not be their doctor. My mother's primary care doctor checked in on her a lot while she was in the hospital and called Dr. Stender's office a couple times asking him to talk to us about her scan. He received no response from Dr. Stender's office. It was very frustrating because although several doctors had reviewed the scan, nobody would tell us what it said. We were told that we needed to have Dr. Stender review it with us. Nothing positive came from Dr. Stender's care for my mother. The end of her life would have been much more pleasant if we decided to forgo his care all together. Initially, Dr. Stender glossed over the odds of the chemo working for my mom. I think many chemo doctors do this and I understand that when you are faced with choices, you want to pick the one that will give your patient the most hope. I wish chemo doctors in general would be more honest about your odds and talk more about the quality of your remaining life vs. the chance you have in delaying your death for any significant amount of time. It is very difficult for to make decisions when you are faced with your own or your loved own's death. It is made more difficult by doctors that do not want to be upfront. If I knew someone that had an appointment with Dr. Stender, I would highly recommend they find another doctor based on our experiences.

November 23rd, 2016
Man was ignorant in his own field. He believes bone scans are only for arthritis. What!? Baseline bone scans are very common and basic procedures. Do not go to this guy. (My moms bone scan showed mets even though she "didnt need one") AND very condescending attitude.....if you are going to be so POMPOUS, you better back it up with knowledge!

October 23rd, 2014
Dr. Stender spent lots of time with me - I never felt hurried - he explained everything well and with understandable examples - and he gave me time and listen to me as I expressed my opinions..

February 12th, 2014
Court Reporter
I would highly recommend Dr. Stender to anyone. I had had 3 very bad experiences with 3 other hematologists and I finally found a winner in Dr. Stender. He took the time to explain blood issues with me and not treat me like the village idiot, as others had done. I am thrilled to find such a good hematologist.

February 6th, 2014
Disappointed- not up to the Beaumont Standard for Doctors
Our first visit with Stender seemed promising. He appeared knowledgable Thereafter, each visit was a rerun of the previous. A broken record. Same story about a leukemia patient that he has treated for 10 years at every visit. My husband was stage zero and no treatment needed, just wait. Our last visit in December, Stender was rude, apparently in a bad mood. Seemed aggravated when my husband asked him a question. Talked to my husband like he was stupid. Read my husbands lab results, and did not perform the usual physical checkup - i.e.feel for lymph swelling, spleen, nor did he listen to his lungs. Seemed preoccupied with getting out of the office for the holidays. In January, 2014, left a message for him to review a CAT scan and it took multiple calls to his office to get a return call. He was not concerned at all about the CAT. I am sure there are other Hematologist/Oncologist within the practice. Recommend you find one other than Dr. Stender. I have left three messages with his office to get a copy of my husbands pathology report. No one in his Medical Records office will return my calls. It's been two weeks.....

June 20th, 2013
Does not return calls. Called several times with no response. It seemed as though our appointment was an inconvenience. Answered a text message and a phone call while in the office with a scheduled appointment. Very, very disappointed.

April 17th, 2012
Do not use this Dr if you have questions about your health, he ordered a biopsy and when the results came back I did not receive a call, then when I get the results which came back inconclusive he told me that I needed to order my own biopsy. Hello I'm not a doctor and can not do that, but he made it a point to tell me how he ordered every test under the sun so he could treat his 85 year old mother. DO NOT USE THIS DOCTOR

September 8th, 2011
Poor Communications
Patients intrust Dr. Stander with their lives and yet he cannot be prepared for appointments or follow up as he promises. I heard more about his trip to France than my mother's condition. Five phone calls to him in the past three days have been ignored. He needs to find a new profession since his patients are of no importance to him! Time for a new Dr.!

April 7th, 2011
No bedside Manners!
The office staff is fine, actually excellent when compared to the Doctor himself.The doctor was rude, socially inept, and just plainly put had no bedside manners.I would not recommended him, unless there are no other doctors available and you have an urgent need to see a doctor; but he is extremely rude, doesn't really care about the patient, and has no sense of what social etiquette it.It is not ok to discuss religion with your patients or ask what religion they are, when you have made them wait for you for over 45 minutes--even if you are of the same religion, it is unacceptable! Nor do you discuss your personal life with them, very unprofessional and inconsiderate of other peoples time!I will not be returning to Dr. Stender.

March 19th, 2011
ignorant
very poor communication, lazy, poor hygiene, always talks about himself and his mother, does not remember pts. he has seen before

July 20th, 2010
Would not be here today if not for him!

September 22nd, 2009
Didn't know what he was doing...stay away.